Mick & shepherds Bush Empire

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Battersea
Dirty Punk

Mick & shepherds Bush Empire

Post by Battersea »

Mick talking about the Empire, fantastic venue seen so many good gigs here over the years inc Joe & the Mesc's

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1usvjoxxwxwne ... s.mp4?dl=0

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Mick & shepherds Bush Empire

Post by oliver »

He makes it sound like he first played there in 2011 but I'm sure I saw Big Audio there when Higher Power came out
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Is the Empire the one with the balcony / mezzanine around the edge?
Never seen a band there but many a good boxing night.

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

I can't envisage boxing at the Empire, 101w, but you never know. Maybe you're thinking of the place (almost) next door - it used to be a Walkabout bar but I've seen bands there. I think it's closed now though.
Shepherds Bush Empire is one of my favourite venues - not too big, and with some atmosphere and character to the place. The scene of the first and last times I saw Joe Strummer, too - in 1999 in the foyer after a Brian Setzer Orchestra gig, and in July 2002 for his last 'big venue' London gig (I never got to the Acton one in November, dammit)
Thanks for the link to the video, Mr Battersea - a nice glimpse behind the scenes. One thing Mick doesn't mention there is that it used to be the BBC Theatre from the 1950s-1980s, and I remember he mentioned this on stage when BAD played there in 2011. He said he was chuffed to be sharing the same stage where they made Hancock's Half Hour.
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

oliver wrote:He makes it sound like he first played there in 2011 but I'm sure I saw Big Audio there when Higher Power came out
True

A live boot from 1994 exist

Battersea
Dirty Punk

Post by Battersea »

I've uploaded Joe at the Empire 11th July 2002, if you've not seen it then it'll remind you how great this man was !!!