Sandinista! Which format?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!

Which format should it have been released as?

Triple
53%
Double
28%
Single
19%
EP
No votes

Total votes: 47

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Re: Sandinista! Which format?

Post by muppet hi fi »

Heston wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 7:39pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 7:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 7:16pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 7:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 5:38pm

It is good, however I've played this album so many times that when I'm expecting the next track to be a certain track it just feels so odd. And yes I miss Hitsville UK.
Agree. But I listened to your remaster/re-imagining of 'Sandinista!' the other night and was blown away by the flow of the thing. (thank you again for your work, mate).

But, yeah, I've known plenty of folk who've so fully absorbed an album that any deviation from the original tracking order feels odd, and especially on an album such as 'Sandinista!', where it's not all "proper" songs, but this lengthy investigation into pure sound, rhythm, texture, and absorption into ideas.
I think that is exactly it mate. It's a brave record by it's sheer tenacity to knock out a triple 36 track album. That's more songs than The Jam released over their last three albums.
I think Weller is too much of a formal traditionalist (hey, nothing wrong with that) to have attempted something like 'Sandinista!', or even 'London Calling' (never mind 'Combat Rock'/'Rat Patrol'). Tracks like "Music for the Last Couple" or "Trans-Global Express" are brilliant (I think), but I reckon he was too much of a control freak to let Bruce and Rick really get out of their heads and Paul's comfort zone to attempt something as audacious and expansive as the vibe the Clash were locked into after '79.
The Clash and Jam went down really different paths but like you say, both are totally viable ways of of working. Weller was probably too angry at the time to make a Sandinista or Combat Rock. That's why I love the best parts of The Gift, he is so fucking pissed off. I'd put "Running On the Spot" up there as one of my favourite lyrics of all time by anyone.
Yep. But why was Weller so angry at the end? He only had the 2nd best band in the country and was charting and selling out gigs...

And yeah, "Running On the Spot" is genius - heartbreaking but courageous, super catchy, rocks like mad, and universal. Dare I say, ahem, Springsteen-ian.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 7:47pm
Yep. But why was Weller so angry at the end? He only had the 2nd best band in the country and was charting and selling out gigs...
Not sure, but it was great that he was still railing against the powers that be. He eventually got happy and formed the Style Council, I know which I prefer. ;)
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 7:39pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 7:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 7:16pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 7:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 5:38pm

It is good, however I've played this album so many times that when I'm expecting the next track to be a certain track it just feels so odd. And yes I miss Hitsville UK.
Agree. But I listened to your remaster/re-imagining of 'Sandinista!' the other night and was blown away by the flow of the thing. (thank you again for your work, mate).

But, yeah, I've known plenty of folk who've so fully absorbed an album that any deviation from the original tracking order feels odd, and especially on an album such as 'Sandinista!', where it's not all "proper" songs, but this lengthy investigation into pure sound, rhythm, texture, and absorption into ideas.
I think that is exactly it mate. It's a brave record by it's sheer tenacity to knock out a triple 36 track album. That's more songs than The Jam released over their last three albums.
I think Weller is too much of a formal traditionalist (hey, nothing wrong with that) to have attempted something like 'Sandinista!', or even 'London Calling' (never mind 'Combat Rock'/'Rat Patrol'). Tracks like "Music for the Last Couple" or "Trans-Global Express" are brilliant (I think), but I reckon he was too much of a control freak to let Bruce and Rick really get out of their heads and Paul's comfort zone to attempt something as audacious and expansive as the vibe the Clash were locked into after '79.
The Clash and Jam went down really different paths but like you say, both are totally viable ways of of working. Weller was probably too angry at the time to make a Sandinista or Combat Rock. That's why I love the best parts of The Gift, he is so fucking pissed off. I'd put "Running On the Spot" up there as one of my favourite lyrics of all time by anyone.
Oh yeah those Jam albums are brilliant but as this thread has proven you can easily get at least two great 10 track albums out of Sandinista! So it shows what a bold move it was.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Weller's angry alright but not enough to have the vocals prominent on Trans Global Express, for years I had no idea what he was going on about.

Heston

Post by Heston »

coffeepotman wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 9:08am
Weller's angry alright but not enough to have the vocals prominent on Trans Global Express, for years I had no idea what he was going on about.
Yeah a strange one that. Probably b side material for me.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Heston wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 9:32am
coffeepotman wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 9:08am
Yeah a strange one that. Probably b side material for me.
Interesting rhythm. Not much else.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Naw, I think it's pretty killer! I've always liked it even before I knew what the words were and then I liked it even more. I think it fits in perfectly on The Gift. I wish there were a dub remix, there's a lot that can be done there

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
26 Jan 2018, 12:34pm
Naw, I think it's pretty killer! I've always liked it even before I knew what the words were and then I liked it even more. I think it fits in perfectly on The Gift. I wish there were a dub remix, there's a lot that can be done there
I love the bub bub bub bub bub bub bub bar part.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Heston wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 7:41pm
msza2 wrote:
21 Jul 2015, 9:08pm
laxman wrote: That's a decent bonus LP!
Yeah, MSZA2 WORLD is a wild place. Bonus LPs are abundant, people throw ducks at balloons, and nothing is as it seems. I actually added a couple tracks to the Bonus LP. Now I've got my S! double.

SAND!
A1: Magnificent Seven
A2: The Leader
A3: Corner Soul
A4: Somebody Got Murdered
A5: One More Time
B1: Up in Heaven
B2: Kingston Advice
B3: Washington Bullets
B4: Police on my Back
B5: Broadway

INISTA!
A1: Lightning Strikes
A2: Something About England
A3: Rebel Waltz
A4: Let's Go Crazy
A5: The Sound of Sinners
B1: Bankrobber
B2: Charlie Don't Surf
B3: The Call Up
B4: If Music Could Talk
B5: The Street Parade

I actually just created the 'INISTA!' disc so I could cut some great songs from the main event without feeling guilty about it, but after having worked over the sequence a bunch I'm now stoked on this tracklist.
This is probably the best double you can procure from Sandinista. This could have been a contender. Use the best of the rest for b sides.
I turned this into a playlist on Friday and have been listening all weekend. It is fantastic.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

They could have done a LC, double on Sandinista and then double on Rat Patrol and called it a career. Would have been a helluva way to go, but you can’t change history. We got some fantastic music along the way. Just fun to think about what could have been. I’m a Beach Boys fan and there is a guy who has devoted a ton of time to recreating their entire catalog.

Heston

Post by Heston »

WestwayKid wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 8:03pm
Heston wrote:
msza2 wrote:
Yeah, MSZA2 WORLD is a wild place. Bonus LPs are abundant, people throw ducks at balloons, and nothing is as it seems. I actually added a couple tracks to the Bonus LP. Now I've got my S! double.

SAND!

INISTA!

I actually just created the 'INISTA!' disc so I could cut some great songs from the main event without feeling guilty about it, but after having worked over the sequence a bunch I'm now stoked on this tracklist.
This is probably the best double you can procure from Sandinista. This could have been a contender. Use the best of the rest for b sides.
I turned this into a playlist on Friday and have been listening all weekend. It is fantastic.
I guess I'm going to have to do the same. Gonna burn it to discs for the car.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
29 Jan 2018, 1:07am
WestwayKid wrote:
28 Jan 2018, 8:03pm
Heston wrote:
msza2 wrote:

SAND!

INISTA!

I guess I'm going to have to do the same. Gonna burn it to discs for the car.
Never to be seen again. ;)

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I keep playing this mix. It really does sound good. It works toward a cohesive sound (sorry Hitsville). Heavy, dense sounds...druggy (in a good way). The best bands always somehow find a way to get it wrong - which is maybe why we love them...but Sandinista should have been a double.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

I’ll also say hearing some of these songs out of order...I’m hearing them in a different light...different context. Kingston Advice, for instance. Never more than an album track...but in this order...it sounds better.

Heston

Post by Heston »

I still haven't got around to burning a copy, I must get on it.