US North

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
topperville
Dirty Punk

Re: US North

Post by topperville »

Heston wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 10:55am
topperville wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 10:37am
Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 5:43pm
Matheries wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 5:23pm
Am I right in thinking this is getting released on the Strummer 001 album? I have'nt seen anything on here (I might of missed it if so)
Yes. Someone on Facebook (a journalist) has heard an advance copy and said it was unbelievable to hear Mick and Joe singing together on a completely unheard track.
Am I alone in not being able to hear Joe at all on this?
I can't either, sounds like Mick double-tracked. He did write the lyrics though.
Hmmm... I’m sure TeddyB said a while back that it had additional vocals from Joe? I just can’t hear them. I know Joe wrote the lyrics but seems odd...

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

topperville wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 11:15am
Heston wrote:
topperville wrote:
Heston wrote:
Matheries wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 5:23pm
Am I right in thinking this is getting released on the Strummer 001 album? I have'nt seen anything on here (I might of missed it if so)
Yes. Someone on Facebook (a journalist) has heard an advance copy and said it was unbelievable to hear Mick and Joe singing together on a completely unheard track.
I can't either, sounds like Mick double-tracked. He did write the lyrics though.
Hmmm... I’m sure TeddyB said a while back that it had additional vocals from Joe? I just can’t hear them. I know Joe wrote the lyrics but seems odd...
No, I think Teddy said Joe was buried if he's on it at all. A few other reviewers had mentioned how great it was to hear them singing together but I think they've got it wrong.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

River
Long Time Jerk

Post by River »

Heston wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 11:17am
topperville wrote:
29 Sep 2018, 11:15am
Heston wrote:
topperville wrote:
Heston wrote:

No, I think Teddy said Joe was buried if he's on it at all. A few other reviewers had mentioned how great it was to hear them singing together but I think they've got it wrong.
There's points during the song where you can hear Joe a bit. One of the parts is the "Tell me why, tell me why" line during the first group of verses. He's there, just far back. Sounds like Mick is double tracked, then Joe is on a single track.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

River is correct. Joe sings in unison the entire song. Mostly it’s hard to differentiate him, as all the vocals are centered, though he pops through a few times. He and Mick phrase so similarly. The mastering makes it harder to hear the vocals in general, or at least the lyrics, though they made the drums and guitar stronger, which I suppose is a trade off.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Great to hear this on the new box set. This was played at the Manchester International back in Feb 87, first time I saw BAD live. Poontang was also played that night. I hope there is a Strummer/Jones recording of that for box set 002!

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Makes me dance about about a bit & become footloose!
Joining the Street Parade

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

R-12587563-1538326612-5291.jpeg.jpg
R-12587563-1538326612-5291.jpeg.jpg (78.13 KiB) Viewed 4498 times

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

R-12587563-1538326665-2504.jpeg.jpg
R-12587563-1538326665-2504.jpeg.jpg (77.38 KiB) Viewed 4498 times
The ten plus minute is an entire film treatment! The 4:25 contemporaneous edit might make a better song...

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Finally got to hear it. I'll echo those who can barely hear Joe. And, lord, it just goes on and on and on. It's not a bad song by any means but it just keeps going. A judicious edit would be welcome.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Dan and Greg play on this, it seems. Mick plays bass!

But I've still not heard it.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

I like the fact it goes on and on! Like an extended 12" remix, but with constantly changing stuff (i.e. vocal/lyrics) rather than looped sections or instrumental breaks.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

JohnS wrote:
02 Oct 2018, 5:39am
I like the fact it goes on and on! Like an extended 12" remix, but with constantly changing stuff (i.e. vocal/lyrics) rather than looped sections or instrumental breaks.
I would only be repeat playing it anyway, saves me the trouble of skipping back.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 5:56pm
R-12587563-1538326665-2504.jpeg.jpg

The ten plus minute is an entire film treatment! The 4:25 contemporaneous edit might make a better song...
This clears the brief for the song up. It's an epic Desolation Row - with a tune this time - for the eighties, filled with cartoon gangsters, Alan Lomax bums, bottom of the rung chancers and a romanticised, weaponised melancholic tinge of hope, acceptance and brotherhood.

A shifting narrative told from various points of view, like an epistolary novel, but instead of letters, it's snatches of conversations from the end of bars and the backseats of busted cars. It's up to the listener to decide if the same character is speaking twice or if it is two or more people sharing a point of view. Or even if it's happening in the same time period. I fucking love it.

Too short at ten minutes for me, I wanna keep dancing to it even after it finishes. I even like Schrodinger's Strummer vocal, you're left listening hard, catching what might be glimpses of his voice through the passing telephone poles from the dirty window of the chugging locomotive that is the song. The melody is unstoppable.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Needs an edit.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
03 Oct 2018, 4:41am
Needs an edit.
It's gonna get one.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board