So...what did Paul actually play on?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

So...what did Paul actually play on?

Post by IkarisOne »

When Ralph interviewed Nick he made mention of Watt Roy playing on Cut the Crap and implied that Paul not playing on Clash records was SOP for The Clash. There's been rumors of Paul's tracks been rerecorded since day one. Listening to 'The Crooked Beat' it's pretty hard to imagine that bass player playing on 'Hitsville UK', for instance. Listening to Clash soundboards you get the pretty clear impression that Paul really didn't understand the concept of "beat" all that well, which seems problematic when The Clash were increasingly playing syncopated beat music. There are things I can imagine are definitely him- say the rock version of 'Cool Confusion' for instance, but past that it starts to get a lot murkier. What can you imagine Paul actually playing on and what do you see someone else- Joe, Mick, Topper, Watt Roy, whoever- re-recording Paul's parts on? I never thought Paul played on 'One More Time', for instance. It's simply too fluid and limber and Paul could never approximate it live. Overpowered by Funk? Forget it. Maybe the Paul bass tracks are the minority and the non-Paul the majority....

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: So...what did Paul actually play on?

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

I don't know but his live playing with the Gorillaz was very cool. It's funny/interesting that a musician can improve while not actually playing very much in the interim.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

I've got serious doubt on all the young punks....

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

I doubt Pearlman would have sent him upstairs to practice for days on end if he wasn't on GEER. This stuff doesn't bother me anyway, I think records are about getting the best performance over, no matter what it takes. And unless you're recording straight up live, it's all a bit of a cheat anyway, innit?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Heston wrote:I doubt Pearlman would have sent him upstairs to practice for days on end if he wasn't on GEER. This stuff doesn't bother me anyway, I think records are about getting the best performance over, no matter what it takes. And unless you're recording straight up live, it's all a bit of a cheat anyway, innit?
He could have sent him to practice and still decided it wasn't good enough. But I'm more interested in the trickier stuff, not so much the straight eights.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

In other way i read in a French newspaper an old article about sandinista, Mick Paul and Joe were itw.
About look here it's Paul, he said this one gave him hard time and made mistake all the time, but at the end it's him on the track

But not on Lightning strike (For Paul the Slap don't even exist)
I've got serious doubt on Version city, rebel waltz, Hitsville UK, M7, Broadway, Junkie slip

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

bazarboy75 wrote:In other way i read in a French newspaper an old article about sandinista, Mick Paul and Joe were itw.
About look here it's Paul, he said this one gave him hard time and made mistake all the time, but at the end it's him on the track

I've got serious doubt on Version city, rebel waltz, Hitsville UK, M7, Broadway, Junkie slip
M7 and Lightning we know is Watt Roy, I'd say HUK most definitely is as well.

bazarboy75
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by bazarboy75 »

Stay Free is surely Mick
Rock the casbah is surely Topper

Heston

Post by Heston »

IkarisOne wrote:
bazarboy75 wrote:In other way i read in a French newspaper an old article about sandinista, Mick Paul and Joe were itw.

M7 and Lightning we know is Watt Roy, I'd say HUK most definitely is as well.
Didn't Paul miss a lot of the Sandinista sessions because he was making that movie? It's well documented that Mick, Joe and Norman played a lot of bass on the album.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Heston

Post by Heston »

Also, remember the Mick/Paul argument about the bass EQ level on Know Your Rights? I doubt that would have happened if Paul's parts were being replaced.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Norman told me personally that he played on 16 tracks on Sandinista. :cool:

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

The tone is sometimes a giveaway. Compare Charlie to Version City, for example.

Heston

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:Norman told me personally that he played on 16 tracks on Sandinista. :cool:
So...less than a third?

IkarisOne
Unknown Immortal

Post by IkarisOne »

Inder wrote:The tone is sometimes a giveaway. Compare Charlie to Version City, for example.
Didn't Watt Roy take credit for the Charlie bassline?

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

If he did, wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the ones Paul re-recorded. Sounds like flatulent mid-range thunka-thunk compared to the silky smooth undergarments of tracks like VC.

Or I could be entirely wrong. :shifty: