message for Mick Jones

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: message for Mick Jones

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:Agreed! and perfectly put.
But the original post was specific to a new BAD album which I dont believe we will see for the comments I wrote earlier.
I am not being pessimistic but simply realistic. Mick Is fueled by excitement and enthusiasm that is generated around him in what he is doing and this he is finding else where away from CS and BAD.
I dont see mick retiring he loves music too much to do that but if he was a footballer he may be happy to be the referee or linesman now. Its all about putting something back
Flex wrote:
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:As usual, I'm here to kill the messenger and the fun... here's the prosaic...

Mick has been in the studio producing Kitty, Daisy and Lewis, who are a young modern roots sort of singing group. In terms of music, though not so much about new songs, he's filmed a load of performances and bits with other artists and friends for Rotten Hill TV. Since Julien Temple has come aboard, the move toward editing and distributing the material has gained momentum and there is interest from a famous British television company. Mick's ideal would be to have a web outlet with episodes and clips of no set length which could then be compiled into something tidier for broadcast, but who knows?
Jokes about killing the messenger aside, I think this is rather good. Very nice, dignified "elder statesman of rock" stuff for Mick to be doing. Good on him.
I dunno, when I hear Mick on a well produced song like "Reboot the Mission", it makes me think he still has something to offer. The C/S stuff just sounded too cheaply produced and undisciplined for me. It's missing the hand of a good producer. I know this is probably due to budget restraints, but I think a tunesmith of his quality deserves much better.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:Agreed! and perfectly put.
But the original post was specific to a new BAD album which I dont believe we will see for the comments I wrote earlier.
I am not being pessimistic but simply realistic. Mick Is fueled by excitement and enthusiasm that is generated around him in what he is doing and this he is finding else where away from CS and BAD.
I dont see mick retiring he loves music too much to do that but if he was a footballer he may be happy to be the referee or linesman now. Its all about putting something back
Flex wrote:
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:As usual, I'm here to kill the messenger and the fun... here's the prosaic...

Mick has been in the studio producing Kitty, Daisy and Lewis, who are a young modern roots sort of singing group. In terms of music, though not so much about new songs, he's filmed a load of performances and bits with other artists and friends for Rotten Hill TV. Since Julien Temple has come aboard, the move toward editing and distributing the material has gained momentum and there is interest from a famous British television company. Mick's ideal would be to have a web outlet with episodes and clips of no set length which could then be compiled into something tidier for broadcast, but who knows?
Jokes about killing the messenger aside, I think this is rather good. Very nice, dignified "elder statesman of rock" stuff for Mick to be doing. Good on him.
I dunno, when I hear Mick on a well produced song like "Reboot the Mission", it makes me think he still has something to offer. The C/S stuff just sounded too cheaply produced and undisciplined for me. It's missing the hand of a good producer. I know this is probably due to budget restraints, but I think a tunesmith of his quality deserves much better.
I agree with this. We are not talking about just anybody here we are talking about Mick Jones. An older statesman of rock n' roll who knows his way 'round a decent tune or two who has plenty to offer and deserves to be making great music with top notch production.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

To be clear, Mick is performing in a lot of those RHTV clips. It's not new tunes at the moment, but he isn't quite the linesman, even if he's not usually the striker. As for a good budget, the problem is that, especially these days, one has to kowtow to the suits, and Mick never got into the game for that. Even with C/S it became a lot of business stuff when they signed a record deal. Climbing the greasy pole, he calls it, and he doesn't want to do it. How's that for an IMCT meme?
Last edited by TeddyB Not Logged In on 21 May 2014, 8:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:To be clear, Mick is performing in a lot of those RHTV clips. It's not new tunes at the moment, but he isn't quite the linesman, even if he's not usually the striker.
Two up front and there will be goals galore.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

I like , that he never kowtow to the suits, this is definately why his integrity has kept his music consistently brilliant for all these years.
I would think though there should be room for in this day and age to be able to leave the suits out of the equation.

I dont know the logistics or numbers of people that downloaded the mp3s in the past but why dont BAD or CS give their fans the option to register with subscription fee or fair payment as each phase of songs were released. The fans that pay can download direct on the day straight from the website.
No suits, distibution, middle men, packaging, production costs to worry about .Every gig should be recorded off the soundboard and released via the website in the same way too . Fans that dont pay will get the songs eventually through file sharing but may have to wait months for their listen.

It feels to me that the above could work unless of course their just isnt the call for it and its more fun looking for the offside rule
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:To be clear, Mick is performing in a lot of those RHTV clips. It's not new tunes at the moment, but he isn't quite the linesman, even if he's not usually the striker. As for a good budget, the problem is that, especially these days, one has to kowtow to the suits, and Mick never got into the game for that. Even with C/S it became a lot of business stuff when they signed a record deal. Climbing the greasy pole, he calls it, and he doesn't want to do it. How's that for an IMCT meme?

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

NoMoreHugh wrote:I like , that he never kowtow to the suits, this is definately why his integrity has kept his music consistently brilliant for all these years.
I would think though there should be room for in this day and age to be able to leave the suits out of the equation.

I dont know the logistics or numbers of people that downloaded the mp3s in the past but why dont BAD or CS give their fans the option to register with subscription fee or fair payment as each phase of songs were released. The fans that pay can download direct on the day straight from the website.
No suits, distibution, middle men, packaging, production costs to worry about .Every gig should be recorded off the soundboard and released via the website in the same way too . Fans that dont pay will get the songs eventually through file sharing but may have to wait months for their listen.

It feels to me that the above could work unless of course their just isnt the call for it and its more fun looking for the offside rule
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:To be clear, Mick is performing in a lot of those RHTV clips. It's not new tunes at the moment, but he isn't quite the linesman, even if he's not usually the striker. As for a good budget, the problem is that, especially these days, one has to kowtow to the suits, and Mick never got into the game for that. Even with C/S it became a lot of business stuff when they signed a record deal. Climbing the greasy pole, he calls it, and he doesn't want to do it. How's that for an IMCT meme?
I can't agree with the kowtow to suits comment, because we all buy milk, cheese, baked beans and cds from people in various clothing. We've eliminated Ernie the fastest milkman in the West from the equation, but wasn't he sampled by BAD? If not, why not Bernard Cribbins was in the mix.

However, the idea of a dedicated download appeals to me, although limitations are there.

I know Echo & The Bunnymen have gone down this terrace (sic), but I see hesitation in this being a model to operate on. Do you charge after recording, as is suggested here, in which case all costs are upfront, or like Mr Echo, wait until enough punters proffer their pounds until you enter the studio? Either way, blind faith is involved and no access as I can see to the mass public.

I hope, through whatever method, we get something new and meaningful. It would be a shame not to.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

The only limitation I see is security of payment and personal information.

There is no hard and fast rule I was just chucking ideas out there but the basic principle would be the band gets paid direct from fans.
It could work exactly as CS did but with the passing of money direct.

Your thoughts on men in suits is fine but its slightly different in micks case as he is the brand. You can buy milk etc from anywhere So if milk could only be sold by sainsburys and farmers had to jump through hoops to get their milk sold thats the situation mick is avoiding.I dont think it would be such a problem if BAD, CS could be sold or recorded with any record company like milk can be sold from any shop then the freedom and options are more to micks liking.

dave202 wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:I like , that he never kowtow to the suits, this is definately why his integrity has kept his music consistently brilliant for all these years.

I can't agree with the kowtow to suits comment, because we all buy milk, cheese, baked beans and cds from people in various clothing. We've eliminated Ernie the fastest milkman in the West from the equation, but wasn't he sampled by BAD? If not, why not Bernard Cribbins was in the mix.

However, the idea of a dedicated download appeals to me, although limitations are there.

I know Echo & The Bunnymen have gone down this terrace (sic), but I see hesitation in this being a model to operate on. Do you charge after recording, as is suggested here, in which case all costs are upfront, or like Mr Echo, wait until enough punters proffer their pounds until you enter the studio? Either way, blind faith is involved and no access as I can see to the mass public.

I hope, through whatever method, we get something new and meaningful. It would be a shame not to.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

NoMoreHugh wrote:The only limitation I see is security of payment and personal information.
PayPal.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Thanks Brigade my eagerness to cut out the middle man made me over look the obvious but so far not too many limitations then.

But i wanted to come back to the point of access to the mass public - the mass public dont care about BAD which brings us back full circle again

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:Thanks Brigade my eagerness to cut out the middle man made me over look the obvious but so far not too many limitations then.

But i wanted to come back to the point of access to the mass public - the mass public dont care about BAD which brings us back full circle again
The mass public don't care about The Clash but that didn't stop a big box of stuff being released.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

I am not too sure about that - the clash may not chart any more but globally they are huge. Huge enough to make a decent enough profit even today.

leaving CS aside as they just dont sell on any scale, but any best BAD recordings just wouldnt chart or come with any explosion at all locally or globally. The clash are the nearest that could hit the top 20 even in the uk if the compilation was interesting enough.

These days I have come to accept that new or unreleased BAD material is just not going happen , alas its criminal.

The only way it could work for BAD is too reduce the overheads and focus on and pinpoint where the sales are .
Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:Thanks Brigade my eagerness to cut out the middle man made me over look the obvious but so far not too many limitations then.

The mass public don't care about The Clash but that didn't stop a big box of stuff being released.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:I am not too sure about that - the clash may not chart any more but globally they are huge. Huge enough to make a decent enough profit even today.

leaving CS aside as they just dont sell on any scale, but any best BAD recordings just wouldnt chart or come with any explosion at all locally or globally. The clash are the nearest that could hit the top 20 even in the uk if the compilation was interesting enough.

These days I have come to accept that new or unreleased BAD material is just not going happen , alas its criminal.

The only way it could work for BAD is too reduce the overheads and focus on and pinpoint where the sales are .
Marky Dread wrote:

Nostalgia sells for sure just look at all the old punk bands on the treadmill. SLF and Buzzcocks have just released albums last year Big Country released a new album if they can do it then why not BAD? Personally I don't think Mick's heart is in it or else it would've happened.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

You can go into a CD shop anywhere and find Clash CD's so they must be shipping a few worldwide. Not so easy to find BAD CDs to say the least.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

101Walterton wrote:You can go into a CD shop anywhere and find Clash CD's so they must be shipping a few worldwide. Not so easy to find BAD CDs to say the least.
Yep

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:I am not too sure about that - the clash may not chart any more but globally they are huge. Huge enough to make a decent enough profit even today.

Marky Dread wrote:

I don't think Mick's heart is in it or else it would've happened.
Agreed - as I said looking out for the offside trap is more interesting these days.