No. 10, Upping St.

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: No. 10, Upping St.

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:I think Rock Hudson dying was actually the moment when everyone began to take notice.
This is true. It took a celebrity dying to make it real to the media. Prior to that, it was just a bunch of unknown homosexual deviants. But now it was someone whom so many thought was both heterosexual and a sex symbol. Actually rather telling about how things become "real" via the media.
This was the real shock for a lot of people that Rock was a Hollywood hearthob who had hid his sexuality.
As I recall, it was also a weird moment for the Reagans, who were friends with Rock Hudson, but were conspicuously unsympathetic to other AIDS victims. But then they were always good at employing a double standard for themselves and their friends versus everyone else.
This is why I think it's hilarious that everyone panicking about Ebola is criticizing Obama for his lack of action. It took St. Ronnie what, six years to even mention AIDS? And it was actually something people needed to be genuinely afraid of getting, unlike Ebola.
Well you can of course die from both. But it was appalling how Aids was initially handled.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: This is true. It took a celebrity dying to make it real to the media. Prior to that, it was just a bunch of unknown homosexual deviants. But now it was someone whom so many thought was both heterosexual and a sex symbol. Actually rather telling about how things become "real" via the media.
This was the real shock for a lot of people that Rock was a Hollywood hearthob who had hid his sexuality.
As I recall, it was also a weird moment for the Reagans, who were friends with Rock Hudson, but were conspicuously unsympathetic to other AIDS victims. But then they were always good at employing a double standard for themselves and their friends versus everyone else.
This is why I think it's hilarious that everyone panicking about Ebola is criticizing Obama for his lack of action. It took St. Ronnie what, six years to even mention AIDS? And it was actually something people needed to be genuinely afraid of getting, unlike Ebola.
Well you can of course die from both. But it was appalling how Aids was initially handled.
Right. I meant the average person in the US is not likely to contact Ebola.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JennyB wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote: This was the real shock for a lot of people that Rock was a Hollywood hearthob who had hid his sexuality.
Yep for sure way more risk of contacting Aids. The scare here in the UK was way over the top with Tv adverts running daily. Of course awareness is vital but you are just as likely to be hit by a bus. Practice safe sex and practice your highway code kids.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

So the question: Is No. 10 Upping St. the sixth Clash album or is Combat Rock the first B.A.D album?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:So the question: Is No. 10 Upping St. the sixth Clash album or is Combat Rock the first B.A.D album?
The boring and pedantic answer is neither, but I find it easier to see No. 10 as what might have been a Clash album had Mick not been booted and allowed to set the tone going forward. And it assumes that Topper is still out of the group, allowing for the fantastic signature percussion of early BAD. I just don't hear a lot of BAD in Combat Rock (save for a couple songs, like OBF).
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:So the question: Is No. 10 Upping St. the sixth Clash album or is Combat Rock the first B.A.D album?
The boring and pedantic answer is neither, but I find it easier to see No. 10 as what might have been a Clash album had Mick not been booted and allowed to set the tone going forward. And it assumes that Topper is still out of the group, allowing for the fantastic signature percussion of early BAD. I just don't hear a lot of BAD in Combat Rock (save for a couple songs, like OBF).
Fair enough. I hear B.A.D. ideas in the 2000 flushes sample on Innoculated City and the watch ringtone samples on Rock the Casbah. All the CR B-sides sound like B.A.D. tracks I can almost hear Don singing on First Night Back In London.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Fair enough. I hear B.A.D. ideas in the 2000 flushes sample on Innoculated City and the watch ringtone samples on Rock the Casbah. All the CR B-sides sound like B.A.D. tracks I can almost hear Don singing on First Night Back In London.
Hmm, perhaps, still too rudimentary for me to really be persuaded. I'll grant the Mustapha Dance remix of Casbah, tho, but don't know who was responsible for it.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hmm, perhaps, still too rudimentary for me to really be persuaded. I'll grant the Mustapha Dance remix of Casbah, tho, but don't know who was responsible for it.

Engineer – Bob Clearmountain - Producer – Mick Jones.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

So how does that work with remixes (forgive my dopery)? Is it the engineer who is doing the work with the producer signing off or is it mainly the producer driving the remix?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: The boring and pedantic answer is neither, but I find it easier to see No. 10 as what might have been a Clash album had Mick not been booted and allowed to set the tone going forward. And it assumes that Topper is still out of the group, allowing for the fantastic signature percussion of early BAD. I just don't hear a lot of BAD in Combat Rock (save for a couple songs, like OBF).

So how does that work with remixes (forgive my dopery)? Is it the engineer who is doing the work with the producer signing off or is it mainly the producer driving the remix?
Bit of both really. The RtC version on the Sound System box was called (Bob Clearmountain 12" mix) . I think Mick was more (instrumental) in the Mustapha Dance Mix.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote: Fair enough. I hear B.A.D. ideas in the 2000 flushes sample on Innoculated City and the watch ringtone samples on Rock the Casbah. All the CR B-sides sound like B.A.D. tracks I can almost hear Don singing on First Night Back In London.

Bit of both really. The RtC version on the Sound System box was called (Bob Clearmountain 12" mix) . I think Mick was more (instrumental) in the Mustapha Dance Mix.
Ah, okay. Thanks. Mustapha is a damned solid remix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote: Hmm, perhaps, still too rudimentary for me to really be persuaded. I'll grant the Mustapha Dance remix of Casbah, tho, but don't know who was responsible for it.

Ah, okay. Thanks. Mustapha is a damned solid remix.
Yes it is really good and another good one is The Cool Out. That mix has much more life than the album and single mix which is a great track but it just sounds flat by comparison.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Listening to Combat Rock and Innoculated City is a BAD track.

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

Marky Dread wrote:
11 Nov 2014, 12:46am
JennyB wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yep for sure way more risk of contacting Aids. The scare here in the UK was way over the top with Tv adverts running daily. Of course awareness is vital but you are just as likely to be hit by a bus. Practice safe sex and practice your highway code kids.
And "Clunk Click, every trip," as Jimmy Saville O.B.E. used to say.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
11 May 2019, 11:00am
Marky Dread wrote:
11 Nov 2014, 12:46am
JennyB wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
JennyB wrote: This is why I think it's hilarious that everyone panicking about Ebola is criticizing Obama for his lack of action. It took St. Ronnie what, six years to even mention AIDS? And it was actually something people needed to be genuinely afraid of getting, unlike Ebola.
And "Clunk Click, every trip," as Jimmy Saville O.B.E. used to say.
I'd've liked to have clunk clicked him on the head with a heavy object and then said fix that you fucker!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia