Hey Doc; Party Time!

General music discussion.
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Hey Doc; Party Time!

Post by matedog »

Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Hey Doc; Party Time!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Cool. One of the increasingly few groups that I'm genuinely excited to hear something new from.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Alyssa
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Alyssa »

YES YES YES, HELL YES. This better be true. I have been waiting for 5 years to see them in concert and have been beat to the tickets 4 times. I had better get tickets this time! They are one of my favorite bands, yet I have never managed to see them live.

I'm really looking forward to hearing some new AF music as well. Can't wait!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Alyssa wrote:YES YES YES, HELL YES. This better be true. I have been waiting for 5 years to see them in concert and have been beat to the tickets 4 times. I had better get tickets this time! They are one of my favorite bands, yet I have never managed to see them live.

This is my issue too. I will see them the next possible chance I get.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
Alyssa wrote:YES YES YES, HELL YES. This better be true. I have been waiting for 5 years to see them in concert and have been beat to the tickets 4 times. I had better get tickets this time! They are one of my favorite bands, yet I have never managed to see them live.

This is my issue too. I will see them the next possible chance I get.
Getting warmer:
http://pitchfork.com/news/38237-arcade- ... the-stage/

07-02 Arendal, Norway - Hove Festival
07-04 Werchter, Belgium - Rock Werchter Festival
07-09-11 Naas, Ireland - Oxegen Festival
07-31 - 08-01 Montreal, Quebec - Osheaga Festival

Rumored to be on the Lollapalooza show too.

matedog

Post by matedog »

New tunes!
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Good stuff—very recognizable as TAF.

They're playing Ottawa's Bluesfest in July. I have no idea whether we'll be in town to go—the summer's a mishmosh of travel. If we're here, tho, I'll persuade the missuz to go.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Last edited by muppet hi fi on 08 Aug 2013, 10:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

matedog

Post by matedog »

Eight new covers for the album. WHOAAA!!!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:Eight new covers for the album. WHOAAA!!!
If you're a *real* fan you'll buy all eight. I recall the Police did that with Syncronicity—the photos were the same, but the three coloured stripes were in different combinations, creating a half dozen or so "different" album covers. Sucks to be a completist in those situations.

Alyssa
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Alyssa »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
matedog wrote:Eight new covers for the album. WHOAAA!!!
If you're a *real* fan you'll buy all eight. I recall the Police did that with Syncronicity—the photos were the same, but the three coloured stripes were in different combinations, creating a half dozen or so "different" album covers. Sucks to be a completist in those situations.
I'd only get the one on the bottom, second from the right. It's been my desktop wallpaper for the past month. Actually, I pre-ordered, so I'm not sure what they'll send me...I'll probably buy it on vinyl as well though.

Also, LESS THAN A MONTH UNTIL I SEE THIS BAND!!!

matedog

Post by matedog »

Very preliminary assessments: This album doesn't seem to have that nervous tension that the first two had (Month of May being an obvious exception). I haven't analyzed the lyrics much, but I think the theme of the album seems to be a more nostalgic look at growing up where as the first album's view of childhood, focused on the childhood phase as opposed to the entire "growing up" period, mixed innocence and whimsy with a sense of dread from the impending adolescence. I always felt Neon Bible looked outward with its dark side being rooted in Bush-era paranoia and distrust.

Anyway, this album seems to be a bit lighter and not in a bad way. A friend of mind was really turned off by the instrumentation on Neon Bible, specifically the church organ on Intervention. It never bothered me, but I was able to recognize it as maybe trying a bit too hard. This album seems to avoid this slight misstep at least. Oh and it has a Regine song that I don't completely hate. The jury is still out as to whether or not the last song on the album is a (relative) clunker like on the first two albums.

Again, I've only listened to the album maybe three times and I haven't even paid attention to any of the lyrics yet so my take could change drastically as time goes by.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's kinda cool when a highly anticipated album ends up being really fucking good.

That's it.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:It's kinda cool when a highly anticipated album ends up being really fucking good.

That's it.
Happens pretty infrequently these days...
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:It's kinda cool when a highly anticipated album ends up being really fucking good.

That's it.
Happens pretty infrequently these days...
Alan Moore's album's great. Download it, is my advice.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/