Havana 3am - "The Hardest Game" on Letterman

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Havana 3am - "The Hardest Game" on Letterman

Post by Chuck Mangione »

[youtube][/youtube]

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: Havana 3am - "The Hardest Game" on Letterman

Post by Rat Patrol »

PLONK PLONK, PLONK-PLONK PLONK PLONK. . .

:twitch:

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Paul knew how he liked a band to look, didn't he?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Paul looked like he was containing a mean piss the way he was bouncing around.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Remember those old cd boxes? Those were terrible.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:Remember those old cd boxes? Those were terrible.
Those things sell for stupid amounts now. I have a friend in Rochester who makes regular trips to a record store that is sitting on hundreds of them, unsorted, originally priced. He knows which ones fetch even stupider prices (figure this out: some Dennis DeYoung solo album in a long box is especially prized) and sifts thru then sells them on eBay. Scarcity creates its own market, no matter how fucking stupid.

e.g.: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Staying-Alive-So ... _500wt_922

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Those things sell for stupid amounts now. I have a friend in Rochester who makes regular trips to a record store that is sitting on hundreds of them, unsorted, originally priced. He knows which ones fetch even stupider prices (figure this out: some Dennis DeYoung solo album in a long box is especially prized) and sifts thru then sells them on eBay. Scarcity creates its own market, no matter how fucking stupid.

Well, dangit, I never should have given them back to the record store to supposedly recycle.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Well, dangit, I never should have given them back to the record store to supposedly recycle.
Do you know the reason why longboxes existed in the first place? Record stores didn't want to carry cd's because all their racks were for vinyl. They flat out told the record companies that they wouldn't sell cd's because of the cost to buying new racks. So the compromise was to create this huge hunk of cardboard so that you could still fit a cd in without it sinking all the way to the bottom. A combination of consumer protest and—omigod—cd's were making more money than vinyl (albeit deceptively so—most of it was people buying on cd what they'd already bought on vinyl) eventually sort-of led to acceptance (tho some stores still have longboxesque security boxes). The history of the record industry is a bunch of dumb assholes getting rich in spite of their best efforts not to (hell, even the record companies initially resisted cd's because they didn't want to confuse the public with multiple formats).

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:Do you know the reason why longboxes existed in the first place? Record stores didn't want to carry cd's because all their racks were for vinyl. They flat out told the record companies that they wouldn't sell cd's because of the cost to buying new racks. So the compromise was to create this huge hunk of cardboard so that you could still fit a cd in without it sinking all the way to the bottom. A combination of consumer protest and—omigod—cd's were making more money than vinyl (albeit deceptively so—most of it was people buying on cd what they'd already bought on vinyl) eventually sort-of led to acceptance (tho some stores still have longboxesque security boxes). The history of the record industry is a bunch of dumb assholes getting rich in spite of their best efforts not to (hell, even the record companies initially resisted cd's because they didn't want to confuse the public with multiple formats).
In some fairness to the record stores, our own store had to buy a new rack recently and its surprisingly expensive. My boss basically had to halve his grocery shopping for a month (and he's frugal to begin with) to be able to pay for it. And that was for one new (well, used) rack. I'm sure the chains could have replaced all their furnishings in one go, but for a lot of indie places it would have been a fiscally insane proposition, even given that back in the day these stores were making a lot more money (racks also cost more then).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:Do you know the reason why longboxes existed in the first place? Record stores didn't want to carry cd's because all their racks were for vinyl. They flat out told the record companies that they wouldn't sell cd's because of the cost to buying new racks. So the compromise was to create this huge hunk of cardboard so that you could still fit a cd in without it sinking all the way to the bottom. A combination of consumer protest and—omigod—cd's were making more money than vinyl (albeit deceptively so—most of it was people buying on cd what they'd already bought on vinyl) eventually sort-of led to acceptance (tho some stores still have longboxesque security boxes). The history of the record industry is a bunch of dumb assholes getting rich in spite of their best efforts not to (hell, even the record companies initially resisted cd's because they didn't want to confuse the public with multiple formats).
In some fairness to the record stores, our own store had to buy a new rack recently and its surprisingly expensive. My boss basically had to halve his grocery shopping for a month (and he's frugal to begin with) to be able to pay for it. And that was for one new (well, used) rack. I'm sure the chains could have replaced all their furnishings in one go, but for a lot of indie places it would have been a fiscally insane proposition, even given that back in the day these stores were making a lot more money (racks also cost more then).
Granted, it's always more difficult for the mom and pop operation, but I suspect the record industry has rarely taken their concerns into account largely because they'd have less of a lobbying voice. The heard resistance almost certainly would have rested with the chain stores.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Do you know the reason why longboxes existed in the first place? Record stores didn't want to carry cd's because all their racks were for vinyl. They flat out told the record companies that they wouldn't sell cd's because of the cost to buying new racks. So the compromise was to create this huge hunk of cardboard so that you could still fit a cd in without it sinking all the way to the bottom. A combination of consumer protest and—omigod—cd's were making more money than vinyl (albeit deceptively so—most of it was people buying on cd what they'd already bought on vinyl) eventually sort-of led to acceptance (tho some stores still have longboxesque security boxes). The history of the record industry is a bunch of dumb assholes getting rich in spite of their best efforts not to (hell, even the record companies initially resisted cd's because they didn't want to confuse the public with multiple formats).
Id never even seen one of those until I bought a Permanent Record import from the US.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

I tore up hundreds of longboxes. They seemed like a disposable part of the packaging and not worth keeping.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah, I remember reading that.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

They weren't very good, were they? :shifty:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:They weren't very good, were they? :shifty:
I honestly find them pretty dull. Not bad, just not very special.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"