Page 37 of 40

Re: TRAC Demo's

Posted: 22 Mar 2015, 8:24am
by Marky Dread
coffeepotman wrote:When I first moved to NY in 1988 I was a "bootlegger" or "tape trader", more like a bootlegger but really neither. I would go to shows and record them with a pretty high quality (for those days) Sony tape recorder and then sell the tapes on St. Marks Place, usually within a couple of days. I had a partner who had a business doing that. St Marks Place back then was full of book sellers and junk sellers and boutiques and record stores. Not the Yuppieville it is now. I was in a stand right next to Trash and Vaudeville. If any band came by, which there were many, and objected most were cool and we just stopped selling their tapes. I got to meet a lot of my rock star heroes back then by doing this. Now what happened to my tapes after they were sold I had no control of and I know that my recording to Sonic Youth at Central Park was made into a CD and sold for usually 20-25$ at record stores. One of my recordings of Johnny Thunders was also made into a CD and sold elsewhere. Does that make me evil or just spreading the love and making some chump change.
Well you were a bootlegger who sold tapes. A tape trader is someone who trades tapes for another tape.

Evil, I don't know about that. With respects if you were only in it for as you say "spreading the love" then you would've been swapping tapes with friends or giving them away freely. But you were selling them for a profit however big however small. Your tape may well have been re-used to make a CD boot but what's the difference other than price, none as far as I can see. Now you were not forcing anyone to buy your tapes and I expect you like many other tape sellers had a tape deck so people could listen to what they were buying before parting with their money.

I bought many so called "bootleg tapes" back in the day and the first thing I did was to pirate that and give my friends copies so they didn't have to pay for it. This of course is where the 2nd/3rd generation tapes come from. With the advent of CD and a decent original source then CD copies are nowhere near as bad as tapes were for killing the sound quality. But when someone takes poor quality Mp3's and tries to pass them off as "great sounding" then this is evil. My main argument would be that you were filling a gap in the market and there is always a market for this stuff. How much you cared about what you were selling and to what quality control you would have only you would know.

My main problem with Chuck looking on eBay for a copy of the T.R.A.C. files is that they are already here in a listenable quality and with artwork that I took some time and care with. You're already getting these files for free and as this is a forum for the musician who made this music we should at least show him some respect. Especially as he has been extremely generous when it comes to sharing his music. I don't want to see some wanker putting out a CDr of these files with artwork I made to be shared with this community freely just so he can make a couple of £££ or $$$ on eBay.

Re: TRAC Demo's

Posted: 23 Mar 2015, 10:29pm
by coffeepotman
I agree, but back then there was no internet and this was even before the proliferation of bootleg CD's, to buy a bootleg CD from a record store would have cost you 20-25$ per disc, double disc set=50$ so my tapes were cheap at 8$ a piece. Didn't do it for too long but it was a cool way for a kid who just moved to NYC to meet people and hang out on St. Marks Place. Didn't really make that much money. Now I've grown to hate the record stores that charged me a fortune for a cheap quality boot CD's and am free and open about sharing my music collection. I haven't ever even looked at ebay for music but I know a lot of people do. Maybe they are unable to put the time in and search the interwebs to download, maybe they aren't computer savvy, I don't know.

Re: TRAC Demo's

Posted: 23 Mar 2015, 11:38pm
by Wolter
Between paying like 25-50 bucks for a shitty, mislabeled rip on the world's cheapest CD blanks, and essentially the same price as an album for a "maxi-single" that was basically the song you already had on the album and 4-8 remixes running the gamut from "interesting-but-inessential" to "unrecognizable garbage," the 90s were chock full of terrible ways to spend money on music.

Re: TRAC Demo's

Posted: 24 Mar 2015, 1:57am
by Marky Dread
.

Re: TRAC Demo's

Posted: 24 Mar 2015, 10:37am
by Low Down Low
If we could only get people to stop getting music for free they should be paying for and others to stop paying for music they should be getting for free, the industry would be in a much better place.

Re: TRAC Demo's

Posted: 24 Mar 2015, 11:00am
by Chuck Mangione
Everything should be free.

Re: TRAC Demo's

Posted: 24 Mar 2015, 11:51am
by Marky Dread
.

Re: TRAC Demo's

Posted: 24 Mar 2015, 2:57pm
by laxman
Chuck Mangione wrote:Everything should be free.
Get James Burke on the case; everything will be free by 2043.

In an article for the Radio Times in 1973 Burke predicted the widespread use of computers for business decisions, the creation of metadata banks of personal information, and changes in human behaviour, such as greater willingness to reveal personal information to strangers. In an interview on the PM programme on BBC Radio 4 on 30 August 2013 Burke discussed his predictions of a post-scarcity economy driven by advances in nanofactories, which he believes may be viable by the year 2043.[8]

Re: TRAC Demo's

Posted: 24 Mar 2015, 3:28pm
by Marky Dread
.

Re: TRAC Demo's

Posted: 24 Mar 2015, 5:09pm
by laxman
I chose my words carefully! I think I had that and Being Boiled and the Gang of Four Anthrax EP and the Mekons on a Fast compilation album. Great stuff, must dig it out.

Edit; no it wasn't, it was Circus of Death on the compilation.

I heard that interview in 2013. He reckoned that we would no longer need to live in communities because we will have machines to make whatever we need. It was a very interesting prediction.

Re: TRAC Demo's

Posted: 24 Mar 2015, 6:26pm
by Marky Dread
.

Re: TRAC Demo's

Posted: 24 Mar 2015, 7:45pm
by Heston
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:I chose my words carefully! I think I had that and Being Boiled and the Gang of Four Anthrax EP and the Mekons on a Fast compilation album. Great stuff, must dig it out.

Edit; no it wasn't, it was Circus of Death on the compilation.

I heard that interview in 2013. He reckoned that we would no longer need to live in communities because we will have machines to make whatever we need. It was a very interesting prediction.
Yes every household will have it's very own Flex. :shifty:
Netflex?

Re: TRAC Demo's

Posted: 24 Mar 2015, 8:40pm
by Dr. Medulla
Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
laxman wrote:I chose my words carefully! I think I had that and Being Boiled and the Gang of Four Anthrax EP and the Mekons on a Fast compilation album. Great stuff, must dig it out.

Edit; no it wasn't, it was Circus of Death on the compilation.

I heard that interview in 2013. He reckoned that we would no longer need to live in communities because we will have machines to make whatever we need. It was a very interesting prediction.
Yes every household will have it's very own Flex. :shifty:
Netflex?
Ugh, give me some double plus good crab juice.

Re: TRAC Demo's

Posted: 25 Mar 2015, 7:59am
by Marky Dread
.

Re: TRAC Demo's

Posted: 25 Mar 2015, 10:16am
by Flex
This is how it begins.