Medicine Show Appreciation Thread

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Medicine Show Appreciation Thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Heston wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 10:18am
oliver wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 9:58am
NoMoreHugh wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 7:30am
Fairly pleased it wasnt E=MC2 as an overall winner
Really? I probably prefer Medicine Show but I don't think E=MC2 is too far behind.
For sheer pop genius it's even better imo.
"E=MC^2" was my pick for TIBAD, but it's unambiguously personal preference over "Medicine Show." I can't make a sustained argument why one is better than the other.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 11:04am
Heston wrote:
oliver wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Really? I probably prefer Medicine Show but I don't think E=MC2 is too far behind.
"E=MC^2" was my pick for TIBAD, but it's unambiguously personal preference over "Medicine Show." I can't make a sustained argument why one is better than the other.
E=MC2 is a great song there is no doubt about that but i just feel if that song had won it would be totally boring and just too predictable and i would have hope that keen fans of the band would go for something different. As i said in an eallier post somewhere about the repetitve listening of a favourite song for many years and how your present day choice would hopefully change. Medicine show though just keeps on sounding better after so many years and has so much going on it that it just lasts the test of time.

E=MC2 is a non fan choice of a winner for BAD just like SISOSIG would likely be a non fan choice of a winner for the clash. Just a little boring of a result is all

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 2:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
oliver wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
E=MC2 is a great song there is no doubt about that but i just feel if that song had won it would be totally boring and just too predictable and i would have hope that keen fans of the band would go for something different. As i said in an eallier post somewhere about the repetitve listening of a favourite song for many years and how your present day choice would hopefully change. Medicine show though just keeps on sounding better after so many years and has so much going on it that it just lasts the test of time.

E=MC2 is a non fan choice of a winner for BAD just like SISOSIG would likely be a non fan choice of a winner for the clash. Just a little boring of a result is all
That last part is a bit unfair. I'm not a casual BAD fan but would have supported E=MC^2 all the way (assuming Sightsee didn't make it). I love Medicine Show, but were I to critique it, I'd say it goes too gimmicky with all the samples, dragging things out. It's an exercise in overabundance. And it works, don't get me wrong, but E=MC^2 has the same BAD virtues without seeming too over the top. It's such a 1 and 1a situation for me.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 2:27pm
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:
oliver wrote:

That last part is a bit unfair. I'm not a casual BAD fan but would have supported E=MC^2 all the way (assuming Sightsee didn't make it). I love Medicine Show, but were I to critique it, I'd say it goes too gimmicky with all the samples, dragging things out. It's an exercise in overabundance. And it works, don't get me wrong, but E=MC^2 has the same BAD virtues without seeming too over the top. It's such a 1 and 1a situation for me.
I'm signing off Doc's assessment. You won't get a bigger BAD fan than me but sometimes the most well known song is the best song. I've already professed my love for Medicine Show on this thread but E-mc2 has this weird ethereal quality that marks it higher for me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 6:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

I'm signing off Doc's assessment. You won't get a bigger BAD fan than me but sometimes the most well known song is the best song. I've already professed my love for Medicine Show on this thread but E-mc2 has this weird ethereal quality that marks it higher for me.
E=mc2 is far and away the best song in my book but I am not a big enough BAD fan to make much noise about it in the poll.

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Save it for the E=MC2 appreciation thread, you sore losers.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I think we can all agree the crown was stolen from the rightful king of the BAD pile: I Turned Out a Punk.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Flex wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 10:39pm
I think we can all agree the crown was stolen from the rightful king of the BAD pile: I Turned Out a Punk.
Innocent Child would’ve swept this
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Heston wrote:
11 Jun 2019, 6:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Heston wrote:

Must be just me then :mrgreen:

My favourite songs of BAD changes all the time depending on my moods or likes at the time as i feel there are so many good songs they have done. God i would be really dissapointed if after 35 years i would be still considering E=MC2 as my favourite tune. Different songs mean something to different people at different times of there lives i would hope? but to still be stuck in the same place with taste not changing after all this time just doesnt seem to work like that for me.

Totally happy with the result of Medicine show as i would have been with many others if they had won as well. I didnt vote but enjoyed the voting and watching the songs being eliminated

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 2:28pm
ALF wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 1:42pm
Great memories for me too. At that time I didn't event know that MJ was sacked from Clash, I was really into Combat Rock, and when I first hear The Bottom Line on a french radio I thought it was a Clash song (I lived near the spanish-french border but my french was very poor). Then I bought an imported and very expensive dutch copy of TIBAD and it became my favorite record. And since then, Medicine Show my favorite song.
I wonder what people would have thought if TIBAD WAS the sound of the next Clash album.
Could never of happened the same way. With Joe and Paul and Pete the album would've sounded more akin to Combat Rock. I do wonder how Medicine Show would've sounded with Pete behind the kit. Heavier for sure and I just can't imagine Joe and Paul going for those synth drums but then there is always the Bernie factor.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Kory wrote:
10 Jun 2019, 2:28pm
I wonder what people would have thought if TIBAD WAS the sound of the next Clash album.
Sorry i missed your interesting question first time around
My thoughts ....

That would have been huge with Joes vocals and sharing of vocals with mick. I would think that album would have been a bigger success than Combat Rock and London Calling. The clash brand and Joe's personality would have bull dozed it to the number one spot. That album was fresh and new no one had heard anything like that in the UK at the time before, but people were ready for it and it needed the push of the clash camp to make it a better success. With the clash backing the album that would have been the album to take them above all the greats at that time. The rapping may have needed someone outside to come in mickey dread maybe ?

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Who is Pete?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
21 Jun 2019, 5:07pm
Who is Pete?
Pete Howard, Clash drummer after Terry Chimes' second stint.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

aza
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by aza »

V13

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

ok - so learned today that Medicine Show was the name of a 1984 album by the Dream Syndicate......... produced by Sandy Pearlman