The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

General music discussion.
Post Reply
Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53553
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:I actually dont think EC can sing very well. He's gotten better as a singer at sadly the same rate he's declined as a songwriter.
Okay, I'll spend half a decade posting about how EC is a shitty singer every time someone brings him up and I'm sure you'll never get sick of it.
I bet I would. Of course, if every time someone did it, I encouraged them by getting petulant, an experienced cage rattler like Beaneater might keep bringing it up to see what happens.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29259
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:I still think both of your cries for more objectivity are tinged with your own subjective fandoms.
Ah, we don't even know ourselves well enough to check whether we think there's a legitimate grievance here. Thanks for the confidence in our own abilities to self-evaluate, buddy.

I'm signing out for a bit.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 29259
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:I actually dont think EC can sing very well. He's gotten better as a singer at sadly the same rate he's declined as a songwriter.
Okay, I'll spend half a decade posting about how EC is a shitty singer every time someone brings him up and I'm sure you'll never get sick of it.
I bet I would. Of course, if every time someone did it, I encouraged them by getting petulant, an experienced cage rattler like Beaneater might keep bringing it up to see what happens.
I'll just point out that me and Gene didn't respond to Beaner's post, we responded to yours.
YOU MADE ONE MISTAKE, LENNON, YOU DOUBLE CROSSED MIKE LOVE AND LEFT HIM ALIVE

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53553
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:I still think both of your cries for more objectivity are tinged with your own subjective fandoms.
Ah, we don't even know ourselves well enough to check whether we think there's a legitimate grievance here. Thanks for the confidence in our own abilities to self-evaluate, buddy.

I'm signing out for a bit.
I actually didn't mean to offend. At least not deeply. I was making the honest point that most people are less objective than they realize. I mean, how often do we give Hoy objective reasons why Springsteen is lame? Hell, I hardly ever give objective reasons why Bowie is God.

I apologize if that rubbed you the wrong way.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23378
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by eumaas »

I think all of our radioactive ovaries need to stop producing mutant babies right now. Let's sit down and remember that memes can't sing, and that without a lid, there is no T Rex.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 89439
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
Flex wrote:
Wolter wrote:I still think both of your cries for more objectivity are tinged with your own subjective fandoms.
Ah, we don't even know ourselves well enough to check whether we think there's a legitimate grievance here. Thanks for the confidence in our own abilities to self-evaluate, buddy.

I'm signing out for a bit.
I actually didn't mean to offend. At least not deeply. I was making the honest point that most people are less objective than they realize. I mean, how often do we give Hoy objective reasons why Springsteen is lame? Hell, I hardly ever give objective reasons why Bowie is God.

I apologize if that rubbed you the wrong way.
Man, when you've got the Christmas spirit goin', you're a jerk. ;)

(That said, in this Thought Police schism, I'm with 1st Det. Wolter on all this, but, like Wolter, no offence would ever be intended.)
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53553
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Man, when you've got the Christmas spirit goin', you're a jerk. ;)
Well, I AM listening to Phil Spector's Christmas album. That ass.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23378
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by eumaas »

Dr. Medulla wrote:(That said, in this Thought Police schism, I'm with 1st Det. Wolter on all this, but, like Wolter, no offence would ever be intended.)
Flex and I might overreact, but I think that's a product of conditioning, not innate hysteria.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

matedog
User avatar
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought
Posts: 21985
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: 1995

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote: I mean, how often do we give Hoy objective reasons why Springsteen is lame?
Here ya go
Image
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Wolter
User avatar
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Woody Allen
Posts: 53553
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:59pm
Location: ¡HOLIDAY RO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OAD!

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:
Wolter wrote: I mean, how often do we give Hoy objective reasons why Springsteen is lame?
Here ya go
Image
Okay, that made me laugh out loud.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 89439
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

eumaas wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:(That said, in this Thought Police schism, I'm with 1st Det. Wolter on all this, but, like Wolter, no offence would ever be intended.)
Flex and I might overreact, but I think that's a product of conditioning, not innate hysteria.
That's fine, but it's not like there's much that's sacred in this community. No matter what people like, there's going to be people who will react with snark. Hoy and Springsteen get it far worse than any Dylan fans. So the defensiveness about Dylan seems to me like swimming against the current.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23378
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by eumaas »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:(That said, in this Thought Police schism, I'm with 1st Det. Wolter on all this, but, like Wolter, no offence would ever be intended.)
Flex and I might overreact, but I think that's a product of conditioning, not innate hysteria.
That's fine, but it's not like there's much that's sacred in this community. No matter what people like, there's going to be people who will react with snark. Hoy and Springsteen get it far worse than any Dylan fans. So the defensiveness about Dylan seems to me like swimming against the current.
Defending Tom Waits against the authenticity duo might be swimming against the current too, but so what? You swim against the current with your fruit pie thing.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 89439
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

eumaas wrote:Defending Tom Waits against the authenticity duo might be swimming against the current too, but so what? You swim against the current with your fruit pie thing.
I wouldn't describe the authenticity argument in those terms. There's no snark or kneejerk responses, as far as I can tell, but sincere beliefs about evaluating music. Unless I'm misunderstanding that discussion.

I have my position re. fruit pie, but it's not that important to me—it's for my own entertainment. I hope I don't come off as defensive re. pies, because it is just some degree of mock seriousness.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

Olaf
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 5265
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:23pm
Location: Germanien

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
eumaas wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:(That said, in this Thought Police schism, I'm with 1st Det. Wolter on all this, but, like Wolter, no offence would ever be intended.)
Flex and I might overreact, but I think that's a product of conditioning, not innate hysteria.
That's fine, but it's not like there's much that's sacred in this community. No matter what people like, there's going to be people who will react with snark. Hoy and Springsteen get it far worse than any Dylan fans.
Remember the days of the Steak.

eumaas
User avatar
Klezmer Shogun
Posts: 23378
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 8:10pm
Location: outer space

Re: The Mighty Musical Observations Thread

Post by eumaas »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
eumaas wrote:Defending Tom Waits against the authenticity duo might be swimming against the current too, but so what? You swim against the current with your fruit pie thing.
I wouldn't describe the authenticity argument in those terms. There's no snark or kneejerk responses, as far as I can tell, but sincere beliefs about evaluating music. Unless I'm misunderstanding that discussion.

I have my position re. fruit pie, but it's not that important to me—it's for my own entertainment. I hope I don't come off as defensive re. pies, because it is just some degree of mock seriousness.
Relative to other concerns, this isn't important to me either.
I feel that there is a fascistic element, for example, in the Rolling Stones . . .
— Morton Feldman

I've studied the phenomenon of neo-provincialism in self-isolating online communities but this place takes the fucking cake.
— Clashy

Post Reply