Scottish bootlegs

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
simplehumblechap
Corner Soul

Scottish bootlegs

Post by simplehumblechap »

Hi folks.
Was recently moving house after divorce and found all my old punk tapes. I used to bootleg the punk gigs that we went to back in the day to listen to them again at home afterwards. Saw the clash loads of times, the jam, damned etc. Great days.
I recorded about 15-20 clash gigs from all over scotland (mostly glasgow and edinbrgh, the local shows) and thought people might be interested in them. I'm not selling them so don't think I'm doin a sales pitch here.
I'm not much of a collector but would be interested to hear other versions of the scottish gigs that were recorded. I never traded my tapes so i guarantee you don't have my versions of these shows. the quality is good because I had a modern (for the time) panasonic recorder with a good build in mic. I used to sneak it into shows by hiding it down my trousers and pulling my belly in so that the bouncers wouldnt notice the bulge. Once indoors they wouldnt see it anyway in the middle of the crowd. A lot of clubs werent fussy about you taking in such things but some (especially in glasgow for some reason) were a bit stricter.
From the details on the tape boxes these seem to be what i have. there could be mistakes though.

Aberdeen Uni, 6.5.77
Edinburgh, Playhouse 7.5.77
Glasgow, Apollo 25.10.77
Edinburgh, Clouds (coasters) 26.10.77
Glasgow, Apollo 12.12.77
Aberdeen , Music Hall 5.7.78
Dumfermline, kinema ballroom 6.7.78
Edinburgh, Odeon November 78 (cant remember exact date - lost ticket)
Glasgow Uni, 4.12.78
Dundee Caird Hall, 18.1.80
Edinburgh, Odeon, 20.1.80
Glasgow, Apollo, 21.1.80
Glasgow, Apollo, 7.10.81
Glasgow, Apollo 8.10.81
Inverness, 23.7.82 (unsure of venue! might have been the Knock Club!)
Edinburgh Playhouse, 24.7.82
Edinburgh Playhouse 25.7.82
Edinburgh Playhouse 3.5.83
Glasgow, Dukes, 16.5.85
Glasgow, Fix, 17.5.85

There were many good shows but to be honest into the mid 80s i began to lose interest a bit. The whole punk thing had died off and it was by then more about looking stupid (i seem to remember the clash themselves had some pretty ridiculous hair cuts during those last gigs) and it all seemed a bit sad by then. Stopped listening to them completely for a few decades even.
Anyway if anyone has any other versions of scottish gigs I'd appreciate knowing.
I have some damned and jam gigs too if anyone would be interested.
Steven,

ps; at some of the gigs on the early tours there was a support band full of sexy girls. I cannot remember the name. Anyone know?

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: Scottish bootlegs

Post by Rat Patrol »

HOLY SHIT, MAN!
If that's real you've got some Clash shows that have never been circulated in any form before:

Aberdeen Uni, 6.5.77
Glasgow, Apollo 12.12.77
Edinburgh, Odeon November 78
Glasgow Uni, 4.12.78
Glasgow, Apollo 8.10.81
Inverness, 23.7.82
Edinburgh Playhouse 25.7.82
Glasgow, Dukes, 16.5.85
Glasgow, Fix, 17.5.85

Plus this one that only exists from the couple tracks in the Rude Boy movie...never in original form:
Dumfermline, kinema ballroom 6.7.78

You gotta talk to this guy right here, stat! ---> bmc@gpjones.free-online.co.uk
Graham, of http://www.blackmarketclash.com. The guru who catalogs every known recording of every known Clash gig. Posts here as 'bmc'.

And this board has a tried-and-true tape triage network on either side of the pond to entrust that stuff to (see recent action here and here with some holy-grail Mick Jones finds). Plus matedog who maintains our Megalist download thread of all circulating Clash recordings.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Amazing find! Looking forward to hearing these some time in the future.

Nice one, pal.

ps. The all-girl band was probably the Slits.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote: ps. The all-girl band was probably the Slits.
Thats what I thought but then again this was Scotland.

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

Wow!

I confidently nominate this as one of the best first posts in IMCT history, welcome aboard SHC :mrgreen:

Got to be The Slits, what other all-girl bands were around back then? Raincoats?
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

simplehumblechap
Corner Soul

wow, nice to know that my stuff is appreciated.
in fact i am surprised that ANY of these shows were not recorded because EVERYONE used to tape shows back then. casette recorders had tumbled in price in the mid to late 70s. my mate brycie who i went to all the gigs with used to record gigs too. he even went down to manchester (or birmingham i think) in 77 to record the sex pistols because we both hadtickets for their scottish dates in 76 but they never showed up.

the first clash gig we went to in aberdeen was a scary experience because this gang of mutants heard our accents (glasgow) and wanted to steam into us so we had to leg it and hide amongst the crowd. we were both a bit pissed too and my mate wanted to loook for them after the gig, but i wasnt having any of it. the next night in edinburgh was much more relaxed and was a better gig, the way i remember it. that was when i saw that girl band that i mentioned. Can't remember if they supported in Aberdeen or not. most times we used to show up half way through the support slot anyway. Probably was the slits, just a bit too drunk atthe time to remember properly. I remember at that first edinburgh show there was a guy standing just 6 feet away from me, completely drunk who kept shouting "Gie's anither song ya fucking english wankers!" through the whole gig. I remember being annoyed that it would ruin the tape. lol have to give it a listen.

thanks for the tip anyway - will send that bloke an email.
Steve

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Purple Hayes wrote:Wow!

I confidently nominate this as one of the best first posts in IMCT history,
THE best!

Welcome Steven, thanks for sharing! Like Rattie said, Graham would be the guy to talk to.

Sorry about the divorce though.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

simplehumblechap
Corner Soul

Olaf wrote:
Sorry about the divorce though.
I'm sorry too... that i didn't do it 15 years ago...

have a nice weekend y'all

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Rat Patrol wrote: You gotta talk to this guy right here, stat! ---> bmc@gpjones.free-online.co.uk
Graham, of http://www.blackmarketclash.com. The guru who catalogs every known recording of every known Clash gig. Posts here as 'bmc'.
Sure, if you don't mind dealing with a genuine Member of Parliament (Labor, of course). Seriously, Graham is a diamond geezer, and he's not allowing his civic duties to stop him from maintaining his website.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Um.

Wow.

That is all.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Fan freakin' tastic. Welcome aboard the, er, board and hope you connect up with The Right Folks.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Thank you kind sir!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

I'd certainly be willing to cover the shipping and costs to digitize if you are interested. Check the pm.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
Rat Patrol wrote: You gotta talk to this guy right here, stat! ---> bmc@gpjones.free-online.co.uk
Sure, if you don't mind dealing with a genuine Member of Parliament (Labor, of course). Seriously, Graham is a diamond geezer, and he's not allowing his civic duties to stop him from maintaining his website.
Oh, Graham's adamant that BMC work is alive and ongoing. He's got partners working with him on the site.

TJM
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by TJM »

Wow. Anybody else more excited about this than the S! re-issue? Can't wait.