Is it just me...

General music discussion.
Suzanne H.
The Cheese

Is it just me...

Post by Suzanne H. »

...or does everyone seem to be getting into Joy Division these days? They seem to be massively increasing in popularity and I don't know why...it seems quite odd.

Thier sudden popularity is almost making me not want to like them anymore... :(

MadModWorld
Trashy Britpop Kid

Re: Is it just me...

Post by MadModWorld »

Their sudden popularity is making me not want to get into them.
They seem the kinda band that's better off "Underground"
Like The Velvets.
Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead...

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin »

Bands that are awesome are usually popular.

In A Rut
Dirty Punk

Post by In A Rut »

i feel the same way about the clash.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

It took me a long time to get over the fact that it's ok for good bands to be popular. Jeez, Joy Division hasn't been in existence for 28 years. When I first got into them in the mid-90s, I knew like 6 people who had even heard of them. They're awesome. People SHOULD listen to them. End of story.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Suzanne H.
The Cheese

Post by Suzanne H. »

MadModWorld wrote:Their sudden popularity is making me not want to get into them.
They seem the kinda band that's better off "Underground"
Like The Velvets.
I was already into them. And now that thier suddenly popular it's kinda scaring me...this usually doesn't happen with bands Suzanne currently likes.

Thier still good to listen to when wallowing in despair late at night though.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Suzanne H. wrote:this usually doesn't happen with bands Suzanne currently likes.
It happened to me with alarming regularity during the early 90s: my brief flirtation with grunge in late middle school, SoCal punk in high school, and Ska and Rockabilly in college all predated hipsters getting into it by the slimmest of margins.

But the Anarcho-punk phase I went through in 1996-97? Not a lot of people joined that bandwagon.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Oh how I have tried to not be bored to tears by their music. Count me out.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:Oh how I have tried to not be bored to tears by their music. Count me out.
So very, very wrong. It's almost comforting.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Suzanne H. wrote:...or does everyone seem to be getting into Joy Division these days? They seem to be massively increasing in popularity and I don't know why...it seems quite odd.

I wasn't aware that there was an uptick. I thought it had pretty much peaked with Interpol and gone back into remission. Regardless, there are far far worse bands for kids to discover.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Suzanne H.
The Cheese

Post by Suzanne H. »

Quick Story: I was at Starbucks about a month ago and I had a button on my lapel with Ian Curtis on it, and the dude who was making the coffees starts singing 'Transmission'. I was pretty fucking suprised.

And then there's my former history teacher who came up to me one day to say how much he loved 'Atmosphere'...

I'm just not used to this...

AdamRamone
Dirty Punk

Post by AdamRamone »

who the fuck is joy division?
big business it dont like you

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Suzanne H. wrote:Quick Story: I was at Starbucks about a month ago and I had a button on my lapel with Ian Curtis on it, and the dude who was making the coffees starts singing 'Transmission'. I was pretty fucking suprised.

And then there's my former history teacher who came up to me one day to say how much he loved 'Atmosphere'...

I'm just not used to this...
Old people tend to like old music?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Suzanne H. wrote:...or does everyone seem to be getting into Joy Division these days? They seem to be massively increasing in popularity and I don't know why...it seems quite odd.

I wasn't aware that there was an uptick. I thought it had pretty much peaked with Interpol and gone back into remission. Regardless, there are far far worse bands for kids to discover.
It's effective population control.

X(

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

It's effective population control.

X(
Is that a epilepsy slur, monsieur? :hmm: