Stone Thames

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Re: Stone Thames

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Kory wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 6:52pm

Smokescreen!

Oakscreen?
Get yer coat.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Wonder if it was a Don or Mick lyric? Either way it was streets ahead of where Joe was at this point. I'm one of CtC's biggest defenders but BAD were on another level.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 7:11pm
Wonder if it was a Don or Mick lyric? Either way it was streets ahead of where Joe was at this point. I'm one of CtC's biggest defenders but BAD were on another level.
Don't talk shop. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Heston wrote:
I think you have to assume Don had significant input, as BAD II's lyrics never got anywhere close!

Apparently Joe's first words to Mick on reconciliation were to the effect that he didn't like the first BAD album much. I'm sorry Joe, but what's not to like?

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Going back to the Stussy warehouse thing...

The only person I can think of, capable of such celebrity hobnobbing, is Piers Morgan.

Scary!

Heston

Post by Heston »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 7:06am
Heston wrote:
I think you have to assume Don had significant input, as BAD II's lyrics never got anywhere close!

Apparently Joe's first words to Mick on reconciliation were to the effect that he didn't like the first BAD album much. I'm sorry Joe, but what's not to like?
Joe had other motives, like reforming the real Clash.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Even so...

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 6:01pm
Kory wrote:
05 Sep 2017, 5:17pm
Maybe Teddy IS Oakenfold...
It would be interesting if he was. But I'm sure Teddy said he visited (the Stussy warehouse) with Mick and Oakenfold...
Yes, we did. It was in ‘91 I think, before the U2 tour. Paul Oakenfold is a very good friend of Gary Stonadge. And I’m not him.

drowninghere
Long Time Jerk

Post by drowninghere »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
Heston wrote:

From what I remember reading, I think it would be a mistake to give Don too much credit for the quality of the lyrics on that album.

Heston

Post by Heston »

drowninghere wrote:
06 Sep 2017, 11:11pm
MarkyJacobs wrote:
Heston wrote:

From what I remember reading, I think it would be a mistake to give Don too much credit for the quality of the lyrics on that album.
I would have thought the same until I learned he wrote the E=MC2 lyrics.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Most Jones/Letts songs were collaborative. The ideas flow back and forth in the air, and then they become songs. It would also be a mistake, however, not to give Don enough credit.

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 2:54am
Most Jones/Letts songs were collaborative. The ideas flow back and forth in the air
Air thick with marijuana smoke, I shouldn't wonder.

Let's not forget The Bottom Line though. It's arguably the strongest song anywhere for which Mick receives sole credit.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

MarkyJacobs wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 9:27am
07 Sep 2017, 2:54am
Most Jones/Letts songs were collaborative. The ideas flow back and forth in the air
Air thick with marijuana smoke, I shouldn't wonder.

Let's not forget The Bottom Line though. It's arguably the strongest song anywhere for which Mick receives sole credit.
Yes, but Mick has actually recently given a co-credit on The Bottom Line to Robin Banks. Like I said, the ideas flow back and forth and in the air with Mick (high or not), and sometimes they end up in a song. Mick can write a lyric though.

Heston

Post by Heston »

07 Sep 2017, 7:02pm
Mick can write a lyric though.
He more or less single-handedly wrote my favourite song of all time (Complete Control) if the biogs are correct.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
07 Sep 2017, 8:01pm
07 Sep 2017, 7:02pm
Mick can write a lyric though.
He more or less single-handedly wrote my favourite song of all time (Complete Control) if the biogs are correct.
I don't trust you...

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia