Riddle

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Riddle

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

What connects Frank Ocean, Diplo and Mick Jones?

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Riddle

Post by dave202 »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:What connects Frank Ocean, Diplo and Mick Jones?
All have been ghost writers for Justin Beiber.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

A seething hatred of their fans?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

dd_
Sightsee MC

Post by dd_ »

They are currently working with Paul?

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

matedog wrote:A seething hatred of their fans?
:lol:
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

http://pitchfork.com/news/54179-frank-o ... song-hero/

Ok, i guess no one other than Matey wants to play so here's the prosaic truth. Contra the articles, Mick and Paul worked on the track this week in New York with Diplo (just yesterday in fact) after laying down the basic track last year with him at Damon's place in London. Cue ironies that the track is corporate sponsored. Levis and now Converse. A bit more Kurt than MJ or Paul.
Last edited by TeddyB Not Logged In on 07 Mar 2014, 4:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I've never heard of Diplo or Frank Ocean. Should I expect anything good?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Heston wrote:I've never heard of Diplo or Frank Ocean. Should I expect anything good?
I think they both play Death Metal. I'm hoping for something out of GEER!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:I've never heard of Diplo or Frank Ocean. Should I expect anything good?
Diplo produced a bunch of stuff with MIA (including "Paper Planes") and his own project, the occasionally great Major Lazer. Frank Ocean is part of the hip hop collective Odd Future. His solo album Channel Orange received a ton of critical acclaim. He's not a rapper, but more of an edgier R&B singer. He's also openly gay/bi which is a big rarity in that genre.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Well, yes. This is true. Diplo made a "joke" in the press statement that this is the first time he's worked with Mick and Paul directly, that for Paper Planes they only worked through their lawyers.
Last edited by TeddyB Not Logged In on 07 Mar 2014, 6:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
Diplo produced a bunch of stuff with MIA (including "Paper Planes") and his own project, the occasionally great Major Lazer. Frank Ocean is part of the hip hop collective Odd Future. His solo album Channel Orange received a ton of critical acclaim. He's not a rapper, but more of an edgier R&B singer. He's also openly gay/bi which is a big rarity in that genre.
I had this image of Frankie Ocean being a Rat Pack-style crooner.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Purple Hayes
Unknown Immortal

Post by Purple Hayes »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:
I had this image of Frankie Ocean being a Rat Pack-style crooner.
Thought it was Billy's brother and Diplo was a puppet or something, are we getting old?
'People like Coldplay and people voted for the Nazi's, you can't trust people Jeremy':- Super Hans

'Hayes ... is one of the most godforsaken places I have ever struck. The population seems to be entirely made up of clerks who frequent tin-roofed chapels on Sundays and for the rest bolt themselves within doors.' - George Orwell

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
Cue ironies that the track is corporate sponsored. Levis and now Converse.
Both are great.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Both are great.
Wasn't there some issue about Converse and Chinese sweat shops? Pretty sure corporate ownership has changed since then though.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Both are great.
Wasn't there some issue about Converse and Chinese sweat shops? Pretty sure corporate ownership has changed since then though.
Nike still owns Converse. I know there was/is an issue w/ Nike shoes and Chinese sweatshops.