Heston's Best'uns - SLF

General music discussion.
Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Heston's Best'uns - SLF

Post by Bankrobber »

Heston wrote:[I Don't Like You - 5. Worst song on the album, you can see they're running out of ideas as the album progresses.
I can't even remember what that song sounds like.

SLF version of Doesn't Make it Allright is better than Specials, I think. Toguh call though. As Flex said, good job and kepp 'em coming.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

101Walterton wrote:Nice work Heston and glad to see you are finally coming round to agreeing with me ;) I did a post a few years back comparing IM with S/T along the lines of:
White Riot = Alternative Ulster, Career Opp's = Barbed Wire Love, P & T = Johnny Was, Rough Trade = Garageland etc..
Lemme guess, in your post, did Suspect Device = Complete Control? I think Wasted Life is a lot like Career Opp's too because of that opening line ("I could be a *soldier*")

Good reviews Heston.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Does that make "78rpm" their "1977?"
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

Wolter wrote:Does that make "78rpm" their "1977?"
That's a goofy song. Lyrically. Musically, it's pretty good.
I'm so punk, I don't even take my leather jacket off when it catches fire. Which it does frequently, because of how fucking punk I am.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Bankrobber wrote:
Wolter wrote:Does that make "78rpm" their "1977?"
That's a goofy song. Lyrically. Musically, it's pretty good.
Agreed, Jake's solo is brilliant.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

goforit.jpg
goforit.jpg (41.94 KiB) Viewed 3419 times
After the ramalama punk of the first two albums, this is where SLF decided to take their foot off the gas and stretch out a bit. Jake says his intention was to write an album where every song was a contender for a single, and though he failed on that score, this is an excellent album. Oh, and anyone who remembers the lyric sheet on the original LP version probably still has a headache!

Roots, Radicals, Rockers and Reggae - 10. An absolutely stonking opener and a searing vocal from Jake. They take an obscure Bunny Wailer track and put their own indelible stamp on it. If anyone's heard the original, this is nearly a different song, lots of new lyrics and a completely different feel. Probably my favourite SLF song.
Just Fade Away - 8. A straight up anti-love song, shot through with melody and attitude.
Go For It - 7. A brave move putting an instrumental this early on an album but it works. A great shuffling beat, loads of percussion and put to good use as their walk-on music later in their career. I still hear it getting used on tv shows, the royalty cheques probably come in handy.
The Only One - 8. Henry Cluney would sing 3 tracks on this album and this is his best. Great chorus and a wonderful solo from Jake.
Hits And Misses - 6. The weakest track on the album for me. An admirable attempt at a song about domestic violence but the tune is wishy-washy and the lyrics aren't the greatest.
Kicking Up A Racket - 8. Simple but effective, with some nice production effects.
Safe As Houses - 10. Fantastic song about unfulfilled potential, great riff, great singing, another classic.
Gate 49 - 7. Another one of their slight-but-enjoyable songs, this is a nice Rock and Roll pastiche.
Silver Lining - 9. SLF add a horn section to their sound and it works, more great lyrics and very melodic.
Piccadilly Circus - 10. Another storming end to an SLF album, this is a powerful story of a friend who was stabbed whilst shopping in London. Heartfelt vocals and a brilliant outro, top notch stuff.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

I love got for it. I just wish the horns were dirty, maybe playing lower too. I always want dirty, mean horns though.

BIG EDIT!:- I actually meant "Silver Lining" and not "Go For It"....."Go for it" has no horns.
Last edited by Bankrobber on 14 Apr 2010, 5:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Bankrobber wrote:I always want dirty, mean horns though.
I'm a little busy now. Could someone please make a filthy innuendo here? Thank you.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

ImSoBoredWithTheUSA wrote:
101Walterton wrote:Nice work Heston and glad to see you are finally coming round to agreeing with me ;) I did a post a few years back comparing IM with S/T along the lines of:
White Riot = Alternative Ulster, Career Opp's = Barbed Wire Love, P & T = Johnny Was, Rough Trade = Garageland etc..
Lemme guess, in your post, did Suspect Device = Complete Control? I think Wasted Life is a lot like Career Opp's too because of that opening line ("I could be a *soldier*")

Good reviews Heston.
Barbed Wire and Carreeer Oppps both have great pisstaking lyrics as well as the drop outs in the middle.

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

Wolter wrote:
Bankrobber wrote:I always want dirty, mean horns though.
I'm a little busy now. Could someone please make a filthy innuendo here? Thank you.
I work well as a straight man.

...cue the next joke.

Bankrobber
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Bankrobber »

I guess this is as good as any place to post misheard SLF lyrics. For years my older brother thought the chorus to "Straw Dogs" ended with "Judge Armstrong! Judge Armstrong!" and thought that was the actual name of the song.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

101Walterton wrote:There was 3 singles on the album so they probably thought 4 would be too many, still no need for Bloody Dub and a Specials cover that was barely a year old.
No one complained when The Clash covered Police & Thieves which was contemporary.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

Marky Dread wrote:
101Walterton wrote:There was 3 singles on the album so they probably thought 4 would be too many, still no need for Bloody Dub and a Specials cover that was barely a year old.
No one complained when The Clash covered Police & Thieves which was contemporary.
Lydon did.. ;)
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Purple Hayes wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Lydon did.. ;)
Yeah, but that's like saying a clock struck the hour.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Purple Hayes wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Lydon did.. ;)
Lydon complained when Matlock wrote melodies.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/