So...what did Paul actually play on?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: So...what did Paul actually play on?

Post by Marky Dread » 07 Nov 2017, 1:04pm

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 11:25am
matedog wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 11:12am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 11:05am
matedog wrote:
07 Nov 2017, 11:01am
Also, I love the notion that the run time is what made it a less marketable single. "If only we can get this song about the death of the steel industry in Northern England and American GIs fathering and abandoning their children in Vietnam under four minutes, it'll fit along nicely with Rick Springfield and Lionel Ritchie on the charts."
Well, yeah, but if the song is over four minutes long, short of it being "Hey Jude," it's not going to get airplay, no way no how. Taking care of run time was an important factor because radio stations would look at that before the lyrics.
I always assumed it was released as a "double A side" with SISOSIG not because they thought it would sell, but because they realized how great a song it was/is and wanted to give it extra exposure. A moody, super ambient song with no real chorus or 2/4 backbeat with some outstanding, but disparate lyrics has never and will never be a radio hit. So the idea of trimming it down seems pointless. But then again, I could be way off. Did this song get any level of radio play at the time?
Can't speak to your question about airplay, but trimming it down created a possibility that otherwise would not have existed. And the charts allowed for more oddities back then. The industry was still recovering from the disco oversaturation debacle and was a lot more open to anything that might move. It was a crisis that created opportunities for atypical singles.
Matey is correct about getting the song more exposure and trimming it down in this instance makes very little difference when it's on the wrong side of a double 'A' sided single with something so catchy as SISoSIG? Did it get any airplay? if it did I never heard it but I sure as hell heard SISoSIG? plenty of times. SISoSIG? got to no. 17 in the charts here first time out and that was after RtC only made no. 30. So the only reason for putting StH as a double A has to be for exposure. It's a shame when you think it was an AA with SISoSIG? becuase all that really happened was it got relegated to B-side status so it sits with First Nigh Back in London/Long Time Jerk. In the US SISoSIG? was backed with Innoculated City/Cool Confusion which tells it's own story that the band didn't think StH would get any radio play there. If the single edit had been released here as a stand alone 7'' it may have reached the top 40 but I doubt it would've gone much higher.