Tighten Up Vol. 88 remixed again.

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Tighten Up Vol. 88 remixed again.

Post by Silent Majority »

img_1_1695390733170.jpg
Old picture of Brixton, making sense of a line in Tighten Up Vol 88.

Here's the Windmill
https://www.brixtonwindmill.org/about/h ... ing%20life

City of Spades, for those unaware, was a novel by Colin MacInnes, best known for his mod books (favs of Pete Townshend and Paul Weller) one, Absolute Beginners, of which was adapted by Julie Temple. Bowie contributed the theme song.

Here's the Effra River, entirely under Brixton
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Effra
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote: ↑
22 Sep 2023, 10:53am
img_1_1695390733170.jpg

Here's the Windmill

City of Spades, for those unaware, was a novel by Colin MacInnes, best known for his mod books (favs of Pete Townshend and Paul Weller) one, Absolute Beginners, of which was adapted by Julie Temple. Bowie contributed the theme song.

This is how I learn anything really. I've learned more from rock n roll than I ever did from school. Though this one isn't new to me it's always great when I hear people discovering stuff through great lyrics. 😎

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Marky Dread wrote: ↑
22 Sep 2023, 12:15pm
img_1_1695390733170.jpg

Here's the Windmill

This is how I learn anything really. I've learned more from rock n roll than I ever did from school. Though this one isn't new to me it's always great when I hear people discovering stuff through great lyrics. 😎
I guess you could say, Mark, that you learnt more from a three minute record than you ever learnt at school.

BAD aren't usually a band in need of much annotating, so that's another reason to love this track and its South London specificity. The Bon Marche was the only thing new to me (NWA would be photographed under that bridge on their only visit to England) but wanted to share background for the rest of those lines. Bazarboy75's video for his and Heaton's top cover shares some of the feeling of the tracks history.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

22 Sep 2023, 12:26pm
img_1_1695390733170.jpg

Here's the Windmill

I guess you could say, Mark, that you learnt more from a three minute record than you ever learnt at school.

BAD aren't usually a band in need of much annotating, so that's another reason to love this track and its South London specificity. The Bon Marche was the only thing new to me (NWA would be photographed under that bridge on their only visit to England) but wanted to share background for the rest of those lines. Bazarboy75's video for his and Heaton's top cover shares some of the feeling of the tracks history.
I remember many years ago when Eddy Grant released his single "Electric Avenue" being totally fascinated by the fact their was a place called Electric Avenue in London. Then reading up about the history of it. Whereas school only taught me where to find the toilet and the rear of the bike shed.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

22 Sep 2023, 12:38pm
img_1_1695390733170.jpg

Here's the Windmill

I remember many years ago when Eddy Grant released his single "Electric Avenue" being totally fascinated by the fact their was a place called Electric Avenue in London. Then reading up about the history of it. Whereas school only taught me where to find the toilet and the rear of the bike shed.
The history of Electric Avenue should have a book to itself if there isn't already one. That's what makes people interesting, is how much kd their passion for learning is there after the teachers have done their best to beat that curiousity out of them. And, based on my mates in higher education, a lot of academics aren't included in that.

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

22 Sep 2023, 12:40pm
22 Sep 2023, 12:38pm
img_1_1695390733170.jpg

Here's the Windmill

The history of Electric Avenue should have a book to itself if there isn't already one. That's what makes people interesting, is how much kd their passion for learning is there after the teachers have done their best to beat that curiousity out of them. And, based on my mates in higher education, a lot of academics aren't included in that.
When I hear of Doc talking about how he schools his students then I'm jealous of the fact. Because the teachers I had were stuck in a rut of backwards thinking and old stubborn bullshit values which I didn't agree with. Their attitude was always how dare you question how great these old writers like Shakespeare are blah blah blah... and I'm like yeah whatever fuck off with your boring old crap. I'd be wanting to read Orwell or JG Ballard but no I have to read fucking Shakespeare and I'm like hey "fucking shake this" ...off to the deputy head master for the cane yet again. Oh the joys of being schooled by the rod!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Talking of school made me remember this nugget. I had a Welsh teacher (Ivor Evans) for English lessons. He hated me with a vengeance and the feeling was mutual. Little nasty fucker always tried to put me down every chance he got. I remember how he would throw pieces of chalk at us kids and the wooden blackboard eraser.
One afternoon I had offended him as usual and he stood there in the middle of the class room pointing at me saying "you will never amount to anything boy!" to which I replied "of course not what chance have I got with a two bob cunt of a teacher like you". This occurred just as the headmaster was walking by with some delegates from the local council. I thought Ivor Evans head was going to explode it was so red.
Anyway upshot was my backside took another beating from the deputy head.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia