Rat Patrol reconstruction

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27597
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Heston » 22 Nov 2017, 4:29pm

Kory wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 3:00pm
WestwayKid wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 2:27pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 9:33pm
Whatever the debate, this is the running order Mick had cut to acetates at Electric Lady for RPFFB. There is also a photo of the four sided sequence from Electric Lady that was posted here sometime back, maybe by C.K.

SIDE 1
Straight to Hell
Know Your Rights
Rock the Casbah
Red Angel Dragnet

SIDE 2
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn

SIDE 3
Car Jamming
The Fulham Connection II
Atom Tan
First Night Back in London

SIDE 4
Inoculated City
Death is a Star
Cool Confusion
Idle in Kangaroo Court W1
This would have made a fascinating album and looking at this track listing - seeing songs in different places - makes me rethink the whole flow of the LP.
This guy was the first time I had seen that running order: http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com ... bragg.html. It blew my mind...along with Mick's more atmospheric mixes, this running order maximizes the creepy factor. I turned off the lights, lit a j, and listened in a haze that very night. The album presented this way is very interesting statement and I want to live inside it.
I like the cut of your jib and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 37548
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Marky Dread » 22 Nov 2017, 4:32pm

Heston wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:29pm
Kory wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 3:00pm
WestwayKid wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 2:27pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 9:33pm
Whatever the debate, this is the running order Mick had cut to acetates at Electric Lady for RPFFB. There is also a photo of the four sided sequence from Electric Lady that was posted here sometime back, maybe by C.K.

SIDE 1
Straight to Hell
Know Your Rights
Rock the Casbah
Red Angel Dragnet

SIDE 2
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn

SIDE 3
Car Jamming
The Fulham Connection II
Atom Tan
First Night Back in London

SIDE 4
Inoculated City
Death is a Star
Cool Confusion
Idle in Kangaroo Court W1
This would have made a fascinating album and looking at this track listing - seeing songs in different places - makes me rethink the whole flow of the LP.
This guy was the first time I had seen that running order: http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com ... bragg.html. It blew my mind...along with Mick's more atmospheric mixes, this running order maximizes the creepy factor. I turned off the lights, lit a j, and listened in a haze that very night. The album presented this way is very interesting statement and I want to live inside it.
I like the cut of your jib and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
It's £50 00 a month but you do get one of Kory's special doobies as an introductory offer.
"NIBBLED TO DEATH BY AN OKAPI"

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27597
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Heston » 22 Nov 2017, 4:33pm

white man wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 1:33pm
aza wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 12:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 6:31am
Kory wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 11:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 10:09pm


Sorry if I mislead anyone here. I wrongly assumed it came direct from MJ.

It's such a fascinating document. I love how it shows Micks vision of that time. Although the band chose the Glyn Johns route to cut down the length for a more commercial record. Micks RPfFB is a very commercial sounding record to my ears and I have no doubt to it's hit potential.
I wonder how different (if at all), the band's legacy would be if Mick's version had come out. LC as a double, S! as a triple, then another double with RP. It would have been a bold move, and I wonder if the band would now be lauded as one of the more ambitious bands of all time. Not that LC and S! don't already help with that legacy.
That's pretty much as I see it Kory. But then you know look at B.A.D. and consider how groundbreaking that first album was and how loads of bands in it's wake were doing the rock/dance/samples crossover thing. I don't hear a great deal of respect going to Mick for that.

The Clash in my opinion only really moved forward with their sound largely due to mick. Paul was mostly reggae, Joe was rockabilly/R&B and Mick was dance/technology. Remember Mick was known as rock 'n' roll Mick and then the band teased him and called him whack attack that is a big leap between the two. But Mick was much smarter than that and he had the vision to see where rock was heading. Never afraid of moving forward "now this sound is brave and wants to be free" and completely shedding that stupid punk rock straightjacket.
thats so right Marky, esp that last sentence. I was one of the fools screaming at Mick to play "Stay Free" at those first shows at The World and was totally disgusted when he played "1999".. it took me too long to realize how punk he/it all truly was. I love CR because it feels like every influence is unified rather than going from genre to genre, but Rat Patrol is clearly superior- bold n boundary pushing in the way only Clash can do. Also,maybe they would have gone on further if it had came out. I write all this with Death Is A Star pro'll being a favorite track, so take it or leave it.. :)
Think there was a few of us guilty of that :lol:
Not me, I was into the new vibe straight away.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8690
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Kory » 22 Nov 2017, 4:53pm

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:26pm
Kory wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:17pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 3:28pm
Yes, but to be honest, C.K. was also disappointed in the sound of RPFFB. His idea of Mongrel Rock, exemplified by the Lyceum gigs of October 1981, was noisier and more aggressive sounding than the studio version.
That's true, I forgot about his Car Jamming stance. I guess that's why I like the "narco funk" tag a little better, in that case.
The fact that both you and CK coined terms to define the sounds speaks volumes to the ingenuity of the music.
It wasn't me, it was the guy from the link at the very beginning of this thread. I just like his description a lot.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 37548
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Marky Dread » 22 Nov 2017, 5:10pm

Kory wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:26pm
Kory wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:17pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 3:28pm
Yes, but to be honest, C.K. was also disappointed in the sound of RPFFB. His idea of Mongrel Rock, exemplified by the Lyceum gigs of October 1981, was noisier and more aggressive sounding than the studio version.
That's true, I forgot about his Car Jamming stance. I guess that's why I like the "narco funk" tag a little better, in that case.
The fact that both you and CK coined terms to define the sounds speaks volumes to the ingenuity of the music.
It wasn't me, it was the guy from the link at the very beginning of this thread. I just like his description a lot.
OK so you're not the long time jerk afterall. I never meant to add to all this cool confusion. Please excuse me as it's my first night back from a load on.
"NIBBLED TO DEATH BY AN OKAPI"

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8690
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Kory » 28 Nov 2017, 5:05pm

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:32pm
Heston wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:29pm
Kory wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 3:00pm
WestwayKid wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 2:27pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 9:33pm
Whatever the debate, this is the running order Mick had cut to acetates at Electric Lady for RPFFB. There is also a photo of the four sided sequence from Electric Lady that was posted here sometime back, maybe by C.K.

SIDE 1
Straight to Hell
Know Your Rights
Rock the Casbah
Red Angel Dragnet

SIDE 2
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn

SIDE 3
Car Jamming
The Fulham Connection II
Atom Tan
First Night Back in London

SIDE 4
Inoculated City
Death is a Star
Cool Confusion
Idle in Kangaroo Court W1
This would have made a fascinating album and looking at this track listing - seeing songs in different places - makes me rethink the whole flow of the LP.
This guy was the first time I had seen that running order: http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com ... bragg.html. It blew my mind...along with Mick's more atmospheric mixes, this running order maximizes the creepy factor. I turned off the lights, lit a j, and listened in a haze that very night. The album presented this way is very interesting statement and I want to live inside it.
I like the cut of your jib and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
It's £50 00 a month but you do get one of Kory's special doobies as an introductory offer.
I offer a substantial discount for IMCTers. Plus a free pizza-doob for first-time subscribers.

I was thinking about Mick's forward-thinking while in the shower yesterday and it dawned on me that Mick showed great restraint in not wanting to do the vocals for any of their rap songs, given that he was the one that was most interested in the style. I wonder if he was aware that he wouldn't have been forceful enough, or if he was just shy.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Heston
User avatar
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll
Posts: 27597
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 4:07pm
Location: North of Watford Junction
Contact:

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Heston » 28 Nov 2017, 5:13pm

Kory wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 5:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:32pm
Heston wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:29pm
Kory wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 3:00pm
WestwayKid wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 2:27pm


This would have made a fascinating album and looking at this track listing - seeing songs in different places - makes me rethink the whole flow of the LP.
This guy was the first time I had seen that running order: http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com ... bragg.html. It blew my mind...along with Mick's more atmospheric mixes, this running order maximizes the creepy factor. I turned off the lights, lit a j, and listened in a haze that very night. The album presented this way is very interesting statement and I want to live inside it.
I like the cut of your jib and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
It's £50 00 a month but you do get one of Kory's special doobies as an introductory offer.
I offer a substantial discount for IMCTers. Plus a free pizza-doob for first-time subscribers.

I was thinking about Mick's forward-thinking while in the shower yesterday and it dawned on me that Mick showed great restraint in not wanting to do the vocals for any of their rap songs, given that he was the one that was most interested in the style. I wonder if he was aware that he wouldn't have been forceful enough, or if he was just shy.
He did well enough on James Brown and Around the Girl in 80 Ways for BAD.
I just polished off some Low Country shrimp & grits and a mess of collards. That's a hell of a strain on the arm.

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 37548
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Marky Dread » 28 Nov 2017, 5:27pm

Heston wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 5:13pm
Kory wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 5:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:32pm
Heston wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:29pm
Kory wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 3:00pm


This guy was the first time I had seen that running order: http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com ... bragg.html. It blew my mind...along with Mick's more atmospheric mixes, this running order maximizes the creepy factor. I turned off the lights, lit a j, and listened in a haze that very night. The album presented this way is very interesting statement and I want to live inside it.
I like the cut of your jib and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
It's £50 00 a month but you do get one of Kory's special doobies as an introductory offer.
I offer a substantial discount for IMCTers. Plus a free pizza-doob for first-time subscribers.

I was thinking about Mick's forward-thinking while in the shower yesterday and it dawned on me that Mick showed great restraint in not wanting to do the vocals for any of their rap songs, given that he was the one that was most interested in the style. I wonder if he was aware that he wouldn't have been forceful enough, or if he was just shy.
He did well enough on James Brown and Around the Girl in 80 Ways for BAD.
All true but then Mick was Joe in BAD.
"NIBBLED TO DEATH BY AN OKAPI"

Silent Majority
User avatar
Singer-Songwriter Nancy
Posts: 13510
Joined: 10 Nov 2008, 8:28pm
Location: A republic of mind
Contact:

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Silent Majority » 29 Nov 2017, 1:35am

Part II of The Bottom Line has Mick's best rapping, imo
Not teargas nor baton charge
That stops you taking the city


www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 37548
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Marky Dread » 29 Nov 2017, 7:03am

Silent Majority wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 1:35am
Part II of The Bottom Line has Mick's best rapping, imo
That extended 12" is awesome and what a bloody great song.
"NIBBLED TO DEATH BY AN OKAPI"

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 4708
Joined: 19 Feb 2009, 1:10pm

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by muppet hi fi » 30 Nov 2017, 10:11pm

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 7:03am
Silent Majority wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 1:35am
Part II of The Bottom Line has Mick's best rapping, imo
That extended 12" is awesome and what a bloody great song.
Yep. The album version only tells half the story. Why the hell didn't they release the 12" on the 2-disc re-release? The Rick Rubin re-mix is cool and all, but the original full length is such a stone classic.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Flex
User avatar
Mechano-Man of the Future
Posts: 25942
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:50pm
Location: The Information Superhighway!
Contact:

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Flex » 26 Jan 2018, 1:14pm

Jump Up Records is selling a bootleg of Rat Patrol: http://www.jumpuprecords.com/boring2/

Anyone have any info on the pressing? I'm assuming it's sourced from the mixes circulated on this site, but I'd be happy to hear otherwise and snatch up a copy.
"I live inside my own heart, Matt Damon." - Prince

Sous les pavés, la plage.

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
User avatar
Messiah of the Milk Bar
Posts: 37548
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 11:26am

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Marky Dread » 27 Jan 2018, 4:11pm

Flex wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 1:14pm
Jump Up Records is selling a bootleg of Rat Patrol: http://www.jumpuprecords.com/boring2/

Anyone have any info on the pressing? I'm assuming it's sourced from the mixes circulated on this site, but I'd be happy to hear otherwise and snatch up a copy.
I don't have that boot mate but that one has been doing the rounds for a couple of years now. The artwork with the GEER era pic is awful.
"NIBBLED TO DEATH BY AN OKAPI"

Red Angel
User avatar
Dirty Punk
Posts: 93
Joined: 26 Sep 2013, 11:40am

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Red Angel » 22 Feb 2018, 3:37pm

My personal opinion is that during the last years I have listened to many versions of Rat Patrol and in the end I have come to the conclusion that the best version of Rat Patrol is.... Combat Rock, more balanced and with the right length.
This is why I like very much the alternative "Another Combat Rock" boot that in the first twelve tracks is a replica of CR with the mixes of Mick Jones (Obviously the publication of all outtakes would be welcome!)

http://punkygibbon.co.uk/bands/c/clash_ ... ombat.html
The Future is Badly Written and it is not Clear

Kory
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 8690
Joined: 17 Jun 2008, 1:42pm
Location: In the Discosphere

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Kory » 22 Feb 2018, 11:58pm

Red Angel wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 3:37pm
My personal opinion is that during the last years I have listened to many versions of Rat Patrol and in the end I have come to the conclusion that the best version of Rat Patrol is.... Combat Rock, more balanced and with the right length.
This is why I like very much the alternative "Another Combat Rock" boot that in the first twelve tracks is a replica of CR with the mixes of Mick Jones (Obviously the publication of all outtakes would be welcome!)

http://punkygibbon.co.uk/bands/c/clash_ ... ombat.html
How's the sound quality? It looks like the link to the download is broken.
Inder:
Absolutely. Here's another collection of words:

Table salt (spoon hinge)
Octopus (Ukraine)
St. Petersburg (arms)
Ginger beer (cauliflower)
Pat Sajak (PSak)
Lamp post (self evident)
Florida Timeshare (ditto)
Heraclitus (EMI)
Developers (Developers Developers)
Boogie With Your Children

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ohsoso and 7 guests