Medicine Show Appreciation Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Medicine Show Appreciation Thread

Post by Silent Majority »

What a perfect song.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Medicine Show Appreciation Thread

Post by Heston »

Congrats Medicine Show, king of the BAD songs.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Plus the video gets most of the old gang together, plus even Lydon.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Well deserved win, a perfect song.

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

A classic.
Joining the Street Parade

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

So.... Medicine Show vs Rudie Can't Fail

I'd have to say MS is the winner.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

MS really is the best BAD song, as I keep thinking on it. A perfect expression of their musical stylings - it works both historically as capturing a cutting edge moment in music while actually being timeless (a tough proposition for much of BAD's other tunes) - and sonically evocative of grandeur, adventure and excitement. There's a feel of social insight without being didactic (usually a disqualifier for a tuneless dirge-lover such as myself) and a really great Mick vocal (so many of my fave BAD songs feature the latter).

Staggering to me that they hit such a grand slam right away.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 11:27am
MS really is the best BAD song, as I keep thinking on it. A perfect expression of their musical stylings - it works both historically as capturing a cutting edge moment in music while actually being timeless (a tough proposition for much of BAD's other tunes) - and sonically evocative of grandeur, adventure and excitement. There's a feel of social insight without being didactic (usually a disqualifier for a tuneless dirge-lover such as myself) and a really great Mick vocal (so many of my fave BAD songs feature the latter).

Staggering to me that they hit such a grand slam right away.
It’s up there with “Waiting Room” and “Radio Free Europe” as “good band knocks it out of the park with the first track.”
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Wolter wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 11:30am
It’s up there with “Waiting Room” and “Radio Free Europe” as “good band knocks it out of the park with the first track.”
What all three songs have in common - besides being cool as hell - is that there's a feeling that they're inventing something new, but already wholly formed. Obviously, real history is more complex but it's that feeling of almost revelation when you're hitting play on the track.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 11:33am
Wolter wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 11:30am
What all three songs have in common - besides being cool as hell - is that there's a feeling that they're inventing something new, but already wholly formed. Obviously, real history is more complex but it's that feeling of almost revelation when you're hitting play on the track.
Right. Each of those feels relevatory for the time and still feels timeless on relistening.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Heston

Post by Heston »

I'll never forget that feeling I had when I put the album on for the first time and heard it. I'd been aching for some Clash-related music since discovering them in 83 (great timing, it was actually round about the time they sacked Mick). So after two years I was frothing at the mouth. I bought CtC the day it came out, and yes, it was disappointing at first, but TIBAD just blew me away and still does. And every time I hear the Medicine Show intro I'm transported back to my bedroom at my parents' house, hearing it for the first time.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

ALF
Dirty Punk

Post by ALF »

Great memories for me too. At that time I didn't event know that MJ was sacked from Clash, I was really into Combat Rock, and when I first hear The Bottom Line on a french radio I thought it was a Clash song (I lived near the spanish-french border but my french was very poor). Then I bought an imported and very expensive dutch copy of TIBAD and it became my favorite record. And since then, Medicine Show my favorite song.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

ALF wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 1:42pm
Great memories for me too. At that time I didn't event know that MJ was sacked from Clash, I was really into Combat Rock, and when I first hear The Bottom Line on a french radio I thought it was a Clash song (I lived near the spanish-french border but my french was very poor). Then I bought an imported and very expensive dutch copy of TIBAD and it became my favorite record. And since then, Medicine Show my favorite song.
I wonder what people would have thought if TIBAD WAS the sound of the next Clash album.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 2:28pm
ALF wrote:
I wonder what people would have thought if TIBAD WAS the sound of the next Clash album.
Well it would have been better received than CtC, that's for sure.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 2:31pm
Kory wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 2:28pm
ALF wrote:
Well it would have been better received than CtC, that's for sure.
In some quarters, yes. But a Clash album that sounded like BAD would have pushed fans like CK right over the edge. CtC feigns something like rock; TIBAD leaves that way behind.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft