A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Mick Jones, Carbon/Silicon, BAD and cetera.
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by Heston »

Bazarboy has put up a great show dedicated to BAD II on Mixcloud, featuring an extensive interview with Andre Shapps.

Andre sheds a lot of light on the beginnings of BAD II and goes into a bit of depth about the creation of those sample-heavy albums. It was good to hear a few songs I've never heard for a long time too. Here's the link to part one, I'll post up the second part when it lands...

There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: A must for anyone interested in the BAD II era

Post by oliver »

Nice... interesting stuff.

Regarding Higher Power, am I the only one who has no idea what an engineer actually does?
Putting a little stick about. Putting the frighteners on flash little twerps

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

oliver wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 4:52pm
Regarding Higher Power, am I the only one who has no idea what an engineer actually does?
I recall reading a semi-famous essay/rant by Steve Albini, who said that because few producers have actual knowledge of recording, the real production work—the nuts and bolts of it—is done by the engineer. Producers now are more conceptual figures, idea people and sparring partners with the bands. But actually working the board and miking things up properly now is the engineer's job.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 5:27pm
oliver wrote:
I recall reading a semi-famous essay/rant by Steve Albini, who said that because few producers have actual knowledge of recording, the real production work—the nuts and bolts of it—is done by the engineer. Producers now are more conceptual figures, idea people and sparring partners with the bands. But actually working the board and miking things up properly now is the engineer's job.
That makes sense. Thanks

Heston

Post by Heston »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:
The Doc is correct. The engineer does the technical stuff, the producer decides what comes out the other end.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Reference to Esmark's site suggests they didn't tour quite as extensively as André remembers.
Last edited by MarkyJacobs on 25 Jun 2018, 7:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

They toured more extensively at times than Sony would have liked. BAD II kept touring the world with U2 when the record company wanted them back in the studio. I don't know if Esmark' site has everything, but they toured pretty much non-stop from Fall '91 until the end of '92, then more sporadically through '93 and '94, then heavily again in '95.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

oliver wrote:
22 Jun 2018, 6:37pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
oliver wrote:
That makes sense. Thanks
Yeah, the engineer's job title is a good description of what they do, while the producer is more like a guiding influence for the band, even to the point of arranging songs or suggesting changes to them, or being a cheerleader, Guy Stevens-style. Their relationship to the engineer is such that they may say that they want an EQ change on a track or an effect applied. They often know what sound they want, but don't have the technical skill to make it happen. The producer often mixes the album upon completion, but not always.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 5:31pm
They toured more extensively at times than Sony would have liked. BAD II kept touring the world with U2 when the record company wanted them back in the studio. I don't know if Esmark' site has everything, but they toured pretty much non-stop from Fall '91 until the end of '92, then more sporadically through '93 and '94, then heavily again in '95.
Okay. Perhaps it was André''s family name that led me to doubt the credibility of his words. ;)

The line-up changed in 1995, didn't it?

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

MarkyJacobs wrote:
26 Jun 2018, 4:54pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
25 Jun 2018, 5:31pm
Okay. Perhaps it was André''s family name that led me to doubt the credibility of his words. ;)

The line-up changed in 1995, didn't it?
Yes ;) ... and yes. in mid-'95. But Andre was still there...

Heston

Post by Heston »

Part 2 here...

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Didn't Mick use the F Punk method with some success to record The Libertines?

MarkyJacobs
Junco Partner

Post by MarkyJacobs »

Sorry, forgot to say thanks for this. How rude of me!

Thanks, Heston. Thanks, Bazarboy.

oliver
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by oliver »

Thanks... thoroughly enjoyed these.

Vimmattu
Long Time Jerk

Post by Vimmattu »

The show is fantastic. Thank you, Bazarboy! Very interesting interview with Andre and great tunes. Good to hear your brilliant remixes too, especially Spanish Bombs and 7 Years (thanks Heston!).
This made my day.
- Pilled up and rrattling -