TRAC Demo's

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Re: TRAC Demo's

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Was he hanging on the tape's concealment for plans of a Deluxe early B.A.D. album edition, maybe having some of the TRAC songs added as bonus material (because clearly you can't just have a "Top Risk Action Company - the album" release as they aren't that known), or just didn't want it released in general, out of embarrassment/dissatisfaction as he described? If the latter is the case, I think Mick kinda owes it to the fans to give up some more unreleased treasures, professionally released or not. There's no reason to feel bad about these tracks. Ringmaster is great, Euroshima, The Bottom Line, Ducane Rd. All great.
Last edited by Chuck Mangione on 03 Jun 2013, 7:36pm, edited 1 time in total.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Chuck Mangione wrote:Was he hanging on the tape's concealment in hopes of a Deluxe early B.A.D. album edition, maybe having some of the TRAC songs added as bonus material, or just didn't want it released in general? If the latter is the case, I think Mick kinda owes it to the fans to give up some more unreleased treasures, professionally released or not.
The This is BAD Special Edition came out a year or two ago. That would have been as good a time as any. I'm guessing some of it he didn't feel was good enough quality to release to the general public.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

matedog wrote:I'm guessing some of it he didn't feel was good enough quality to release to the general public.
I figured that's it too.

If that's the reason he won't release any London SS material, no matter the quality, and if the songs are this great, we have to get a hold of a London SS demos tape somehow and get it leaked without his approval.*

*If that's how the TRAC songs got into circulation (passing it down to a friend who gave it to a friend, etc.) then he must feel pretty bad/betrayed.

matedog

Post by matedog »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
matedog wrote:I'm guessing some of it he didn't feel was good enough quality to release to the general public.
I figured that's it too.

If that's the reason he won't release any London SS material, no matter the quality, and if the songs are this great, we have to get a hold of a London SS demos tape somehow and get it leaked without his approval.*

*If that's how the TRAC songs got into circulation (passing it down to a friend who gave it to a friend, etc.) then he must feel pretty bad/betrayed.
The majority of the TRAC tunes got into circulation because Leo had given someone a copy of the tape. I had received a few extra tracks from someone not directly associated with Mick who gave me the okay to release that small batch.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

matedog wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
I figured that's it too.

The majority of the TRAC tunes got into circulation because Leo had given someone a copy of the tape. I had received a few extra tracks from someone not directly associated with Mick who gave me the okay to release that small batch.
That someone should have gotten the okay from Mick first to let you release the few tracks (so there's more?!), in my opinion. But seeing as Jones would have most likely said nooo... Oh well. It already happened.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 26 Jun 2018, 4:22am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
matedog wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:
I figured that's it too.

That someone should have gotten the okay from Mick first to let you release the few tracks (so there's more?!), in my opinion. But seeing as Jones would have most likely said nooo... Oh well. It already happened.
Think Matedog only had a few of what we currently have. Then Oliver passed on his tape to be made int WAV's then I came along and ruined everything. ;)

Mick has every right to feel how he wants about his music. Of course as the greedy little cheese eating fans we are we want to hear everything. Mick has a great understanding of this concept and has been brilliant in sharing and promoting this philosophy with Carbon/Silicon etc. I still feel we should've run this passed Teddy B first to get some feedback from Mick as we had / have no idea what Mick's plans were for any of this material. I got very lucky in levelling out the tape Oliver had to make it sound listenable but Mick most likely has much better quality copies so we may have scuppered any release of these tracks by being premature.

As we have a way to Mick via Teddy I just feel we should check in future and respect Mick's wishes.
No matter how nice we are I don't think Mick will ever release the London SS tape :mrgreen:

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Agree. I haven't got or heard the London SS tape. Mick says "Tony's got it." I suspect he's got it too. Our close friend who gave me the TRAC tapes (and they do sound better, sorry) hasn't ever heard the London SS stuff either.

clashrocker
Sightsee MC

Post by clashrocker »

Who cares if Mick didn't like to see the TRAC demos getting out. No performer likes to see their work bootlegged, but it's a necessary evil since a lot of the times the performers have a hard time differentiating the wheat from the chaff anyway. Springsteen said he hated the work that he didn't release at one time and now a good portion of it has seen the light of day and he performs many of the songs now that he didn't consider up to snuff. Bob Dylan hates the Basement Tapes and now they sit on a shelf titled Americana. Neil Young went back and dug up every burp and fart that he could muster up and boxed it up in a tree trunk and stuck a sticker price on it. The Beatles took Lennon's unfinished works and sang over top of them and then released every mix of every song that they ever breathed on. The Stones made a new/old Exile, and the list goes on and on, and I'm sure that Mick has many backdoor recordings of performers whose balls he was once sweating so he should just lighten up and give us the goods since he owes it to us for bankrolling his lifestyle for nearly thirty years.

matedog

Post by matedog »

clashrocker wrote:I'm sure that Mick has many backdoor recordings of performers whose balls he was once sweating so he should just lighten up and give us the goods since he owes it to us for bankrolling his lifestyle for nearly thirty years.
I'm tickled pink whenever you chime in CR.

clashrocker
Sightsee MC

Post by clashrocker »

Put his feet to the fire, TeddyB, and tell him to get off of those TRAC demos!!!

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I don't really disagree. I wasn't unhappy myself to see the TRAC stuff leak, though the shape of the tape was a bit shocking. It's just as his friend, it's not my call to leak anything unless Mick wants it. I remember one time that the early version of The Homecoming leaked and at the time only me and Gerry Harrington had copies (and it wasn't me who did it). Mick was quick to point this out. He wasn't bothered really, just it was obvious it had to be one of us.

And since when did the "Clashrocker" persona become this articulate and self-knowing? Hm...
Last edited by TeddyB Not Logged In on 07 Jun 2013, 12:22am, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 26 Jun 2018, 4:26am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

clashrocker
Sightsee MC

Post by clashrocker »

Oh I agree that everybody wants something for nothing and everyone on the internet is a thief but I've never stolen anything and I was around in the days when I was paying $25 per vinyl side and most of the time I was listening to tenth generation audience tapes or low-low-low fidelity studio outtakes. But it's been thirty years now almost since TRAC was an ongoing concern and so I wonder who the artists think that they're serving when they sit on stuff forever. Quality control I'm all for but when you consider the amount of dodgy releases sanctioned by the record company that see the light of day, I think that the performers owe it to the fans to go back to the well and reconsider their previous work. In our lifetime, when the most fans are still around to appreciate it, than far away in the future when customers might be accessing their music through an antennae built into a microchip inplanted into their keisters. Get off the pot already!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Last edited by Marky Dread on 26 Jun 2018, 4:26am, edited 1 time in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia