Mick Jones to perform Clash songs

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Mick Jones to perform Clash songs

Post by white man »

We got in around 13:00 and headed for a bar to meet up with an old scottish pal. It was a bar called georgics on George Square. Little realising that The Hearts casuals were in there along with Rangers and also the National Front we having a meet up in there as well. We were greeted at the door by a big burly copper who looked as though he was going to refuse us entry and demanding to know what badges we were wearing(strummerville) to which he replied "Joe Strummer from the Clash Aye, go right ahead boys" :cool: Even tipped us the wink when the cops over-ran the bar and looked like they were about to round everyone up. We were the only ones allowed to walk free from the bar.
Had a great time in most bars, The Horseshoe especially. Everyone so friendly. Ended up in Lauders bar at the end of Sauchiehall St then bed.. Straight home for the match. What a goal. In Newcastle all day tomorrow so it will be a Happy MoNday. :mrgreen:
Gig review to follow when i get some rest.
Recorded the lot but it needs some work
Also video'd Altogether Now(1st one) Some of Thatcher. All of Stay Free and SISOSIG

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:Had a bad start to our trip. I was elected navigator and we missed our intended motorway route. We ended up speeding through a maze of country roads in a blizzard, whilst irate farmers waved their fists at us. Our two and a half hour journey ended up taking four hours.

The gig was just great though. The Farm were decent, despite some decidedly shaky vocals from Hooton. Pete Wylie was really good, though he was saying his voice was ready to give up after the previous night's revelries in Liverpool. The Day Margaret Thatcher Dies was excellent, and Story of the Blues with Mick on the choruses was really poignant.

Onto the Clash numbers, and it was simply brilliant. The crowd were louder than the band at times, and it was just a mass singalong/outpouring of love. :mrgreen: My favourite song of the night was White Man, it seemed the whole venue was singing along, leaving Hooton with an easy job on vocals. When John Robb took the mic for Janie Jones and started crowd surfing, I saw my chance for a bit of vocal action. After navigating my way through the moshpit, I saw he was holding the mic out for people to sing. I think he saw I knew some words and handed me the mic. I started trying to sing, but it was hard as my rib cage was being crushed by loads of heavy men. I still have no idea if the mic was turned on, I'm hoping someone's gonna upload to YouTube.

By the way, all the Scots we met were great, what a friendly bunch of people. They even made me and my three mates sing the theme tune to "The Likely Lads" outside the venue after the gig to much mirth. A top, top night.
How quaint, 3 Geordies singing a Peter Doherty cockney knees up song :mrgreen:

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Aye, the match today just topped off a great weekend. :approve:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:Aye, the match today just topped off a great weekend. :approve:
...and the Norwich result.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
Oh yes. The wheels seem to have come off there.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Oh yes. The wheels seem to have come off there.
:mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wild scenes...

[youtube][/youtube]

I think that mic I had must have been switched off or disconnected!

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

The crew from Sunderland get a shout out from the latest Louder than War blog.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:The crew from Sunderland get a shout out from the latest Louder than War blog.

That might have been White Man's mob, I don't know. Recollections are a bit hazy.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Silent Majority wrote:The crew from Sunderland get a shout out from the latest Louder than War blog.
I asked Robbo to give us a shout. Seems like a great guy. Very passionate.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:Wild scenes...

[youtube][/youtube]

That's fantastic. I'm glad Mick is playing these songs they are just too good to be left on the self.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

desperado
Corner Soul

Post by desperado »

[youtube][/youtube]

if only glasgow was one tenth as wild as scala.

It was a great gig in glasgow, the sound in the abc is second to none just a pity the crowd felt as though it was a monday or tuesday evening.

I thought the farm were excellent althouggh throughout the gig you could tell that the majority of people were there just for clash songs, the atmosphere was stale until they were played.

Who was that tosser that came on near the end? glasvegas? couldnt sing for shit! just fortunate there were others around to support his voice and 5 guitars going with a wall of noise. My personal highlights were "groovy train", "alltogether now" from the farm and of course the clash numbers at the end. It was good being able to goto the bar and back to the middle of the crowd with plenty of space around and not spilling a drop each time. Was also good to get a chat with John Robb during the gig. what i would have done to be at the scala gig, that looked special, primal scream sounded great.

all in all was a great night and glad they had it in the abc, probably the best sounding venue in glasgow.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

[youtube][/youtube]

Bunch of louts! Utterly disgraceful should be ashamed of themselves, grown men acting like children.

Wish I'd've been there.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
tosh wrote:Mate just sent me a text from the Liverpool show - apparently guests tonight include The La's and Cast. I am not jealous at all and really look forward to receiving more drunken texts as the night goes on, all while I sit at my desk working, knowing there is about 0 chance of these shows coming over here so I can see them. Nope not jealous in the slightest
Not zero percent actually. East Coast is under some consideration, though there are obstacles like visas and financing, etc.
I'd probably travel to the East Coast to see Mick do Clash songs.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.