Rat Patrol reconstruction

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by laxman »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
I really dig the RP mix of STH because the bass is so loud. If we could get better sounding KYR and Car Jamming, it might be enough. Those are the worst-sounding of the boots we have.
I'm sure you've heard Marky's remasters/mixes of the Rat Patrol/CR sessions. His bass boosts are always tastefully done (whether official release or boots) including the various versions of STH, which, yeah - the bass was a bit thin and brittle on the CR version.

The instrumental version of KYR is revealing - a different instrumental take, Topper sounds more involved (mostly his high hat work, but...). And have you heard Marky's remix of Red Angel Dragnet with DeNiro's voice mixed in , in lieu of Cosmo's? Much more effective and the whole mix is stellar.
I have, and they're great. But I'll always prefer a true release of Mick's mix to Marky's remaster, and I'm sure he'd agree. The KYR, Car Jamming, and Atom Tan takes that we have now are like 36th generation masters. Yikes! I'd even be happy with masters of those tracks that are as clear as the others.
Oh, of course. And I'm guessing a pristine tape exists, as I seem to remember TeddyB saying he heard it (Gerry's copy I think) but didn't feel right about asking for a dub. And now Gerry's gone, but you'd assume Mick has it. Buried in his garden or where ever he keeps his planet-saving, unheard gems. :mad:
Gerb's copy, actually. Of course Mick has it. They used several of the tracks on Sound System. The reason they haven't released a complete Rat Patrol is because the band didn't approve it at the time, and the idea of releasing it was never broached before Joe passed away. It's one thing to release some early mixes on a compilation and it's another to release a contentious, alternate album. Maybe something will persuade Paul and Mick to change their minds, but that's where it sits as of now.
But they were called the Clash. isn't that exactly what they should do? :)

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
I really dig the RP mix of STH because the bass is so loud. If we could get better sounding KYR and Car Jamming, it might be enough. Those are the worst-sounding of the boots we have.
I'm sure you've heard Marky's remasters/mixes of the Rat Patrol/CR sessions. His bass boosts are always tastefully done (whether official release or boots) including the various versions of STH, which, yeah - the bass was a bit thin and brittle on the CR version.

The instrumental version of KYR is revealing - a different instrumental take, Topper sounds more involved (mostly his high hat work, but...). And have you heard Marky's remix of Red Angel Dragnet with DeNiro's voice mixed in , in lieu of Cosmo's? Much more effective and the whole mix is stellar.
I have, and they're great. But I'll always prefer a true release of Mick's mix to Marky's remaster, and I'm sure he'd agree. The KYR, Car Jamming, and Atom Tan takes that we have now are like 36th generation masters. Yikes! I'd even be happy with masters of those tracks that are as clear as the others.
Oh, of course. And I'm guessing a pristine tape exists, as I seem to remember TeddyB saying he heard it (Gerry's copy I think) but didn't feel right about asking for a dub. And now Gerry's gone, but you'd assume Mick has it. Buried in his garden or where ever he keeps his planet-saving, unheard gems. :mad:
Gerb's copy, actually. Of course Mick has it. They used several of the tracks on Sound System. The reason they haven't released a complete Rat Patrol is because the band didn't approve it at the time, and the idea of releasing it was never broached before Joe passed away. It's one thing to release some early mixes on a compilation and it's another to release a contentious, alternate album. Maybe something will persuade Paul and Mick to change their minds, but that's where it sits as of now.
Feet and fire in close proximity?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

101Walterton wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote: I'm sure you've heard Marky's remasters/mixes of the Rat Patrol/CR sessions. His bass boosts are always tastefully done (whether official release or boots) including the various versions of STH, which, yeah - the bass was a bit thin and brittle on the CR version.

Feet and fire in close proximity?
Paul should change his mind because the bass is more prominent on those mixes.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

If the album is already out there a pristine copy is hardly gonna change the legacy. Leak it or release it is my wish.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Heston wrote:If the album is already out there a pristine copy is hardly gonna change the legacy. Leak it or release it is my wish.
Indeed, I don't need an official release, just one that sounds fresh from the studio rather than a 20th generation cassette. I am grateful for what we have, but there's something damn magical about that full original mix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
Heston wrote:If the album is already out there a pristine copy is hardly gonna change the legacy. Leak it or release it is my wish.
Indeed, I don't need an official release, just one that sounds fresh from the studio rather than a 20th generation cassette. I am grateful for what we have, but there's something damn magical about that full original mix.
Fully agreed. The only reason I could see any objection to it being leaked would be a planned future official release. The fact Mick said Sound System was the Clash's full stop makes me think that's never gonna happen. So we sit in limbo...
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The tape orginal I have a copy of has some faults and although it's a good listen with better sound than what's already available it still requires some work. There is a different mix of OBF with some extra vocals by Ellen. If it could be remastered as good as Sean Flynn on the SS box then it would be amazing. It is far better than Combat Rock in my opinion and deserves a wider audience. I personally would hold your breath for a release though. As TeddyB has stated it wasn't something the band agreed upon originally and Joe is not here to give his blessing. Plus it's already out there in one form or another.

The only thing I'll add is that Mick was right all along.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
The tape orginal I have a copy of has some faults and although it's a good listen with better sound than what's already available it still requires some work. There is a different mix of OBF with some extra vocals by Ellen. If it could be remastered as good as Sean Flynn on the SS box then it would be amazing. It is far better than Combat Rock in my opinion and deserves a wider audience. I personally would hold your breath for a release though. As TeddyB has stated it wasn't something the band agreed upon originally and Joe is not here to give his blessing. Plus it's already out there in one form or another.

Just to clarify, a Mick-authorized leak is what I was hoping for, I wouldn't want anyone to distribute anything they didn't have permission to.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Just to clarify, a Mick-authorized leak is what I was hoping for, I wouldn't want anyone to distribute anything they didn't have permission to.
Oh for sure mate. I would really love a fully authourised officially sanctioned release. It would be great for a two or three CD edition of CR/Rat Patrol/mixes etc.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

25 Nov 2016, 5:43pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Kory wrote:

Maybe one of the reasons I love this band so much. As much as I'd love to hear Mick's version of Rat Patrol as an official release - I respect the decision to hold it back for the reasons you stated. I'm sure Mick could have done a McCartney/Let It Be...Naked kind of deal, but it speaks volumes about Mick that he hasn't done that. My gut says that if Joe were still around he would have given his blessing for a deluxe edition of Combat Rock that featured Mick's alternate version of the album. I do hope hat one day Mick and Paul decide to give it a release - but if they never do - I won't hold it against them.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

They should release the remaining tracks on other compilations. Then we can just piece it together ourselves, but there won't be the stigma of releasing the "Original Rat Patrol Album" or whatever.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 1:30pm
They should release the remaining tracks on other compilations. Then we can just piece it together ourselves, but there won't be the stigma of releasing the "Original Rat Patrol Album" or whatever.
I think someone should release you on other compilations then we can piece you back together you crazy man. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 3:17pm
Kory wrote:
I think someone should release you on other compilations then we can piece you back together you crazy man. ;)
Hold my feet to the fire!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 3:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
No, no, no! that's going back to stinkfoot in hollywood. :mrgreen:

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 3:26pm
Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 3:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
No, no, no! that's going back to stinkfoot in hollywood. :mrgreen:
Agh! Where did that title come from, anyway?