Rat Patrol reconstruction

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 3:29pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 3:26pm
Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 3:21pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 3:17pm
Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 1:30pm
They should release the remaining tracks on other compilations. Then we can just piece it together ourselves, but there won't be the stigma of releasing the "Original Rat Patrol Album" or whatever.
I think someone should release you on other compilations then we can piece you back together you crazy man. ;)
Hold my feet to the fire!
No, no, no! that's going back to stinkfoot in hollywood. :mrgreen:
Agh! Where did that title come from, anyway?
I don't know the real reason but as Wolt suggested earlier my guess the compiler was a Zappa fan.

Kind of like these dirty punks come to town to stink up Hollywood.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

From BMC, might explain it;

"The opposite Balcony section was completely sealed off for a private party. Later that summer I would read in Rolling Stone magazine that Bob Dylan had been the private party! The Clash were great although you could see Mick had problems at times getting the desired feedback out of his guitar. Someone threw a shoe at Joe and hit him square in the face! He stopped the show and asked "Who threw that? Why don't you come up here and get it then? Aye? I didn't think so you fucking pussy!" then he ripped into the next song. It was a highlight! "

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 4:03pm

"The opposite Balcony section was completely sealed off for a private party. Later that summer I would read in Rolling Stone magazine that Bob Dylan had been the private party! The Clash were great although you could see Mick had problems at times getting the desired feedback out of his guitar. Someone threw a shoe at Joe and hit him square in the face! He stopped the show and asked "Who threw that? Why don't you come up here and get it then? Aye? I didn't think so you fucking pussy!" then he ripped into the next song. It was a highlight! "
Cheers mate yep that seems to be it. I'm sure I read that a long time ago and completely forgot about it. Still the "stinkfoot" thing has to be a Zappa reference regarding that shoe. I wonder what it would've been called if someone had thrown a toilet seat at Joe. "The Bogs of Brixton"

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 4:38pm
laxman wrote:

Cheers mate yep that seems to be it. I'm sure I read that a long time ago and completely forgot about it. Still the "stinkfoot" thing has to be a Zappa reference regarding that shoe. I wonder what it would've been called if someone had thrown a toilet seat at Joe. "The Bogs of Brixton"
If it had been an outdoor show then maybe WC Fields?

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 4:46pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 4:38pm
laxman wrote:

If it had been an outdoor show then maybe WC Fields?
:mrgreen:

Clash City Crappers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Fascinating. I know JennyB will sympathize with me that I don't like thinking about stinky feet.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 5:08pm
Fascinating. I know JennyB will sympathize with me that I don't like thinking about stinky feet.
Thanks that reminded me it's bathtime.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 5:10pm
Kory wrote:
Seething Hatred.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 5:26pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Seething Hatred.
...the only thing we have today. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 5:36pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Seething Hatred.
It is the currency

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 5:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 5:36pm
Kory wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Kory wrote:
Seething Hatred.
It is the currency
I'm not dreaming of a holiday

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Full disclosure: I do now have a copy of Rat Patrol from a cassette that was run off at Electric Lady in January of ‘82, before they left on tour of the Far East, but it’s not my work to make available, and I actually don’t believe Mick feels it’s his decision to let loose it into the wild (not that I’ve ever asked him). Sorry.

As we know, after shade was thrown at Mick’s mix, they continued to work in studios in Japan and Australia. This was the way things sat before they left New York:

Straight to Hell 6:50 (with fade-in)
Know Your Rights 5:02 (with alternate vocals)
Rock the Casbah 3.49 (with congas intro)
Red Angel Dragnet 5:09
Should I Stay or Should I Go? 3:07 (with original vocals, including the Spanish backgrounds)
Ghetto Defendant 6:13
Atom Tan 2:42
Sean Flynn 7:23
Car Jamming 3:51
Overpowered by Funk 6:03
The Fulham Connection II 3:47
First Night Back in London 2:59
Inoculated City 4:26
Cool Confusion 3:12
Idle in Kangaroo Court W1 5:04
Death is a Star 3:13

Meanwhile, the following have been released officially as is on this tape: Sean Flynn (7:23), Idle in Kangaroo Court, Fulham Connection 2, Cool Confusion (3:12 version), First Night Back in London.

The following have been released officially in identical or virtually identical versions: Straight to Hell (6:50 with fade-in), Rock the Casbah (single version, minus the congas intro).

All of the remaining songs were edited and remixed by Glyn Johns for Combat Rock, including the album version of Rock the Casbah. I don’t know when the two new lead vocals were recorded. C.K. has suggested elsewhere that Joe recorded extra rhythm guitar on some tracks, but I don’t know if that’s true, or if some were merely lifted in the final mixes.

I know the track list for Rat Patrol from Electric Lady does not include Overpowered by Funk, but it is on this tape. Perhaps Mick didn’t intend to include it on the album.
Last edited by TeddyB Not Logged In on 17 Nov 2017, 9:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

So is the same tape that Glyn Johns would've used as the template for what became Combat Rock? I'm curious to know if he used this or if the band cut further demos. Apart from the obvious new vocal takes on the final CR mixes.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 7:37pm
So is the same tape that Glyn Johns would've used as the template for what became Combat Rock? I'm curious to know if he used this or if the band cut further demos. Apart from the obvious new vocal takes on the final CR mixes.
I don’t know the answer to that... And I ain’t asking. :!:

I personally don’t hear a thing on CR that’s not on this tape other than the vocals on those two songs. There are elements that are discarded or dismissed (most obviously the saxophone on SISOSIG). That’s the story Mick always tells, that Glyn would ask him if he could pull something out, and he would always petulantly say go ahead. There is also some sort of gate the drums (mainly the snare) are put through to beef up (rock up?) the sound. We’re told the band worked on the record in the Far East, and there is footage of them in the studio, but that could have been efforts at mixing and editing.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 9:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
17 Nov 2017, 7:37pm
I don’t know the answer to that... And I ain’t asking. :!:

I personally don’t hear a thing on CR that’s not on this tape other than the vocals on those two songs. There are elements that are discarded or dismissed (most obviously the saxophone on SISOSIG). That’s the story Mick always tells, that Glyn would ask him if he could pull something out, and he would always petulantly say go ahead. There is also some sort of gate the drums (mainly the snare) are put through to beef up (rock up?) the sound. We’re told the band worked on the record in the Far East, and there is footage of them in the studio, but that could have been efforts at mixing and editing.
I can buy into all of that. I'm curious why CK thinks that Joe added more guitar. I don't hear that in the mix unless his rhythm was simply brought up in the final mix. When you compare this tape and CR there is so little really that Glyn Johns did regarding the overall sound. It seem he just got out the scissors. The intro to RtC is superfluous but no reason it couldn't be left on the album take and omitted for the single release at least giving the fan a little bit extra to hear. Edits and nixing Mick's ideas seem to be all at play here and unjustly so for me. A compromise between album length tracks and single edits and mixes was all that was ever needed.

The fact that no one here has heard this tape to compare what's out there in boot form is a shame as I expect when you hear these tracks in a more pristeen edition it makes you realise just how inventive it all really is.
Last edited by Marky Dread on 17 Nov 2017, 9:56pm, edited 2 times in total.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia