Sandinista! Which format?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!

Which format should it have been released as?

Triple
53%
Double
28%
Single
19%
EP
No votes

Total votes: 47

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Re: Sandinista! Which format?

Post by laxman »

I listened to the whole of Sandinista on Sunday, the Sound Sytem version, as a result of another thread on here somewhere. I agree with that thread that it sounds great. I’ve grown up with all 36 tracks and i’m Happy for it to remain as it is. However I will try to take a listen to the Nine to Nine version. Also it strikes me (not twice, just once) that the tracks that have been left off would make a great set of accompanying singles, the singles campaign that we were promised back then and that stalled with Bankrobber.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

The problem I have with Sandinista! Is it's just too damn short.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 4:43pm
I could use four more sides at least.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Kory wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 4:48pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 4:43pm
I could use four more sides at least.
Exactly. I think they should have had a least two more sides of mixes. 36 tracks on a CD these days and I feel cheated.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

msza2 wrote:
21 Jul 2015, 9:08pm
laxman wrote: That's a decent bonus LP!
Yeah, MSZA2 WORLD is a wild place. Bonus LPs are abundant, people throw ducks at balloons, and nothing is as it seems. I actually added a couple tracks to the Bonus LP. Now I've got my S! double.

SAND!
A1: Magnificent Seven
A2: The Leader
A3: Corner Soul
A4: Somebody Got Murdered
A5: One More Time
B1: Up in Heaven
B2: Kingston Advice
B3: Washington Bullets
B4: Police on my Back
B5: Broadway

INISTA!
A1: Lightning Strikes
A2: Something About England
A3: Rebel Waltz
A4: Let's Go Crazy
A5: The Sound of Sinners
B1: Bankrobber
B2: Charlie Don't Surf
B3: The Call Up
B4: If Music Could Talk
B5: The Street Parade

I actually just created the 'INISTA!' disc so I could cut some great songs from the main event without feeling guilty about it, but after having worked over the sequence a bunch I'm now stoked on this tracklist.
This is probably the best double you can procure from Sandinista. This could have been a contender. Use the best of the rest for b sides.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
24 Jan 2018, 7:41pm
msza2 wrote:
21 Jul 2015, 9:08pm
laxman wrote: That's a decent bonus LP!
Yeah, MSZA2 WORLD is a wild place. Bonus LPs are abundant, people throw ducks at balloons, and nothing is as it seems. I actually added a couple tracks to the Bonus LP. Now I've got my S! double.

SAND!
A1: Magnificent Seven
A2: The Leader
A3: Corner Soul
A4: Somebody Got Murdered
A5: One More Time
B1: Up in Heaven
B2: Kingston Advice
B3: Washington Bullets
B4: Police on my Back
B5: Broadway

INISTA!
A1: Lightning Strikes
A2: Something About England
A3: Rebel Waltz
A4: Let's Go Crazy
A5: The Sound of Sinners
B1: Bankrobber
B2: Charlie Don't Surf
B3: The Call Up
B4: If Music Could Talk
B5: The Street Parade

I actually just created the 'INISTA!' disc so I could cut some great songs from the main event without feeling guilty about it, but after having worked over the sequence a bunch I'm now stoked on this tracklist.
This is probably the best double you can procure from Sandinista. This could have been a contender. Use the best of the rest for b sides.
I like it.

coffeepotman
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by coffeepotman »

Of all the re-workings of the S! album this looks like the best, I'm gonna line them up and see how it flows but I think I already know it will be great!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

coffeepotman wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 7:30am
Of all the re-workings of the S! album this looks like the best, I'm gonna line them up and see how it flows but I think I already know it will be great!
Agreed. I'm going to do the same and give it a spin.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

coffeepotman wrote:
It is good, however I've played this album so many times that when I'm expecting the next track to be a certain track it just feels so odd. And yes I miss Hitsville UK.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 5:38pm
coffeepotman wrote:
It is good, however I've played this album so many times that when I'm expecting the next track to be a certain track it just feels so odd. And yes I miss Hitsville UK.
I like Hitsville but it would have made a perfect b side. With this in mind I would keep MSZA's album track listing and use the best of the rest as b-sides for these three singles...

Bankrobber/The Equalizer
Mag 7/Ivan Meets GI Joe
Police On My Back/Hitsville UK

That's three proper b-sides rather than Stop the World, Radio One and Mag Dance which are all frankly a waste of vinyl in my eyes.

My only gripe with MSZA's tracklisting is I would keep Corner Soul and Let's Go Crazy together.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
Agree. But I listened to your remaster/re-imagining of 'Sandinista!' the other night and was blown away by the flow of the thing. (thank you again for your work, mate).

But, yeah, I've known plenty of folk who've so fully absorbed an album that any deviation from the original tracking order feels odd, and especially on an album such as 'Sandinista!', where it's not all "proper" songs, but this lengthy investigation into pure sound, rhythm, texture, and absorption into ideas.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

muppet hi fi wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 7:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:
Agree. But I listened to your remaster/re-imagining of 'Sandinista!' the other night and was blown away by the flow of the thing. (thank you again for your work, mate).

But, yeah, I've known plenty of folk who've so fully absorbed an album that any deviation from the original tracking order feels odd, and especially on an album such as 'Sandinista!', where it's not all "proper" songs, but this lengthy investigation into pure sound, rhythm, texture, and absorption into ideas.
I think that is exactly it mate. It's a brave record by it's sheer tenacity to knock out a triple 36 track album. That's more songs than The Jam released over their last three albums.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Heston

Post by Heston »

Marky Dread wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 7:16pm
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:

I think that is exactly it mate. It's a brave record by it's sheer tenacity to knock out a triple 36 track album. That's more songs than The Jam released over their last three albums.
Hard to compare as the Jam had a bit more quality control than the Clash, and a lot of S! is reworkings, failed experiments and dub versions. I think the Gift had 2 or 3 fillers but otherwise their last 3 LPs were pretty great from start to finish.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:

I think Weller is too much of a formal traditionalist (hey, nothing wrong with that) to have attempted something like 'Sandinista!', or even 'London Calling' (never mind 'Combat Rock'/'Rat Patrol'). Tracks like "Music for the Last Couple" or "Trans-Global Express" are brilliant (I think), but I reckon he was too much of a control freak to let Bruce and Rick really get out of their heads and Paul's comfort zone to attempt something as audacious and expansive as the vibe the Clash were locked into after '79.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:
25 Jan 2018, 7:31pm
Marky Dread wrote:
muppet hi fi wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
coffeepotman wrote:

I think Weller is too much of a formal traditionalist (hey, nothing wrong with that) to have attempted something like 'Sandinista!', or even 'London Calling' (never mind 'Combat Rock'/'Rat Patrol'). Tracks like "Music for the Last Couple" or "Trans-Global Express" are brilliant (I think), but I reckon he was too much of a control freak to let Bruce and Rick really get out of their heads and Paul's comfort zone to attempt something as audacious and expansive as the vibe the Clash were locked into after '79.
The Clash and Jam went down really different paths but like you say, both are totally viable ways of of working. Weller was probably too angry at the time to make a Sandinista or Combat Rock. That's why I love the best parts of The Gift, he is so fucking pissed off. I'd put "Running On the Spot" up there as one of my favourite lyrics of all time by anyone.