Rat Patrol reconstruction

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Rat Patrol reconstruction

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 3:00pm
WestwayKid wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 2:27pm
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 9:33pm
Whatever the debate, this is the running order Mick had cut to acetates at Electric Lady for RPFFB. There is also a photo of the four sided sequence from Electric Lady that was posted here sometime back, maybe by C.K.

SIDE 1
Straight to Hell
Know Your Rights
Rock the Casbah
Red Angel Dragnet

SIDE 2
Should I Stay or Should I Go?
Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn

SIDE 3
Car Jamming
The Fulham Connection II
Atom Tan
First Night Back in London

SIDE 4
Inoculated City
Death is a Star
Cool Confusion
Idle in Kangaroo Court W1
This would have made a fascinating album and looking at this track listing - seeing songs in different places - makes me rethink the whole flow of the LP.
This guy was the first time I had seen that running order: http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com ... bragg.html. It blew my mind...along with Mick's more atmospheric mixes, this running order maximizes the creepy factor. I turned off the lights, lit a j, and listened in a haze that very night. The album presented this way is very interesting statement and I want to live inside it.
I like the cut of your jib and wish to subscribe to your newsletter.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:29pm
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Whatever the debate, this is the running order Mick had cut to acetates at Electric Lady for RPFFB. There is also a photo of the four sided sequence from Electric Lady that was posted here sometime back, maybe by C.K.

SIDE 1
Straight to Hell
Know Your Rights
Rock the Casbah
Red Angel Dragnet

SIDE 2
Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn

SIDE 3
Car Jamming
The Fulham Connection II
Atom Tan

SIDE 4
Inoculated City
Death is a Star
Cool Confusion
This would have made a fascinating album and looking at this track listing - seeing songs in different places - makes me rethink the whole flow of the LP.
This guy was the first time I had seen that running order: http://albumsthatneverwere.blogspot.com ... bragg.html. It blew my mind...along with Mick's more atmospheric mixes, this running order maximizes the creepy factor. I turned off the lights, lit a j, and listened in a haze that very night. The album presented this way is very interesting statement and I want to live inside it.
It's £50 00 a month but you do get one of Kory's special doobies as an introductory offer.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 1:33pm
aza wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 12:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 6:31am
Kory wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 11:18pm
Marky Dread wrote:
21 Nov 2017, 10:09pm

Sorry if I mislead anyone here. I wrongly assumed it came direct from MJ.

It's such a fascinating document. I love how it shows Micks vision of that time. Although the band chose the Glyn Johns route to cut down the length for a more commercial record. Micks RPfFB is a very commercial sounding record to my ears and I have no doubt to it's hit potential.
I wonder how different (if at all), the band's legacy would be if Mick's version had come out. LC as a double, S! as a triple, then another double with RP. It would have been a bold move, and I wonder if the band would now be lauded as one of the more ambitious bands of all time. Not that LC and S! don't already help with that legacy.
That's pretty much as I see it Kory. But then you know look at B.A.D. and consider how groundbreaking that first album was and how loads of bands in it's wake were doing the rock/dance/samples crossover thing. I don't hear a great deal of respect going to Mick for that.

The Clash in my opinion only really moved forward with their sound largely due to mick. Paul was mostly reggae, Joe was rockabilly/R&B and Mick was dance/technology. Remember Mick was known as rock 'n' roll Mick and then the band teased him and called him whack attack that is a big leap between the two. But Mick was much smarter than that and he had the vision to see where rock was heading. Never afraid of moving forward "now this sound is brave and wants to be free" and completely shedding that stupid punk rock straightjacket.
thats so right Marky, esp that last sentence. I was one of the fools screaming at Mick to play "Stay Free" at those first shows at The World and was totally disgusted when he played "1999".. it took me too long to realize how punk he/it all truly was. I love CR because it feels like every influence is unified rather than going from genre to genre, but Rat Patrol is clearly superior- bold n boundary pushing in the way only Clash can do. Also,maybe they would have gone on further if it had came out. I write all this with Death Is A Star pro'll being a favorite track, so take it or leave it.. :)
Think there was a few of us guilty of that :lol:
Not me, I was into the new vibe straight away.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:26pm
Kory wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:17pm
22 Nov 2017, 3:28pm
Yes, but to be honest, C.K. was also disappointed in the sound of RPFFB. His idea of Mongrel Rock, exemplified by the Lyceum gigs of October 1981, was noisier and more aggressive sounding than the studio version.
That's true, I forgot about his Car Jamming stance. I guess that's why I like the "narco funk" tag a little better, in that case.
The fact that both you and CK coined terms to define the sounds speaks volumes to the ingenuity of the music.
It wasn't me, it was the guy from the link at the very beginning of this thread. I just like his description a lot.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:26pm
Kory wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:17pm
22 Nov 2017, 3:28pm
Yes, but to be honest, C.K. was also disappointed in the sound of RPFFB. His idea of Mongrel Rock, exemplified by the Lyceum gigs of October 1981, was noisier and more aggressive sounding than the studio version.
That's true, I forgot about his Car Jamming stance. I guess that's why I like the "narco funk" tag a little better, in that case.
The fact that both you and CK coined terms to define the sounds speaks volumes to the ingenuity of the music.
It wasn't me, it was the guy from the link at the very beginning of this thread. I just like his description a lot.
OK so you're not the long time jerk afterall. I never meant to add to all this cool confusion. Please excuse me as it's my first night back from a load on.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
22 Nov 2017, 4:32pm
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

SIDE 1
Straight to Hell
Know Your Rights
Rock the Casbah
Red Angel Dragnet

SIDE 2
Ghetto Defendant
Sean Flynn

SIDE 3
Car Jamming
The Fulham Connection II
Atom Tan

SIDE 4
Inoculated City
Death is a Star
Cool Confusion
It's £50 00 a month but you do get one of Kory's special doobies as an introductory offer.
I offer a substantial discount for IMCTers. Plus a free pizza-doob for first-time subscribers.

I was thinking about Mick's forward-thinking while in the shower yesterday and it dawned on me that Mick showed great restraint in not wanting to do the vocals for any of their rap songs, given that he was the one that was most interested in the style. I wonder if he was aware that he wouldn't have been forceful enough, or if he was just shy.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Kory wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 5:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

I offer a substantial discount for IMCTers. Plus a free pizza-doob for first-time subscribers.

I was thinking about Mick's forward-thinking while in the shower yesterday and it dawned on me that Mick showed great restraint in not wanting to do the vocals for any of their rap songs, given that he was the one that was most interested in the style. I wonder if he was aware that he wouldn't have been forceful enough, or if he was just shy.
He did well enough on James Brown and Around the Girl in 80 Ways for BAD.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 5:13pm
Kory wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 5:05pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Heston wrote:
Kory wrote:

He did well enough on James Brown and Around the Girl in 80 Ways for BAD.
All true but then Mick was Joe in BAD.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Part II of The Bottom Line has Mick's best rapping, imo
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Silent Majority wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 1:35am
That extended 12" is awesome and what a bloody great song.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 7:03am
Silent Majority wrote:
29 Nov 2017, 1:35am
That extended 12" is awesome and what a bloody great song.
Yep. The album version only tells half the story. Why the hell didn't they release the 12" on the 2-disc re-release? The Rick Rubin re-mix is cool and all, but the original full length is such a stone classic.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Jump Up Records is selling a bootleg of Rat Patrol: http://www.jumpuprecords.com/boring2/

Anyone have any info on the pressing? I'm assuming it's sourced from the mixes circulated on this site, but I'd be happy to hear otherwise and snatch up a copy.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 1:14pm
Jump Up Records is selling a bootleg of Rat Patrol: http://www.jumpuprecords.com/boring2/

Anyone have any info on the pressing? I'm assuming it's sourced from the mixes circulated on this site, but I'd be happy to hear otherwise and snatch up a copy.
I don't have that boot mate but that one has been doing the rounds for a couple of years now. The artwork with the GEER era pic is awful.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Red Angel
Junco Partner

Post by Red Angel »

My personal opinion is that during the last years I have listened to many versions of Rat Patrol and in the end I have come to the conclusion that the best version of Rat Patrol is.... Combat Rock, more balanced and with the right length.
This is why I like very much the alternative "Another Combat Rock" boot that in the first twelve tracks is a replica of CR with the mixes of Mick Jones (Obviously the publication of all outtakes would be welcome!)

http://punkygibbon.co.uk/bands/c/clash_ ... ombat.html
Music is the only thing that matters

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Red Angel wrote:
22 Feb 2018, 3:37pm
My personal opinion is that during the last years I have listened to many versions of Rat Patrol and in the end I have come to the conclusion that the best version of Rat Patrol is.... Combat Rock, more balanced and with the right length.
This is why I like very much the alternative "Another Combat Rock" boot that in the first twelve tracks is a replica of CR with the mixes of Mick Jones (Obviously the publication of all outtakes would be welcome!)

http://punkygibbon.co.uk/bands/c/clash_ ... ombat.html
How's the sound quality? It looks like the link to the download is broken.