Spot The Album

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Re: Spot The Album

Post by MarkyJacobs »

"The majority won"t bother."

That.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 12:23pm
That's a good counter point I hadn't considered.
Coincidinkally, here's an article about it: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2019020 ... ate-change

Thinking seems to be that regularly played stuff is better for the environment in physical media, sampling stuff is better streaming/digital.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 3:53pm
matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2019, 12:23pm
That's a good counter point I hadn't considered.
Coincidinkally, here's an article about it: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2019020 ... ate-change

Thinking seems to be that regularly played stuff is better for the environment in physical media, sampling stuff is better streaming/digital.
I need more info on their assumptions. This paragraph is confusing:
Once vinyl or a CD is purchased, it can be played over and over again, the only carbon cost coming from running the record player. However, if we listen to our streamed music using a hi-fi sound system it’s estimated to use 107 kilowatt hours of electricity a year, costing about £15.00 to run. A CD player uses 34.7 kilowatt hours a year and costs £5 to run.
Is the greater power usage the "hi-fi sound system" or the streaming? It seems to be comparing "hi-fi sound system + streaming" vs. "cd player + cd". That's not a helpful comparison unless I'm misunderstanding.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

matedog wrote:
19 Feb 2019, 6:59pm
Is the greater power usage the "hi-fi sound system" or the streaming? It seems to be comparing "hi-fi sound system + streaming" vs. "cd player + cd". That's not a helpful comparison unless I'm misunderstanding.

I thought it was related to the previous paragraph, which takes into account server and network routing energy costs.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!