B.A.D. Observations Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Re: B.A.D. Observations Thread

Post by NoMoreHugh »

River wrote:
Heston wrote:
River wrote:
Heston wrote:
River wrote:This would probably never work, but has anyone tried to get in contact with the BBC about a full St. Georges gig? Thats easily my holy grail of BAD.
Oh yeah, great recording and Mick in the best voice I ever heard him. It's a shame they didn't make their records in this fashion.

Unfortunately, I doubt the whole gig exists, and if it does, that we will ever hear it.
Its a shame too. I still need the Edinburgh gig but the Bradford, Milton Keynes, and Dublin from 1988 all have some great performances. Easily my favorite BAD era. I absolutely love the samples in between the songs. It really ties the whole gig together for me.
I saw BAD a few times between 86 and 89 and they always so powerful live, it just doesn't seem to come across in all the bootlegs I hear. Bradford is the exception due to the qualiry of the recording.
I think its like that with every band. Bootlegs very rarely match the quality of a live show. I saw BAD twice with the reunion tour and it was incredible but I can't imagine seeing them in their heyday in the 80s.
I believe you as i find that with bootlegs too. In fact what i saw of the reunion tour completely put me off seeing them again as they looked a shadow of their former self. I have seen them at their best countless times on every tour up to Kool Aid/ The Globe and in my opinion they are the best live band that i have ever seen and what Heston mentions about so much more powerful than the bootlegs show i always thought that, but also so much more powerful than the studio version album represents too.
I did love that they did the reunion and hope that one day they might do it again but i doubt it. But i if they do i will watch from a far and will certainly buy any new music that they may feel like releasing..

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Has anyone still got the 2011 performance on the Jimmy Fallon show? I seem to remember E=MC2 being particularly great.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Heston wrote:Has anyone still got the 2011 performance on the Jimmy Fallon show? I seem to remember E=MC2 being particularly great.
Oh yeah, I remember that. They had Jimmy sing with them. I'd love to see that one again.

Edit. I was able to find Rob Peter

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

River wrote:Oh yeah, I remember that. They had Jimmy sing with them. I'd love to see that one again.
He did that thing when you're a millisecond behind because you don't quite know the words
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Heston wrote:Has anyone still got the 2011 performance on the Jimmy Fallon show? I seem to remember E=MC2 being particularly great.
Got it somewhere, and yes it was great. Little davvo went he's ends. I'll dig it out.

Heston

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:
Got it somewhere, and yes it was great. Little davvo went he's ends. I'll dig it out.
Cheers mate.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Heston wrote:
white man wrote:
Cheers mate.
Found it. Will upload somewhere later.

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Some pictures of BAD from 92, 94, and 97. The regression of his hair is an interesting note on these. He looks more like the "modern Mick" in the 97 pics.

http://mediapunch.photoshelter.com/sear ... ACT=search

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

white man wrote:
Christ that was really good. That was probably their best E=MC2 from the 2011 tour.

Heston

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:
Fantastic! Cheers for digging it out mate

sonnyburnit
Junco Partner

Post by sonnyburnit »

It's a fantastic performance. I saw them later that big in Brooklyn & they didn't look or sound like a band that had nothing significant left to offer but that ship has sailed. Seeing Mick in the bunker recording w/ Dreadzone is always a tease though.

One silly b.a.d daydream I had was that they went in & re-recorded Tighten Up live in the studio w/ real drums & Davo's added guitar to beef it up...and added Rob Peter to the set.

Another one was that instead of recording a new album from scratch, they recorded the tracks Mick had been working on w/ Joe during the Global sessions.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

sonnyburnit wrote:It's a fantastic performance. I saw them later that big in Brooklyn & they didn't look or sound like a band that had nothing significant left to offer but that ship has sailed. Seeing Mick in the bunker recording w/ Dreadzone is always a tease though.

One silly b.a.d daydream I had was that they went in & re-recorded Tighten Up live in the studio w/ real drums & Davo's added guitar to beef it up...and added Rob Peter to the set.

Another one was that instead of recording a new album from scratch, they recorded the tracks Mick had been working on w/ Joe during the Global sessions.
Those are cool daydreams.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Its good to see those two clips again and i definately agree its a great performance and sound. They look great as well.

I do wonder what happened that made Mick not to believe it could happen anymore. I remember a blog from Greg Roberts replying to a question on whats happening with BAD. Greg's reply was we are all waiting for MIck and once he wants to the band is all ready to go.

I still think they are only a shadow of their former selves but even that is better than anything else around today.

Strange when their was a possible new single, talk of remasters of old albums, rumour of a new album and the tour was succesful but then to just fizzle out to nothing. I think its odd

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

NoMoreHugh wrote:Its good to see those two clips again and i definately agree its a great performance and sound. They look great as well.

I do wonder what happened that made Mick not to believe it could happen anymore. I remember a blog from Greg Roberts replying to a question on whats happening with BAD. Greg's reply was we are all waiting for MIck and once he wants to the band is all ready to go.

I still think they are only a shadow of their former selves but even that is better than anything else around today.

Strange when their was a possible new single, talk of remasters of old albums, rumour of a new album and the tour was succesful but then to just fizzle out to nothing. I think its odd
I wonder if some other stuff got in the way for Mick. Cause shortly after the BAD tour, Mick started the Justice Tonight tour. Then he started producing albums. But it definitely could've been the other way with Mick having some reluctance.