The Best Albums No One's Heard

General music discussion.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

The Best Albums No One's Heard

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Alright, ladies, gentlemen, trannys, and rowbutts, post some of your favourites that nobody else seems to have noticed. I'll kick it off with:
I'm too lazy/incompetent to write reviews, so read this one: http://www.stylusmagazine.com/reviews/i ... indows.htm
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: The Best Albums No One's Heard

Post by Wolter »

Don't have time to write reviews now. The first one is an awesome Rockabilly album, the second sort of sounds like early Social D but more glammy.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by esmark »

Brilliant album, not one single weak track, imho :approve:

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by esmark »

.... no comment, part from absolutely stunning album!

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

This was actually recommended by former IMCT comrade Crooked Beat:
Rob Jungklas - Arkadelphia:
Here's a review from In Music We Trust:
Think if a Blues Master struck blind by whiskey wrote the book of Revelations. Think if Heaven was a farm In Arkansas with fields open wide, and Hell was a junkyard thick with the ghosts of Cadillac's and Pickup trucks where a cold wind always blows. Now listen to Rob Jungklas' Arkadelphia, and what you hear will make you a believer of possibilities. This haunting album is Blues cooked up like meth with Jungklas' gravel voice, a musical canvas that moves from spars to complicated, and lyrics strait from the journal of a drunk preacher wandering to face his demons alone. This is a journey in music with a rhythm heavy like feet on gravel roads in "Drunk Like Son House" and "Soul of Arkadelphia" and desperate in "Hell and Helena" and "The Holy Spirit" as if building to a mad pursuit. "Human Cannonball" and "Poker Face" offer reflective moments on this album amongst a lineup that conveys a frustration to understand something so big it threatens to crack the skull. This album is worth getting just for the experience of listening to it. You can hear Jungklas rip every word and note right from his gut and by the end you can feel a tear in your own soul. Rating: A.
This is one of my favorite albums ever.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

ElvisIsKing1977
Dirty Punk

Post by ElvisIsKing1977 »

Awesome bass, saxophone, & drum surrealist jazz punk from Milwaukee in the early 80s. The drummer later went on to play with the Violent Femmes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_Tasters

http://www.myspace.com/oiltasters

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Lazy review post:
It's only fitting that the cover of this album is a rust-orange tinted picture of someone dressed as a caveman standing in the middle of a 1960's suburban street (and perhaps even more revealingly, according to the liner notes it's actually a picture someone found in a gutter): This is some of the most scuzzily invigorating caveman-garage-rock I've heard in recent years. The closing rendition of Aerosmith's "Let The Music Do The Talking" (one of two cover tunes here, the other one being "King Kong" by.... Soupy Sales???) is also appropriate, as well as a good reminder that before all the power ballads Aerosmith themselves were back-to-basic riff rockers, though in The Konks hands it sounds a lot more like a Raw Power outtake. It's thrilling to hear how much this band can do with just the barest elements (and I do mean barest; they ain't kidding about the "cheap guitars and only two lousy drums" bit, and in "Move And Shake" they even do away with drums entirely and make due with only shakers and foot stomping for percussion). Though he doesn't exhibit much of a vocal range, vocalist/drummer Kurt posesses a truly great shriek in the tradition of Iggy Pop or Mark Arm, and simultaneously manages to at least do more with two drums than Meg White does with a full set, and the guitar playing is pure primitive fury. This music is a lot more about attitude and the cheap thrills of noisy distortion and manic screaming than songwriting (what else do you expect from a band who have two entirely different songs called "Outta My Mind" and "Out Of My Mind"?), but they have that certain knack for basic but memorable riffs that tends to make or break bands of this stripe. This album's already brief 33 minutes tends to fly right by; there's nary a pause between tracks, and only the surprisingly mellow, almost delta-blues-stomp of "Honey" allows the listener to take anything even close to a breather. However, that's all the more reason to hit the play button again and listen to the whole thing one more time.

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

Should have sold a shitload more than it did, released in september '78 co-produced by Conny Plank..If you like Bowie's Low, you'll like this...

'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by esmark »

Purple Hayes wrote:Should have sold a shitload more than it did, released in september '78 co-produced by Conny Plank..If you like Bowie's Low, you'll like this...
Totally agree, but I rate the eponymous Ultravox! and Ha! Ha! Ha! much higher!

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

Some dope hip hop from Justin Warfield, now the lead singer of She Wants Revenge
Justin Warfield - My Field Trip to Planet 9 (1993).jpg
Justin Warfield - My Field Trip to Planet 9 (1993).jpg (42.56 KiB) Viewed 3827 times

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

BEWARE THE MIGHTY FUZZ FEST!
Davie Allan and the Arrows -- Fuzz Fest
Davie Allan and the Arrows -- Fuzz Fest
FUZZ_FEST.jpg (36.06 KiB) Viewed 3825 times
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

This.
Attachments
Front.jpg
Front.jpg (372.12 KiB) Viewed 3002 times

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty