B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by BitterTom »

Heston wrote:
21 May 2019, 6:22pm
BitterTom wrote:
21 May 2019, 1:22pm
Bold statement warning.

I gave up with Megatop and put Tighten Up on yet again while walking the dog, went the long way to catch it all. Yes the sound could be better, yes 2000 Shoes is on there but that aside, this is one great record. Fairly easily (for me) superior to Combat Rock and on a par, if not slightly better than S/T. Yes it's arbitrary comparing them but it's just how high I rate this album. Applecart, HNaT and All Saints Road are all beautiful, perfect melodies. The songs that surround these offer much as well, a near perfect album that has no right to be 'lost' and unheard to many music fans. It is so heavily underrated.

That's a good moment to stop waxing lyrical about Tighten Up but just wanted to show my love for this album a final time.
I'm with you mate. I think it has some of Mick's best pure pop songwriting of his career. His singing was also at its peak imo, especially if you check the live stuff from that era. Then there's his guitar playing which I think is super-inventive on this album, just a shame a lot of it is low in the mix. Those multi-layered backwards guitars on Other 99 totally kick arse, and there are many other great moments such as the song Tighten Up, awesome guitar on that one. The songs are also arranged brilliantly with all the hooks in the right places, middle eights, inventive intros and outros etc.

The drums are the fly in the ointment for me, they are so dry and loud. They sound like the "children's songs" drum setting on a Bontempi keyboard. All Saints Road is the worst offender drum-wise, just horrible. And they had such a great drummer too. I fucking hate the production methods of the late 80s. What makes it worse is the drum sound is pretty good on Megatop but the songs aren't in the same class.
This is the main difference for me with the 2 albums. You can really feel the creativity oozing out of Tighten Up, some aforementioned songs are works of genius in my eyes. About half of Megatop feels like they were just churning them out, very later Clash b side like. Not offensively bad though not much to write home about either. Mick's illness must have really taken it out of him, you can definitely hear it in the songs and him personally.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Heston wrote:
21 May 2019, 12:02pm
Wolter wrote:
21 May 2019, 11:57am
Sambadrome is literally playing right now and I still am barely able to pay attention. What a dull song.
This is why I keep saying Tighten Up is better than Upping St. I find it hard to believe the latter is anyone's favourite BAD album. It's as if the presence of Strummer sways people.
Upping st i dont think is anywhere as good as tighten up but i do like it. I think it was flawed with some bad decisions when it first came out. I think you really nailed this with the description of Beyond the pale being clunky i would say its a good description for the whole album it just doesnt flow like the other albums do. Although i do feel it has that very great "Bad" vibe and sound that the band were after but imho it could have been so much better if produced differently

Of course the presence of strummer will sway people and i believe the record company knows this all too well. Its more played up now with strummers involvement than it ever was back when the album came out. I heard in interviews at the time that strummer popped in to the studio to help out on a couple of songs which suggests to me that the songs were already written. Beyond the Pale is a good example with earlier live recordings show that the tune was not touched at all and a little tweak done to the lyrics.
Interviews also stated at the time that strummer only worked on a couple of songs but the album came out with strummer name all over it.

I doubt that Strummer made any musical changes and was involved in some lyrical suggestions only. Nothing can change my view of this :mrgreen: there is no tune on the album that i get a feel of strummer but lyrics maybe . The record companys know how to make smart moves to increase revenue.
Unfortunately though ......

why would you make beatbox the first single it should have been V thirteen
why put a inferior version mix of V thirteen on the original album
too much going on in the jerky drums and pops and whistles etc needed a better production as they did when played these songs live

Tighten up well its just an amazing album and has a lot of hidden gems on it i would give it an - other 100/100

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
23 May 2019, 6:33am
Heston wrote:
21 May 2019, 12:02pm
Wolter wrote:
21 May 2019, 11:57am
Sambadrome is literally playing right now and I still am barely able to pay attention. What a dull song.
This is why I keep saying Tighten Up is better than Upping St. I find it hard to believe the latter is anyone's favourite BAD album. It's as if the presence of Strummer sways people.
Upping st i dont think is anywhere as good as tighten up but i do like it. I think it was flawed with some bad decisions when it first came out. I think you really nailed this with the description of Beyond the pale being clunky i would say its a good description for the whole album it just doesnt flow like the other albums do. Although i do feel it has that very great "Bad" vibe and sound that the band were after but imho it could have been so much better if produced differently

Of course the presence of strummer will sway people and i believe the record company knows this all too well. Its more played up now with strummers involvement than it ever was back when the album came out. I heard in interviews at the time that strummer popped in to the studio to help out on a couple of songs which suggests to me that the songs were already written. Beyond the Pale is a good example with earlier live recordings show that the tune was not touched at all and a little tweak done to the lyrics.
Interviews also stated at the time that strummer only worked on a couple of songs but the album came out with strummer name all over it.

I doubt that Strummer made any musical changes and was involved in some lyrical suggestions only. Nothing can change my view of this :mrgreen: there is no tune on the album that i get a feel of strummer but lyrics maybe . The record companys know how to make smart moves to increase revenue.
Unfortunately though ......

why would you make beatbox the first single it should have been V thirteen
why put a inferior version mix of V thirteen on the original album
too much going on in the jerky drums and pops and whistles etc needed a better production as they did when played these songs live

Tighten up well its just an amazing album and has a lot of hidden gems on it i would give it an - other 100/100
Oh apart from 2000 shoes that song just never worked for me so i change my rating to an other 99/100

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Could one of the BAD geniuses compile a definitive list of original line up b-sides? I don't trust wiki on the matter.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 May 2019, 7:11am
Could one of the BAD geniuses compile a definitive list of original line up b-sides? I don't trust wiki on the matter.
Going with just UK releases as 7'' singles plus ''Sightsee M.C.!'' which I believe was 12'' only and not including various odditties / promos etc the list should be this I think.

01. The Bottom Line / BAD
02. E = MC² / This Is Big Audio Dynamite
03. Medicine Show / A Party
04. C'mon Every Beatbox (Edit) / Badrock City
05. V. Thirteen / Hollywood Boulevard (Sam Sever Remix)
06. Sightsee M.C.! (Mick Jones Radio Cut) / Another One Rides The Bus (Paul "Groucho" Smykle mix)
Sightsee M.C.! (Sam Sever mix) / Sightsee West London (Mick Jones mix) - 12'' only
07. Just Play Music! / Much Worse
08. Other 99 / What Happened to Eddie?
09. Contact (7" Mix) / In Full Effect

The last track by the original band ''Free'' was only a promo I believe. Shame as it's one of my fave BAD tracks.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2019, 7:31am
Silent Majority wrote:
Going with just UK releases as 7'' singles plus ''Sightsee M.C.!'' which I believe was 12'' only and not including various odditties / promos etc the list should be this I think.

06. Sightsee M.C.! (Mick Jones Radio Cut) / Another One Rides The Bus (Paul "Groucho" Smykle mix)
Sightsee M.C.! (Sam Sever mix) / Sightsee West London (Mick Jones mix) - 12'' only

The last track by the original band ''Free'' was only a promo I believe. Shame as it's one of my fave BAD tracks.
Thanks Mark, much appreciated.

What do people think in terms of the polls? Do they want remixes on there? I would just do original songs, personally.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
It might be just another rename like Change of Atmosphere but i thought it was called Kickin In ?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
23 May 2019, 7:56am
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

What do people think in terms of the polls? Do they want remixes on there? I would just do original songs, personally.
Could get a bit messy with remixes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
23 May 2019, 7:59am
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
It might be just another rename like Change of Atmosphere but i thought it was called Kickin In ?
Umm not sure what you mean here mate. ''Free'' was the last song released by the original line-up I believe. It appeared on the soundtrack of the movie ''Flashback''.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Just checked my great lost album and they call it "Free" on there so it must be the name change

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Much Worse and What Happened To Eddie are the only two b-sides which are actual songs not remixes. You also might want to add Electric Vandal?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
23 May 2019, 8:31am
Silent Majority wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

Much Worse and What Happened To Eddie are the only two b-sides which are actual songs not remixes. You also might want to add Electric Vandal?
Wasn't ''Electric Vandal'' only released on the Legacy Edition of TIBAD?

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
23 May 2019, 8:27am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Just checked my great lost album and they call it "Free" on there so it must be the name change
BAD II released it as ''Kickin' In'' on ''Kool Aid''. But ''Free'' was the last track by the original line-up that this thread/poll is dealing with.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2019, 8:23am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Umm not sure what you mean here mate. ''Free'' was the last song released by the original line-up I believe. It appeared on the soundtrack of the movie ''Flashback''.

It must be the promo i havent got or seen, on the kool aid album it was called Kickin In i have checked my Great lost album and the 12inch version is called Free
Has anyone got the Promo version to upload to check how different that version is ?

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
23 May 2019, 8:40am
Marky Dread wrote:
23 May 2019, 8:23am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:

It must be the promo i havent got or seen, on the kool aid album it was called Kickin In i have checked my Great lost album and the 12inch version is called Free
Has anyone got the Promo version to upload to check how different that version is ?
Thanks Marky it does sound the same version that i already have much appreciated