The Mighty Mighty Bosstones: A Few Mix Tapes

General music discussion.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones: A Few Mix Tapes

Post by Flex »

Per discussion with Hoy et al. I have created a few Mighty Mighty Bosstones Mixtapes (well, mix-digital-thingies) for folks who want to explore a little more of the band than just "that 'Knock on Wood' song". I've done two variations of the same mixtape, and then added a third mix that was sparked by some discussions from this morning. A note on the mp3 rips: If it's from a Bosstones album proper, then it's from a factory CD in my collection. All of them are ripped at -0 VBR so should sound pretty good. If it's from a compilation, it may be from my collection and likely ripped at a lower bittrate (I haven't gotten around to re-ripping my compilation CDs at -0 VBR) or they may be from lord-knows-where on the interwebs. Anyway, without further ado:

I'm Glad the Cave is Where I Live: A Mighty Mighty Bosstones Compilation
Download: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SXWJJY3O

About: This one is the full enchilada. Clocking in at 32 tracks, I selected cuts from every official full-length release and the non-promo EPs. As a rule, I included three tracks from each full-length album and one track from each EP. I didn't include single-only cuts and generally avoided compilation-only tracks, with a few exceptions right at the beginning. I also only used original Bosstones songs, no covers. Here are the exceptions to those rules: The first three tracks predate their first album and are only available on (now out of print) compilations. All three songs were re-recorded for their first album, but I thought including these tracks would be neat. I only included one cut from their full-length live album. I included two of the three newly recorded songs on their recent rarities compilation "Medium Rare".

Otherwise, I followed my formula. It's kind of a boring way to do it, but I wanted to be even-handed and there were enough good tracks on each album that I didn't feel I was scraping the bottom of the barrel on one album while ignoring quality cuts on other albums. Included in the download is a text file with a detailed track listing.

The Route That I Took: A Lighter Mighty Mighty Bosstones Compilation
Download: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KNT4VYW7

About: This is the much slimmer version of the above compilation. It's narrowed down to 16 tracks and makes for a pretty brisk listen. Instead of three tracks per full-length, I narrow it down to two tracks apiece for the independent albums and one track apiece for their major label heyday. The EPs and live album remain at a one-track contribution each. I slimmed down the Medium Rare contribution to one track, and only include one track from their pre-release days. This collection should give a brief tour of their work with some emphasis on their indie label material.

Again, included in the download is a text file with detailed track information.

Lights Out: A Mighty Mighty Bosstones Covers Compilation
Download: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FDM8QMZ1

About: Think of this as sort of a companion piece, I guess. Given some of the chat this morning about how we find music - and mentioning using covers as a lead - I thought it would be interesting to see a collection of The Bosstones' covers since I found a few of their albums crucial in my quest for new bands. This is a 15 track collection and, I think, I remembered all of the covers they did either on their albums, singles and EPs or on compilations. I'm not trying to make any claims about any of these covers being better than the originals (with a couple exceptions, I would agree they are not), but they're mostly pretty fun and it's kind of interesting to see which songs they've picked over the years. Included in this are a few (sort of) hard to find rarities, so it's worth checking out even if you have some of their proper albums. Oh, and it includes a cover of "Detroit Rock City" so that's... something IMCT'ish, at least.

As with the others, I've included a text file of track info - this time also including who did the original song for those curious.

I know these guys aren't the be-all and end-all of... anything, but it's hard for me to overstate how important they were to me growing up and, even if they aren't the GREATEST EVAH, I think they still hold up pretty well for what they are. Hopefully these mixes get a few folks 'round here diggin' on some 'Tones again. Enjoy!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Mighty Mighty Bosstones: A Few Mix Tapes

Post by modskin »

Thanks Pally.

Bummed that I'm missing these guys in NYC right after I move.

Saw them nearly every year from 1993-2004.. Dicky has pretty much seen me grow up, and it's always a fucking blast whenever I get to run into 'em.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

I saw them on the Question the Answers tour (with Bouncing Souls [who we arrived too late to see :mad: ] and Dance Hall Crashers). Great fucking show. One of my acquaintances drunkenly demanded they play "a little bit ugly" for the first 30 minutes of the show, so they finally broke down and did so (although it could have been on the set list already).
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I learned of it after the fact, but somehow MMB played at a Saskatoon mall one afternoon several years ago. Made no sense on any level.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I've given the "Route I Took" a few listens. I like the live tune where the guy is wearing a sweater, the song about Sonny Rollins or whoever, and some other ones. There is the song they play in Clueless and the song that was in the extended Clueless trailer which I already knew and So Sad to Say which I have and enjoy because some horn players are prima donnas.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Wolter wrote:(with Bouncing Souls [who we arrived too late to see :mad: ].
What a weird coincidence- The only opportunity I had to see this band was also ruined by my tardiness.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Still216
Hoy Without The Hoy

Post by Still216 »

Kory wrote:
Wolter wrote:(with Bouncing Souls [who we arrived too late to see :mad: ].
What a weird coincidence- The only opportunity I had to see this band was also ruined by my tardiness.
They're opening for Bad Religion when I see them this October. I will arrive ten hours early and probably still will miss them. IMCT plays a deep game.
Sit on my lap, I'm sober! - cretin
Dylan can never care about anything, not a troublesome woman, not a beleagured workingman, not a fingerless glove or sleeveless jacket, as much as Andrew WK cares about partying. - Silent Majority

HaydenWar
Long Time Jerk

Post by HaydenWar »

Have not had a chance to check this out but hopes that Impact Unit's Nightstalker from The Empty Skulls comp somehow made it on

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

modskin wrote:Thanks Pally.

Bummed that I'm missing these guys in NYC right after I move.

Saw them nearly every year from 1993-2004.. Dicky has pretty much seen me grow up, and it's always a fucking blast whenever I get to run into 'em.
Funny, I saw them at least a dozen times from 1990-1993. I remember a great show they played with Fishbone during the height of ska-core at a local club called Bunrattys. Good times.

Flex

Post by Flex »

HaydenWar wrote:Have not had a chance to check this out but hopes that Impact Unit's Nightstalker from The Empty Skulls comp somehow made it on
These were made primarily with Hoy in mind, and I didn't think he'd be able to handle any Impact Unit.

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

One Mighty is not enough. Thanks for poseing these.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Scratch that, I meant Desmond Dekker, not Sonny Rollins.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:Scratch that, I meant Desmond Dekker, not Sonny Rollins.
I know what you meant. I love that song, great "comeback" single after being dormant for so long.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex you are the man, cheers for these.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Okay, I downloaded the first one. Good choices out of the material I'm familiar with. The other stuff? Well, I'll find out.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"