The Collectors Thread

Music/video/real estate bartering area.
101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21556
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

The Collectors Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

As suggested by Deny this thread is for those that are collectors to let others know what they collect or what they are looking for so that other collectors can keep an eye out when spending hours going through charity shops and searching through dusty old boxes at car boot sales etc..
It is also an opportunity to chat about, discuss, ask questions as well as display your own collections!!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21556
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Collectors Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

My main collection is the 2 Tone records catalogue on vinyl. I only collect the UK issues not imports etc.
I am trying to ‘complete’ the 7” collection and whilst I do have a copy of every official release there are a few rarities I want/need including:

On silver plastic injection moulded label
TT1 The Specials - Gangsters
TT14 The Swinging Cats - Montovani (very very rare)

On blue plastic injection moulded label
TT3 Madness - The Prince
TT4 The Selector - On My Radio
TT17 The Specials - Ghost Town

Promo only issues
TTP1 The Specials - Rudie & Ghost Town / Madness - One Step / Selector - Radio
TT100 Special AKA - What I Like Most About You (different release to TT27 single issue)

The albums are much easier to find and cheaper but also interested in completing the 12” singles.
Attachments
8FF44ECB-A76E-4DEC-A487-51A9F9FC9885.jpeg

laxman
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2615
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: The Collectors Thread

Post by laxman »

That collection looks fantastic. I saw the Elvis Costello I Can’t Stand Up single on sale for silly money the other day. Promo only, never actually got released, is that correct? I hope/assume that is in your collection already?

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88935
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Collectors Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I don't have the collector's bug per se—I want the music and am completist with the artists I love, but don't care to have the physical item—but that's really impressive, 101W. Both the effort to assemble and just the visual of it all. Is completion a question of money (sellers are asking a king's ransom) or time (you're not in a hurry) or difficulty in locating the remaining pieces?
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21556
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Collectors Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

laxman wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 6:35pm
That collection looks fantastic. I saw the Elvis Costello I Can’t Stand Up single on sale for silly money the other day. Promo only, never actually got released, is that correct? I hope/assume that is in your collection already?
Yep second row on left in plain sleeve.
It wasn’t a promo it was printed for actual release as Elvis was between contracts but after they signed a deal the printed copies were given away.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21556
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Collectors Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 7:25pm
I don't have the collector's bug per se—I want the music and am completist with the artists I love, but don't care to have the physical item—but that's really impressive, 101W. Both the effort to assemble and just the visual of it all. Is completion a question of money (sellers are asking a king's ransom) or time (you're not in a hurry) or difficulty in locating the remaining pieces?
A bit of both. Some of my wants come up for sale but usually for silly money (like the £350 the other day). A couple are almost mythical and never come on the market.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 88935
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: Nerdo Crombezia

Re: The Collectors Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

101Walterton wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 7:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 7:25pm
I don't have the collector's bug per se—I want the music and am completist with the artists I love, but don't care to have the physical item—but that's really impressive, 101W. Both the effort to assemble and just the visual of it all. Is completion a question of money (sellers are asking a king's ransom) or time (you're not in a hurry) or difficulty in locating the remaining pieces?
A bit of both. Some of my wants come up for sale but usually for silly money (like the £350 the other day). A couple are almost mythical and never come on the market.
I suppose if you enjoy the hunt—that's another reason I couldn't be a collector; I'm too impatient—the elusiveness is part of the appeal, so that keeps you going.

You might enjoy a series of novels called the Vinyl Detective by Andrew Cartmel. I listened to one (didn't really grab me) about a record collector/private eye and his rare music-related cases.
Back off, or I'll blow the roof off—with sound!

laxman
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2615
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 6:05pm

Re: The Collectors Thread

Post by laxman »

101Walterton wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 7:25pm
laxman wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 6:35pm
That collection looks fantastic. I saw the Elvis Costello I Can’t Stand Up single on sale for silly money the other day. Promo only, never actually got released, is that correct? I hope/assume that is in your collection already?
Yep second row on left in plain sleeve.
It wasn’t a promo it was printed for actual release as Elvis was between contracts but after they signed a deal the printed copies were given away.
Thanks for clarifying.

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21556
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Collectors Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 7:37pm
101Walterton wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 7:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
13 Feb 2020, 7:25pm
I don't have the collector's bug per se—I want the music and am completist with the artists I love, but don't care to have the physical item—but that's really impressive, 101W. Both the effort to assemble and just the visual of it all. Is completion a question of money (sellers are asking a king's ransom) or time (you're not in a hurry) or difficulty in locating the remaining pieces?
A bit of both. Some of my wants come up for sale but usually for silly money (like the £350 the other day). A couple are almost mythical and never come on the market.
I suppose if you enjoy the hunt—that's another reason I couldn't be a collector; I'm too impatient—the elusiveness is part of the appeal, so that keeps you going.

You might enjoy a series of novels called the Vinyl Detective by Andrew Cartmel. I listened to one (didn't really grab me) about a record collector/private eye and his rare music-related cases.
Yep enjoy the hunt, spend hours searching EBay. I could only collect something that has a finite amount though, I need a target / end point which is why I don’t collect imports etc.

deny
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 637
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:20pm

Re: The Collectors Thread

Post by deny »

Sorry for the late response on this. firstly that is a fantastic collection! A lot of hours & a few Kiwi dollars invested in that I bet.
I have been collecting Clash & Stranglers vinyl & CDS. Particularly Japanese ones. I have also been collecting a few comics but more tpb as they are by far the cheapest option. Whilst I have dabbled at collecting in the past - whilst being ill this has given me something to do.

Here are the first Japanese vinyl Clash albums I collected.
Attachments
Clash albums Japan.jpg
Clash albums Japan.jpg (62.61 KiB) Viewed 2756 times
Joining the Street Parade

deny
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 637
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:20pm

Re: The Collectors Thread

Post by deny »

deny wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 5:02am
Sorry for the late response on this. Firstly that is a fantastic collection 101! A lot of hours & a few Kiwi dollars invested in that I bet!
I have been collecting Clash & Stranglers vinyl & CDS. Particularly Japanese ones.
I have also been collecting a few comics but more tpb as they are by far the cheapest option.
Whilst I have dabbled at collecting in the past - whilst being ill this has given me something to do.

Here are the first Japanese vinyl Clash albums I collected.
Joining the Street Parade

FarawayTowns
Corner Soul
Posts: 41
Joined: 20 Jan 2020, 5:13pm

Re: The Collectors Thread

Post by FarawayTowns »

The rarest Clash record I own is below. Only difference
is mine has a black and white cover Bought it at a record fayre around 1981/82. As it's an early bootleg copy it's quite collectable now I believe.
Attachments
R-5702203-1408144643-4737.jpeg.jpg
R-5702203-1408144643-4737.jpeg.jpg (18.07 KiB) Viewed 2726 times
R-5702203-1408144874-8616.jpeg.jpg
R-5702203-1408144874-8616.jpeg.jpg (18.16 KiB) Viewed 2726 times

101Walterton
User avatar
The Best
Posts: 21556
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 5:36pm
Location: Volcanic Rock In The Pacific

Re: The Collectors Thread

Post by 101Walterton »

deny wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 5:02am
Sorry for the late response on this. firstly that is a fantastic collection! A lot of hours & a few Kiwi dollars invested in that I bet.
I have been collecting Clash & Stranglers vinyl & CDS. Particularly Japanese ones. I have also been collecting a few comics but more tpb as they are by far the cheapest option. Whilst I have dabbled at collecting in the past - whilst being ill this has given me something to do.

Here are the first Japanese vinyl Clash albums I collected.
There are some great Japanese products out there but as my collection is 2 Tone label, as opposed to the bands on it, I thankfully don’t have to worry about imports!!
Are those different to the originals or just packaged differently?

FarawayTowns
Corner Soul
Posts: 41
Joined: 20 Jan 2020, 5:13pm

Re: The Collectors Thread

Post by FarawayTowns »

deny wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 5:02am
Sorry for the late response on this. firstly that is a fantastic collection! A lot of hours & a few Kiwi dollars invested in that I bet.
I have been collecting Clash & Stranglers vinyl & CDS. Particularly Japanese ones. I have also been collecting a few comics but more tpb as they are by far the cheapest option. Whilst I have dabbled at collecting in the past - whilst being ill this has given me something to do.

Here are the first Japanese vinyl Clash albums I collected.
If you are ever in London it's always worth paying Vinyl Boutique in Camden a visit. I have seen Japanese Clash imports in there amongst others.
https://vinylboutique.co.uk/about-us/

deny
Long Time Jerk
Posts: 637
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:20pm

Re: The Collectors Thread

Post by deny »

FarawayTowns wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 4:14pm
deny wrote:
16 Feb 2020, 5:02am
Sorry for the late response on this. firstly that is a fantastic collection! A lot of hours & a few Kiwi dollars invested in that I bet.
I have been collecting Clash & Stranglers vinyl & CDS. Particularly Japanese ones. I have also been collecting a few comics but more tpb as they are by far the cheapest option. Whilst I have dabbled at collecting in the past - whilst being ill this has given me something to do.

Here are the first Japanese vinyl Clash albums I collected.
If you are ever in London it's always worth paying Vinyl Boutique in Camden a visit. I have seen Japanese Clash imports in there amongst others.
https://vinylboutique.co.uk/about-us/
Thank you for the heads up. It is much appreciated.
Joining the Street Parade

Post Reply