Medicine Show Appreciation Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Medicine Show Appreciation Thread

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 2:35pm
Heston wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 2:31pm
Kory wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 2:28pm
ALF wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 1:42pm
Great memories for me too. At that time I didn't event know that MJ was sacked from Clash, I was really into Combat Rock, and when I first hear The Bottom Line on a french radio I thought it was a Clash song (I lived near the spanish-french border but my french was very poor). Then I bought an imported and very expensive dutch copy of TIBAD and it became my favorite record. And since then, Medicine Show my favorite song.
I wonder what people would have thought if TIBAD WAS the sound of the next Clash album.
Well it would have been better received than CtC, that's for sure.
In some quarters, yes. But a Clash album that sounded like BAD would have pushed fans like CK right over the edge. CtC feigns something like rock; TIBAD leaves that way behind.
But hadn't Sandinsta left rock way behind? And most of CR?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 3:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
ALF wrote:
Great memories for me too. At that time I didn't event know that MJ was sacked from Clash, I was really into Combat Rock, and when I first hear The Bottom Line on a french radio I thought it was a Clash song (I lived near the spanish-french border but my french was very poor). Then I bought an imported and very expensive dutch copy of TIBAD and it became my favorite record. And since then, Medicine Show my favorite song.
I wonder what people would have thought if TIBAD WAS the sound of the next Clash album.
In some quarters, yes. But a Clash album that sounded like BAD would have pushed fans like CK right over the edge. CtC feigns something like rock; TIBAD leaves that way behind.
I think a Clash album that was a mix of TIBAD songs and some better-arranged, Mick-contributed CTC era songs would’ve actually been massive.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
ALF wrote:
BAD was a big step beyond that with all the sampling and percussion. I mean, we can see the evolution in Mick's interests from 1980 onwards, but to those fans who still thought of the Clash as fundamentally a punk band, TIBAD was practically disco. Hell, I'm not even sure I could see Joe singing those songs; it's all clearly Mick's work. It really is a different creature.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

I hear a natural progression from Sandinista, Rat Patrol to TIBAD and songs like Medicine Show.

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 3:49pm
I hear a natural progression from Sandinista, Rat Patrol to TIBAD and songs like Medicine Show.
I see the lineage. Electric Vandal sounds like an outtake from Rat Patrol. Inoculated City could easily have fitted on TIBAD. This Is Radio Clash isn't a million miles away from what BAD were doing early on.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 3:22pm
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

I think a Clash album that was a mix of TIBAD songs and some better-arranged, Mick-contributed CTC era songs would’ve actually been massive.
That's a big "what if?" One can only dream of the alternate timeline.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 3:25pm
to those fans who still thought of the Clash as fundamentally a punk band
Was there such a thing left after S! and CR?

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 4:22pm
101Walterton wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 3:49pm
I see the lineage. Electric Vandal sounds like an outtake from Rat Patrol. Inoculated City could easily have fitted on TIBAD. This Is Radio Clash isn't a million miles away from what BAD were doing early on.
I feel like there would’ve needed to be one more Clash album phasing out the more rock-tinged work before TIBAD wouldn’t feel like a fairly clean break. Bottom Line is the closest to sounding like 1982 Clash might have made it in 85, but most of the rest are more pure dance pop than even the dance-iest Clash songs made it.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Heston wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 4:23pm
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Oh yeah. That’s a purely hypothetical. I’m just saying in a world where the Clash stayed together, such a beast would’ve been amazing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 4:25pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 3:25pm
to those fans who still thought of the Clash as fundamentally a punk band
Was there such a thing left after S! and CR?
Well, CK and all his friends who he said were traumatized by each release after GEER.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston

Post by Heston »

Wolter wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 4:27pm
Heston wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 4:23pm
Wolter wrote:
Heston wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oh yeah. That’s a purely hypothetical. I’m just saying in a world where the Clash stayed together, such a beast would’ve been amazing.
Oh yeah, I totally agree.

It's hard to imagine Joe doing BAD stuff but let's not forget he made a decent fist of V13 and Sightsee MC on that 1988 tour. And he sang Inoculated City (Yeah, I know it's not a BAD song but...) pretty well in 81.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Fairly pleased it wasnt E=MC2 as an overall winner

I cant see how any one would disagree with Medicine shown i have loved that song ever since i saw its first ever showing on the Tube and have loved that song ever since.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

I often wonder why there is a upward spike of attendance in this forum for no apparent reason and then they dissappear

looks like 65 users at 12.30 pm came to cheer there favourite BAD song as a winner unless there was another reason ????
Attachments
Opera Snapshot_2019-06-11_123708_www.clashcity.com.png

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 7:30am
Really? I probably prefer Medicine Show but I don't think E=MC2 is too far behind.
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Heston

Post by Heston »

oliver wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 9:58am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 7:30am
Really? I probably prefer Medicine Show but I don't think E=MC2 is too far behind.
For sheer pop genius it's even better imo.