Carbon/Silicon : Come One Come All

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Carbon/Silicon : Come One Come All

Post by Marky Dread »

NoMoreHugh wrote: ↑
21 Sep 2023, 8:23am
Thats just a brilliant upgrade . I never download remixes usually but i always now download your's Marky as they are too good to miss out on and you haven't disappointed again.

Great artwork and great songs this has rejuvenated my listening again to this band

Thank you so much
Happy Birthday btw its quite ironic the Birthday Gifts are coming from you, thanks again
Cheers NMH. πŸ‘

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

DocDoofus
Corner Soul

Post by DocDoofus »

This really is sounding great.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

DocDoofus wrote: ↑
22 Sep 2023, 2:26pm
This really is sounding great.
Good to know.πŸ‘

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Is it just me or does the chorus of "Maybe That's the Meaning of Life" sound exactly like the chorus of the theme to "Toast of London"? I'd be very happy if Matt Berry was a MJ fan and borrowed/liberated it.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

esmark
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by esmark »

Thanks a lot Marky. Brilliant stuff as usual!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

esmark wrote: ↑
22 Sep 2023, 4:36pm
Thanks a lot Marky. Brilliant stuff as usual!
Hey ee a pleasure as always!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Thanks so much for this Marky. You know, listening to this, it's funny: this is sort of a different project from some of your other sets, and it invites different pleasures. The sets you've been releasing are absolutely essential, authoritative representations of material we all tend to know quite well. There's a lot of fun to be had in appreciating the nuances in a different presentation of familiar tracks, the completed collection of rarities and reworking and so forth, but it all plays on the idea that this is material we're already (quite) familiar with, and we're getting it in the best possible presentation.

Now, there are a few serious C/S-philes here, but mostly this is a band that I'm familiar with through my own memories. The excitement of new Mick material, the unique nature of it being released, for free, online (wow! online-only releases!!! What an idea! :mrgreen: ) and the sheer enjoyment of hearing a man have such a good time making new music. But, I have to admit, other than a tune or two most C/S music lives as a sort of amorphous feeling in the back of my mind rather than a collection of tunes I can recall instantly.

So that's where a lot of the pleasure is here. Rather than going back into the archives and realizing, oh, actually there's a weak tune or two or, yeah, that criticism about the song lengths is valid what we get is a crisp collection of the cream of the crop, presented with the excitement and energy that may be as much memory as reality.

If I can compare it to another source of entertainment, it's kinda like if when people were finding lost doctor who episodes they decided to go ahead and edit out all the boring shit and just keep what everyone remembers as being so great. It flatters our memories, rather than presents a (potentially) less savory truth. And you know what? In this instance, I'm much happier with the revision.

Thanks Marky for finally making C/S as good as my own mind made it.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Looking forward to this, cheers Marky!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote: ↑
22 Sep 2023, 5:52pm
Thanks so much for this Marky. You know, listening to this, it's funny: this is sort of a different project from some of your other sets, and it invites different pleasures. The sets you've been releasing are absolutely essential, authoritative representations of material we all tend to know quite well. There's a lot of fun to be had in appreciating the nuances in a different presentation of familiar tracks, the completed collection of rarities and reworking and so forth, but it all plays on the idea that this is material we're already (quite) familiar with, and we're getting it in the best possible presentation.

Now, there are a few serious C/S-philes here, but mostly this is a band that I'm familiar with through my own memories. The excitement of new Mick material, the unique nature of it being released, for free, online (wow! online-only releases!!! What an idea! :mrgreen: ) and the sheer enjoyment of hearing a man have such a good time making new music. But, I have to admit, other than a tune or two most C/S music lives as a sort of amorphous feeling in the back of my mind rather than a collection of tunes I can recall instantly.

So that's where a lot of the pleasure is here. Rather than going back into the archives and realizing, oh, actually there's a weak tune or two or, yeah, that criticism about the song lengths is valid what we get is a crisp collection of the cream of the crop, presented with the excitement and energy that may be as much memory as reality.

If I can compare it to another source of entertainment, it's kinda like if when people were finding lost doctor who episodes they decided to go ahead and edit out all the boring shit and just keep what everyone remembers as being so great. It flatters our memories, rather than presents a (potentially) less savory truth. And you know what? In this instance, I'm much happier with the revision.

Big box set just over the horizon. Re-evaluating this stuff I'm finding many gems I had forgotten and stuff I simply never had.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote: ↑
23 Sep 2023, 6:46am
Looking forward to this, cheers Marky!
Have fun!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

Thanks very much for this Marky! Having a blast listening to this.

While I've never had an issue with the song lengths, it is super fun to listen to these songs in this form/length, often with new endings and intros (Psychotic Fish), along with a lot of the different touches in the mixing (The News is one that sticks out for me as really popping), not to mention hearing certain songs for the first time (Super Paradise Beach) or with vastly improved sound quality (The Inconvenience of Truth, Up All Nite) over existing versions. Anyways, it is a real gift and genuinely appreciated.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

drowninghere wrote: ↑
23 Sep 2023, 2:27pm
Thanks very much for this Marky! Having a blast listening to this.

While I've never had an issue with the song lengths, it is super fun to listen to these songs in this form/length, often with new endings and intros (Psychotic Fish), along with a lot of the different touches in the mixing (The News is one that sticks out for me as really popping), not to mention hearing certain songs for the first time (Super Paradise Beach) or with vastly improved sound quality (The Inconvenience of Truth, Up All Nite) over existing versions. Anyways, it is a real gift and genuinely appreciated.
Cheers mate. Nice to hear people getting some joy out of these tracks and appreciating the band a little more.😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

Wow, this is a great point of view. Nicely done Flex

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Telecaster wrote: ↑
23 Sep 2023, 4:18pm

Wow, this is a great point of view. Nicely done Flex
The edits may have made some of the tracks perhaps more palatable.

However I'm going through everything they did that's available and finding that they had a wealth of great tracks. I'm also thinking the nature of how they gave them away so frequently and of course for free made them somewhat less appreciated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

appleseed1
Sightsee MC

Post by appleseed1 »

Thanks again, Marky! I've been meaning to do a C/S deep dive for a while, so this is a great opportunity to kick that off.