I Turned Out A Punk

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: I Turned Out A Punk

Post by laxman »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 5:38pm
I once owned a 12" inch single that played different tracks on the same side - presumably according to where you dropped the needle at the beginning.

Anyone else seen this? What's it called?
I think I might have a 12” single like that. Maybe the first Fuzzbox single?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 2:39pm
MarkyJacobs wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 8:57pm
Was only trying to help.
Sorry, that didn't come across well but I was only joking.
Didn't Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief album do this? One side was side 1 and then the other side had sides 2 and 3 on it, I think.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 1:23pm
Heston wrote:
MarkyJacobs wrote:
Was only trying to help.
Didn't Monty Python's Matching Tie and Handkerchief album do this? One side was side 1 and then the other side had sides 2 and 3 on it, I think.
Right—it was double grooved. There was also a floppy vinyl that came in an issue of Mad called “A Super Spectacular Day.” The beginning was always the same, about how wonderful life is until … followed by a half dozen different endings about how the day went to shit.

Edit: Found the Mad record on youtube.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
I once owned a 12" inch single that played different tracks on the same side - presumably according to where you dropped the needle at the beginning.

Known as concentric or parallel grooves. There have been a fair few over the years. I had a Sonic Youth one years back. My favourite has to a 12'' single by psychobilly band King Kurt their song Destination Zulu Land had a B-side called Dnal Uluz Noitanitsed and it played from the centre groove out to the edge.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by dave202 »

The 12" M single of Pop Muzik / M Factor came out like that. Pain in the arse it was. Mind you, I gave a loan to a mate who was a DJ and he put it on without knowing - and yes, he got M Factor.

CDS1976
Corner Soul

Post by CDS1976 »

Kory wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 1:23pm
Heston wrote:
MarkyJacobs wrote:
Was only trying to help.

Correct. This was the first time I discovered they can make this. I thought I was losing my mind at first :mrgreen:

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

I remember on the old Stranglers Album Aural Sculpture in cassette format they had a hidden computer game that was written by the keyboardist Dave Greenfield and i think it was called Aural Quest. I had the cassette but never played the game so i wouldn't know how good it was, i think you needed an Amstrad computer to play it.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

laxman wrote:
17 Jun 2018, 4:49pm
oliver wrote:
16 Jun 2018, 9:15am
In the wikipedia article for f-punk it says:
There is also a hidden track 3:47 into "I Turned Out a Punk"
Have I been missing something for 23 years? They're just considering that extended outro part as an 'extra track' right?
I think you are right about the extended outro part. Just played it. There is a bit of a pause at 3:47, which is presumably when the single version ended, and then it goes into the extended part.
i just checked as well :) and I think it must be this but its a bit of a stretch of the imagination to call it a extra track. The song has a definate change of drum pace and tune but they clearly sing quietly "I turned out a punk" as it fades out. Struggling to understand why the wikipedia would consider this as a hidden extra track if they didnt continue singing then an extra interlude song i would agree like they did on megatop. i think wiki is trying to be too clever at discovering something new.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

MarkyJacobs wrote:

Monty Python's Matching Tie And Handkerchief album has one side that plays through 2 different ways, a second groove on the album side, freaked the hell out of my brother and I when I got the record and we listened to it, lol. That was in like 1973 or 74, we freaked out and then laughed our asses off at what they had done.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

weller259 wrote:
11 May 2022, 1:21pm
MarkyJacobs wrote:

Monty Python's Matching Tie And Handkerchief album has one side that plays through 2 different ways, a second groove on the album side, freaked the hell out of my brother and I when I got the record and we listened to it, lol. That was in like 1973 or 74, we freaked out and then laughed our asses off at what they had done.
We talked about this at the top of this page! :lol:
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Mark^Bastard
Sightsee MC

Post by Mark^Bastard »

oliver wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 8:46am
laxman wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 7:33am
MarkyJacobs wrote:
18 Jun 2018, 6:23am
This really ought not to matter to anyone?
Ha ha, I agree there may be more important things in the world but I greatly appreciate this community and what it gives, so didn't see any harm in helping answer a question. Plus I must admit I was intrigued as to how there could be a hidden track part way through another track.
This was it exactly. I remember one album had a hidden track at the start where you'd need to reverse to -5:00 (or whatever) to hear it.

For this one I was thinking along the lines of an enhanced CD or something... a track that autostarted when you played on a computer perhaps
I believe it's also possible to have this before every track. but it won't be skipped when one song leads into another.

E.g. Track 7 could have a part that starts in the negatives. If you play track 6 you will hear it before track 7 plays. If you fast forward to 7 you won't hear it. But the interesting thing is if you had the CD on random it would play track 6 but never play the leading part to track 7. I guess that's what it was designed for and it's a shame people didn't use it more on live albums that have a lot of crowd noise before songs. Particularly when the singer says stuff like "This next song is about a time we were in Memphis and..." and all of that is stuck to the end of the previous song :rolleyes: