B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26917
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Heston » 06 Aug 2016, 8:24am

Silent Majority wrote:Beyond the Pale has one of BAD's best ever lyrics tied to a limp, inappropriate melody.
Whaaaaaaaat!

One of Jonesy's best tunes for me, just clunkily recorded.
Of course I use Zildjian, this is serious music.

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13173
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 06 Aug 2016, 8:33am

Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Beyond the Pale has one of BAD's best ever lyrics tied to a limp, inappropriate melody.
Whaaaaaaaat!

One of Jonesy's best tunes for me, just clunkily recorded.
Is there a Bradford 88 style blood 'n' guts live version?
So get back to work and sweat some more
The sun will sink and we'll get out the door
It's no good for man to work in cages
Hit the town, he drinks his wages


http://macgowansongs.blogspot.co.uk
www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13173
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 08 Aug 2016, 4:10pm

I've been playing a lot of the first two albums just lately and I'm reminding myself how fun a band BAD were. While I'm slagging 'em off, as above, I'm gonna say that I think I like the song Sony less on each listen.
So get back to work and sweat some more
The sun will sink and we'll get out the door
It's no good for man to work in cages
Hit the town, he drinks his wages


http://macgowansongs.blogspot.co.uk
www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26917
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Heston » 08 Aug 2016, 4:16pm

Silent Majority wrote:
Heston wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:Beyond the Pale has one of BAD's best ever lyrics tied to a limp, inappropriate melody.
Whaaaaaaaat!

One of Jonesy's best tunes for me, just clunkily recorded.
Is there a Bradford 88 style blood 'n' guts live version?
No, nothing that approaches Bradford. Damn, why didn't they record/release that whole gig!
Last edited by Heston on 08 Aug 2016, 6:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of course I use Zildjian, this is serious music.

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26917
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Heston » 08 Aug 2016, 4:18pm

Silent Majority wrote:I've been playing a lot of the first two albums just lately and I'm reminding myself how fun a band BAD were. While I'm slagging 'em off, as above, I'm gonna say that I think I like the song Sony less on each listen.
I love Mick's singing on Sony. Bordering on the hysterical.
Of course I use Zildjian, this is serious music.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 36371
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 08 Aug 2016, 8:45pm

Silent Majority wrote:I've been playing a lot of the first two albums just lately and I'm reminding myself how fun a band BAD were. While I'm slagging 'em off, as above, I'm gonna say that I think I like the song Sony less on each listen.
I think "Sony Dub" from the Legacy edition is awesome. Plus the Joe sample from London Calling is a nice touch.
Image
Image

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 26917
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Heston » 09 Aug 2016, 1:31am

Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:I've been playing a lot of the first two albums just lately and I'm reminding myself how fun a band BAD were. While I'm slagging 'em off, as above, I'm gonna say that I think I like the song Sony less on each listen.
I think "Sony Dub" from the Legacy edition is awesome. Plus the Joe sample from London Calling is a nice touch.
I've been saying for years that that's not Joe on there (yes, it does sound like him). Someone mentioned it on the BAD facebook page last week, so I took the chance to ask Greg Roberts if it was Strummer. He reckons not.

Edit: I've just rechecked the thread and Greg says it's Don screaming.
Of course I use Zildjian, this is serious music.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 36371
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 09 Aug 2016, 2:37am

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:I've been playing a lot of the first two albums just lately and I'm reminding myself how fun a band BAD were. While I'm slagging 'em off, as above, I'm gonna say that I think I like the song Sony less on each listen.
I think "Sony Dub" from the Legacy edition is awesome. Plus the Joe sample from London Calling is a nice touch.
I've been saying for years that that's not Joe on there (yes, it does sound like him). Someone mentioned it on the BAD facebook page last week, so I took the chance to ask Greg Roberts if it was Strummer. He reckons not.

Edit: I've just rechecked the thread and Greg says it's Don screaming.
D'ya know what? I knew that but had forgotten all about it. I do think it's Don also although he's imitating Joe, which fits in nicely with the theme of the song.

When I do my remix I'll put Joe in there just to complicate the game. ;)
Image
Image

oliver
Sightsee MC
Posts: 260
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 11:55am

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by oliver » 09 Aug 2016, 4:59pm

Heston wrote:Edit: I've just rechecked the thread and Greg says it's Don screaming.
Only the 30 years I've had that wrong then. A new record! I didn't think the 'not-realizing "A Party"-was-a-homophone-for-25-years' would ever be topped.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 36371
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 09 Aug 2016, 6:23pm

oliver wrote:
Heston wrote:Edit: I've just rechecked the thread and Greg says it's Don screaming.
Only the 30 years I've had that wrong then. A new record! I didn't think the 'not-realizing "A Party"-was-a-homophone-for-25-years' would ever be topped.
You can hold hands with Dr. Medulla for not getting the Stone Thames/Rock Hudson thing.
Image
Image

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13173
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 10 Aug 2016, 2:34am

Marky Dread wrote:
oliver wrote:
Heston wrote:Edit: I've just rechecked the thread and Greg says it's Don screaming.
Only the 30 years I've had that wrong then. A new record! I didn't think the 'not-realizing "A Party"-was-a-homophone-for-25-years' would ever be topped.
You can hold hands with Dr. Medulla for not getting the Stone Thames/Rock Hudson thing.
Mick loves that crossword puzzle stuff. Even the name of the second album.
So get back to work and sweat some more
The sun will sink and we'll get out the door
It's no good for man to work in cages
Hit the town, he drinks his wages


http://macgowansongs.blogspot.co.uk
www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 36371
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 10 Aug 2016, 4:46am

Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
oliver wrote:
Heston wrote:Edit: I've just rechecked the thread and Greg says it's Don screaming.
Only the 30 years I've had that wrong then. A new record! I didn't think the 'not-realizing "A Party"-was-a-homophone-for-25-years' would ever be topped.
You can hold hands with Dr. Medulla for not getting the Stone Thames/Rock Hudson thing.
Mick loves that crossword puzzle stuff. Even the name of the second album.
Well it was better than "The Alternative Funky Prime Minister".
Image
Image

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13173
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Silent Majority » 10 Aug 2016, 7:16am

Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
oliver wrote:
Heston wrote:Edit: I've just rechecked the thread and Greg says it's Don screaming.
Only the 30 years I've had that wrong then. A new record! I didn't think the 'not-realizing "A Party"-was-a-homophone-for-25-years' would ever be topped.
You can hold hands with Dr. Medulla for not getting the Stone Thames/Rock Hudson thing.
Mick loves that crossword puzzle stuff. Even the name of the second album.
Well it was better than "The Alternative Funky Prime Minister".
"What do you think of 'Margaret Dancer', Mick?"
"Have another go."
So get back to work and sweat some more
The sun will sink and we'll get out the door
It's no good for man to work in cages
Hit the town, he drinks his wages


http://macgowansongs.blogspot.co.uk
www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 36371
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by Marky Dread » 10 Aug 2016, 12:48pm

Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
oliver wrote:
Only the 30 years I've had that wrong then. A new record! I didn't think the 'not-realizing "A Party"-was-a-homophone-for-25-years' would ever be topped.
You can hold hands with Dr. Medulla for not getting the Stone Thames/Rock Hudson thing.
Mick loves that crossword puzzle stuff. Even the name of the second album.
Well it was better than "The Alternative Funky Prime Minister".
"What do you think of 'Margaret Dancer', Mick?"
"Have another go."
:mrgreen:
Image
Image

NoMoreHugh
Junco Partner
Posts: 363
Joined: 17 Dec 2012, 7:24pm
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by NoMoreHugh » 10 Aug 2016, 2:44pm

Marky Dread wrote:
oliver wrote:
Heston wrote:Edit: I've just rechecked the thread and Greg says it's Don screaming.
Only the 30 years I've had that wrong then. A new record! I didn't think the 'not-realizing "A Party"-was-a-homophone-for-25-years' would ever be topped.
You can hold hands with Dr. Medulla for not getting the Stone Thames/Rock Hudson thing.
I can Beat that - I knew instantly that it was about Rock Hudson by the name with out hearing the song but it took me god knows how long of constant listening before i even realised it was about Aids / sexual diseases !!!! embarrassing as its the most obvious of lyrics "whoosh straight over my head". I think you need to live near the Thames to think of it as a river so i can forgive the Doctor as the Hudson is more world famous.
:) Mick Jones don`t drop his pants used to make me smile

I knew the A Party because Don used to explain that one in many interviews at the time .

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest