So...what did Paul actually play on?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Re: So...what did Paul actually play on?

Post by Wolter »

Kory wrote:
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:I don't know but his live playing with the Gorillaz was very cool. It's funny/interesting that a musician can improve while not actually playing very much in the interim.
I know it's shat upon here, but I really dig his playing on TGTB&TQ.
I think it's probably shat upon because it's horribly boring.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'd like to revive this discussion after listening to Rat Patrol so much lately. Is there any information on how many tracks Paul played on? I know we see him in that news report from Westway to the World playing on KYR, and I think that song was also the subject of the infamous mixing desk fight over what instruments should be louder. It's clear that he didn't play on OBF and RTC, but what else? We can probably assume that Mick took the bass chair for SISOSIG. Any other theories or info?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Kory wrote:I'd like to revive this discussion after listening to Rat Patrol so much lately. Is there any information on how many tracks Paul played on? I know we see him in that news report from Westway to the World playing on KYR, and I think that song was also the subject of the infamous mixing desk fight over what instruments should be louder. It's clear that he didn't play on OBF and RTC, but what else? We can probably assume that Mick took the bass chair for SISOSIG. Any other theories or info?
Who did OBF then? RTC is supposedly Topper, but I'm not sure I believe that.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

matedog wrote:
Kory wrote:I'd like to revive this discussion after listening to Rat Patrol so much lately. Is there any information on how many tracks Paul played on? I know we see him in that news report from Westway to the World playing on KYR, and I think that song was also the subject of the infamous mixing desk fight over what instruments should be louder. It's clear that he didn't play on OBF and RTC, but what else? We can probably assume that Mick took the bass chair for SISOSIG. Any other theories or info?
The story goes that Topper had the track almost complete by the time everyone showed up to the studio. Do you suspect Mick instead, then? I can't speak to OBF, but that is some serious basswork. Did they still have Watt-Roy in their pocket?

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Jerry Green?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:Jerry Green?
Very interesting. It's obviously not unheard of for engineers to help out once in a while. Is he a known musician? I don't know much about him. Are you suggesting him for both tracks?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I'm pretty sure he sang on Mull of Kintyre.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Marky Dread wrote:I'm pretty sure he sang on Mull of Kintyre.
:mad:
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Kory wrote:
Very interesting. It's obviously not unheard of for engineers to help out once in a while. Is he a known musician? I don't know much about him. Are you suggesting him for both tracks?
It's my understanding he played some bass in the studio, possibly on RTC. I know that runs counter to Joe's description of Topper throwing down the bass after the drums and piano. This is not direct from Mick.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
Kory wrote:
It's my understanding he played some bass in the studio, possibly on RTC. I know that runs counter to Joe's description of Topper throwing down the bass after the drums and piano. This is not direct from Mick.
That's some cool info, cheers TB.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
According to Topper. Watt Roy played on Casbah...

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Norman_Watt-Roy

OBF certainly sounds like Norman, that slappy bit in the middle especially.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

At least Paul was replaced by probably the greatest bass player ever.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

SISOSIG sounds like Paul.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

I just wish they included a link to that interview. Google turns up empty.

I'm still skeptical. They were pretty open about their playing on S!, so why cover it up on CR? Plus Norman Watt Roy usually meant Mickey Gallagher as well. That's even how it was on CTC until Bernie axed Mickey.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

matedog wrote:
Heston wrote:
matedog wrote:

I just wish they included a link to that interview. Google turns up empty.

I'm still skeptical. They were pretty open about their playing on S!, so why cover it up on CR? Plus Norman Watt Roy usually meant Mickey Gallagher as well. That's even how it was on CTC until Bernie axed Mickey.
Paul was out of the country when those Sandinista tracks were recorded. As far as i'm aware, he was present for CR sessions, so to say he wasn't playing on them would beg the question "Why not?"