The Globe - 25 years later...

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Ed Roach
Corner Soul

The Globe - 25 years later...

Post by Ed Roach »

Hard to believe it's been 25 years since this gem was released (we never got the Kool-Aid lp here in Canada), and it still sounds fresh.
For me, it's the album that I put on to bring in the summer.
I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been any anniversary reissue for it...there's enough material for an extra disc, maybe a good time to release Kool-Aid 'officially' to the rest of the world?

Gonna go put this on the stereo right now!

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: The Globe - 25 years later...

Post by coffeepotman »

Still love it and listen to it often, never get tired of it

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Surprised it didn't sell better given the heavy radio airplay Rush and The Globe got on alterna-radio in the States at precisely the time when alterna-radio was starting to get big. Late, lamented WFNX in Boston (this city has always maintained an outsized B.A.D. fanbase) used to dip into deep cuts like Green Grass and a radio-edited I Don't Know that drops the opening interlude. I developed more of an affinity of that album because of the non-singles getting some local love.

I mean, it's a typical B.A.D. slopfest full of production warts and OCD-level Mickisms. Kinda dated, but so very emblematic of "Technicolor 1991" when the afterglow of Madchester was still exerting its influence on music and everyone was still sporting their post-Berlin Wall/pre-Gulf War dancing feet of optimism about the change in world affairs. That pop culture era really only lasted '89-91 before things got all angsty again, but the 2-1/2 years it roughly lasted was a very vivid moment in time. I turned 13 in '91...very interesting little era-let to come of age in. The Globe pegs the overall vibe of the time pretty spot-on, so it's always going to be an outsized-evocative listen for me even though I wouldn't rank it any higher than #4 overall quality-wise in B.A.D.'s uneven catalogue.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Ed Roach wrote:Hard to believe it's been 25 years since this gem was released (we never got the Kool-Aid lp here in Canada), and it still sounds fresh.
For me, it's the album that I put on to bring in the summer.
I'm a bit surprised that there hasn't been any anniversary reissue for it...there's enough material for an extra disc, maybe a good time to release Kool-Aid 'officially' to the rest of the world?

Gonna go put this on the stereo right now!
Thanks for this post as you made me go back and do the same.

I always listen to BAD in shuffle mode but to revisit this with a full listen to the album was a real pleasure this morning brought back a lot of old memories. BAD II was always over-shadowed by the original lineup but what a great album this is and definitely equal and arguably better to any other album in the full catalogue of the band.
I know so many have said the same but i will add my two bit. Such a shame that the revival didn't last as long as it should have, as it made so many people so happy and i remember even i was walking on air at the thought of a new album coming out.

Even more of a shame that this band will just be left to drift by in a quiet way unnoticed which was never what Big Audio Dynamite was ever about.
Especially as they were so far ahead of there time that now there music is more relevant today then it ever has been. They will all be remembered whether as BAD or BAD II as legends for me .

Unfortunately with out stating the obvious i don't think we will ever see BAD in a current format ever again. The best to hope for is a re-issue with maybe some of the favorite unreleased stuff we all so desperate want to see properly released but i have a few doubts about that as well.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I like the Ally Pally Paradiso live album that accompanies this too, including the dodgy bootleg style song titles!

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

laxman wrote:I like the Ally Pally Paradiso live album that accompanies this too, including the dodgy bootleg style song titles!
For the same reasons i like this album too especially as i was at that Alexandra palace gig and i still have my rare vinyl version. I was really stressed at the time as it was 2000 copies only and a first come first served basis as well so you had to be quick with the order. It wasn't available at the time anywhere else or on any other format.

Its a brilliant album even though i think the production feels a little distant But ..... Battle of all saints road is appalling and embarrassing version with that terrible sample and btw does any one know what on earth is that awful sample that replaces Don Letts excellent rough vocals ?

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

NoMoreHugh wrote:
laxman wrote:I like the Ally Pally Paradiso live album that accompanies this too, including the dodgy bootleg style song titles!
For the same reasons i like this album too especially as i was at that Alexandra palace gig and i still have my rare vinyl version. I was really stressed at the time as it was 2000 copies only and a first come first served basis as well so you had to be quick with the order. It wasn't available at the time anywhere else or on any other format.

Its a brilliant album even though i think the production feels a little distant But ..... Battle of all saints road is appalling and embarrassing version with that terrible sample and btw does any one know what on earth is that awful sample that replaces Don Letts excellent rough vocals ?
The thing I don't like about it is the fact that Mick has double tracked his vocals on a lot of the songs. Takes away from the "live" element a bit!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

NoMoreHugh wrote:

I managed to get the vinyl version too when it was issued. Just bought the double CD version of the Globe with it earlier this year. I'll have to listen again to the sample.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Ally Pally much better than the Live in London 1992 DVD

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

laxman wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

I managed to get the vinyl version too when it was issued. Just bought the double CD version of the Globe with it earlier this year. I'll have to listen again to the sample.
:cool: You did well too as a couple of my friends didnt get theirs. I basically got my version from NME i think got a code or something similar and sent off for my special offer of the only production recording of the band live at the time. This album doubles up with the Globe as a very nice double CD package i own that one as well. :)

I really like live in london as well

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Heston wrote:
NoMoreHugh wrote:

The thing I don't like about it is the fact that Mick has double tracked his vocals on a lot of the songs. Takes away from the "live" element a bit!
I never considered that that was the case - Yeah i have to admit i find that sort of thing disappointing as well

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Even more of a shame that this band will just be left to drift by in a quiet way unnoticed which was never what Big Audio Dynamite was ever about.
Especially as they were so far ahead of there time that now there music is more relevant today then it ever has been. They will all be remembered whether as BAD or BAD II as legends for me .

Unfortunately with out stating the obvious i don't think we will ever see BAD in a current format ever again. The best to hope for is a re-issue with maybe some of the favorite unreleased stuff we all so desperate want to see properly released but i have a few doubts about that as well.
Seconded -- I saw 'em five times, and was always struck by how different they were live, compared to what they did recording-wise (both good, both valid, just two totally contrasting experiences).

To me, The Globe is the standout album of the BAD II era, when the impetus and momentum of the lineup change seemed fresh. I didn't get Kool-Aid till some years after the fact, but it makes for a nice companion piece to the former album, as well.

Surprised that nobody's mentioned When The Time Comes, which is one of my top tracks from that album -- as timely today as it was then, unfortunately.

As for reissues, well, I'd love to see 'em as much as you or anyone else, but I suspect Don summed it up during those reunion interviews ("whether Sony thinks it's worthwhile is another matter"). I don't see BAD slipping away totally unnoticed, though: I think they left a footprint among those "in the know," who are the folks that typically push things forward.

The diversity of their music, the different slant that Mick & co. took, production-wise -- I think it still resonates with people who wanting to do something else, besides swim with the latest trends (God forbid). But among those who followed the story from start to finish, I think there's still a lot of respect and admiration for what both of those lineups did.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Chairman Ralph wrote:

Seconded -- I saw 'em five times, and was always struck by how different they were live, compared to what they did recording-wise (both good, both valid, just two totally contrasting experiences).

To me, The Globe is the standout album of the BAD II era, when the impetus and momentum of the lineup change seemed fresh. I didn't get Kool-Aid till some years after the fact, but it makes for a nice companion piece to the former album, as well.

Surprised that nobody's mentioned When The Time Comes, which is one of my top tracks from that album -- as timely today as it was then, unfortunately.

As for reissues, well, I'd love to see 'em as much as you or anyone else, but I suspect Don summed it up during those reunion interviews ("whether Sony thinks it's worthwhile is another matter"). I don't see BAD slipping away totally unnoticed, though: I think they left a footprint among those "in the know," who are the folks that typically push things forward.

The diversity of their music, the different slant that Mick & co. took, production-wise -- I think it still resonates with people who wanting to do something else, besides swim with the latest trends (God forbid). But among those who followed the story from start to finish, I think there's still a lot of respect and admiration for what both of those lineups did.
I am glad you mentioned that about the live experience as i found that too. I am sure i have mentioned this before but didn't really get much agreement in the past but it could have been to someone else. To me studio and live are both great but the live is where it is all happens. I always think the studio versions never quite reach the same power they had when performed live. I have seen BAD both formats so many times i cant remember and they are the best live band i have ever seen and i have seen a lot of bands - The bootlegs have never captured just how good it was unfortunately .

And here now i will get shot down :) . I could not go and see the revival as i feel i have seen both formats at their very best and now they are too old to even compare to those days and i dont want those memories to be spoilt by seeing a watered down version. I may be wrong and i trust people on here judgement but for me i have fantastic times seeing them so i wont take that risk. I still think they should do it as it was amazing to see how much joy their return gave to so many people. Why the hell mick lets the state of the music scene get in the way of providing so much fun for his fans is beyond me and feels such a waste.

Would love another album though - possible then i would check them out live

Oh before i forget Kool Aid is up there too with the Globe i love it . In fact Kool Aid was the first one to be released and i remember feeling a little cheated by the same songs on each album but then liking it even more as the mixes where really refreshingly different.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I am glad you mentioned that about the live experience as i found that too. I am sure i have mentioned this before but didn't really get much agreement in the past but it could have been to someone else. To me studio and live are both great but the live is where it is all happens. I always think the studio versions never quite reach the same power they had when performed live. I have seen BAD both formats so many times i cant remember and they are the best live band i have ever seen and i have seen a lot of bands - The bootlegs have never captured just how good it was unfortunately ..
I understand where you're coming from, definitely -- that's one reason why I started, all these years ago, listening to live tapes, and buying (or swapping for) boots of my favorite bands. I agree that live, that's when you see what a band can really do, as opposed to having the time and energy to polish something again and again in the studio (though, mind you, that's a different beast altogether -- starting with the ability to separate each instrument, which isn't something that happens in a live setting, obviously).

And that's why I really prefer certain live versions of songs, as opposed to their recorded counterparts. Lately, that distinction goes to Gen X's "English Dream," for which I vastly prefer the version from Live In Sheffield to the original recorded version (and, now that I think of it, the Osaka '79 live tape that eventually got out on the boxed set). Amazing how that works, isn't it?
And here now i will get shot down :) . I could not go and see the revival as i feel i have seen both formats at their very best and now they are too old to even compare to those days and i dont want those memories to be spoilt by seeing a watered down version. I may be wrong and i trust people on here judgement but for me i have fantastic times seeing them so i wont take that risk. I still think they should do it as it was amazing to see how much joy their return gave to so many people. Why the hell mick lets the state of the music scene get in the way of providing so much fun for his fans is beyond me and feels such a waste.

Would love another album though - possible then i would check them out live
Yeah, I'd agree on that -- it's not for me to say whether they should or shouldn't, I'd have loved to seen a new album come out of the exercise (as opposed to a live greatest hits package).

I too have my own vivid memories that I don't want to spoil, myself, such as those final shows with the original lineup at the Subterania -- I went to two of those four nights, and remember somebody merrily videoing away on the last one, without a care in the world (or anyone else, it seemed, caring about him)....it was the holiday mood, I suppose. :mrgreen:

Kool-Aid and The Globe complement each other quite well -- they bring back memories of an era, when (for a time, at least) the US audience seemed interested in anything British....before the chill of a post-Nirvana world set in. What a time it was, though (for awhile, anyway).

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

I'm not going to shoot anyone down over their own personal views!

I saw the Manchester show on the reunion tour and really enjoyed it. It didn't feel like a nostalgic, chicken in a basket reunion tour. Having seen MJ in the Clash, the original BAD, Carbon Silicon and on the Justice Tonight tour it seemed to fit in with the progression to someone who is just enjoying what he is doing.