Sandinista! Which format?

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!

Which format should it have been released as?

Triple
53%
Double
28%
Single
19%
EP
No votes

Total votes: 47

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Sandinista! Which format?

Post by Heston »

I'm asking which format you would have preferred Sandinista as.

As an aside, what were your first impressions of the album? I'd especially like to hear from those who bought it when it came out.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Sandinista! Which format?

Post by white man »

Double for me mate. Just cant narrow it down enough for a 10-12 track single. Paid £3.99 for the Vinyl at a record shop next to what is now The Corner Flag (formerly Idols) in Sunderland.
I was blown away by the range of styles of music on it. As me and my mates were moving away from 1-2-3-4 Punk it was kinda cool to be appreciating the likes of New Rap and older Jazz type stuff.
The songs i would keep underlined, those out in red.
25 tracks over two albums.

1. The Magnificent Seven
2. Hitsville U.K.
3. Junco Partner

4. Ivan Meets G.I. Joe
5. The Leader
6. Something about England
7. Rebel Waltz

8. Look Here
9. The Crooked Beat
10. Somebody Got Murdered
11. One More Time

12. One More Dub
13. Lightning Strikes (Not Once but Twice)
14. Up in Heaven (Not Only Here)
15. Corner Soul
16. Let's Go Crazy
17. If Music Could Talk
18. The Sound of Sinners
Disc: 2
1. Police on my Back
2. Midnight Log
3. The Equaliser
4. The Call Up
5. Washington Bullets
6. Broadway

7. Lose this Skin
8. Charlie don't Surf
9. Mensforth Hill
10. Junkie Slip
11. Kingston Advice
12. The Street Parade
13. Version City

14. Living in Fame
15. Silicone on Sapphire
16. Version Pardner
17. Career Opportunities
18. Shepherds Delight
Last edited by white man on 18 Jul 2014, 9:15pm, edited 2 times in total.

Heston

Post by Heston »

white man wrote:Double for me mate. Just cant narrow it down enough for a 10-12 track single. Paid £3.99 for the Vinyl at a record shop next to what is now The Corner Flag (formerly Idols) in Sunderland.
I was blown away by the range of styles of music on it. As me and my mates were moving away from 1-2-3-4 Punk it was kinda cool to be appreciating the likes of New Rap and older Jazz type stuff.
Double for me too, as much as I've grown to love its crap bits.

I bought it as a 14 year old and was thoroughly perplexed. I just put it on a shelf and made a mental note to come back to it when I was ready for it. When I got into smoking a bit of weed it all made sense, though I think it would have came anyway. Gotta say, I can still really enjoy it now and discover new things after 30 years, that's not a bad feat.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Box set.

Pussies. :naughty:

Heston

Post by Heston »

Here's my extractions, leaving a 26 song double...

1. The Magnificent Seven
2. Hitsville U.K.
3. Junco Partner

4. Ivan Meets G.I. Joe
5. The Leader
6. Something about England
7. Rebel Waltz

8. Look Here
9. The Crooked Beat
10. Somebody Got Murdered
11. One More Time

12. One More Dub
13. Lightning Strikes (Not Once but Twice)
14. Up in Heaven (Not Only Here)
15. Corner Soul
16. Let's Go Crazy
17. If Music Could Talk
18. The Sound of Sinners
Disc: 2
1. Police on my Back
2. Midnight Log
3. The Equaliser
4. The Call Up
5. Washington Bullets
6. Broadway

7. Lose this Skin
8. Charlie don't Surf
9. Mensforth Hill
10. Junkie Slip
11. Kingston Advice
12. The Street Parade
13. Version City

14. Living in Fame
15. Silicone on Sapphire
16. Version Pardner
17. Career Opportunities

18. Shepherds Delight

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Triple and then some.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Triple (and as Chuck said) and then some.

I bought the UK import when it was released. I was already inured to where the Clash were going when London Calling came out, which fairly well shocked me. I remember calling Oarfolkjokeopus (record store in Mpls. managed by Replacements "discoverer" and manager Peter Jesperson), where I bought all my precious imports with my pizzeria dishwashing gig, and asked when the new Clash album would be in. The dude (Terry Katzman I think) said 'oh you mean (and I thought he said) "London For Calling"? Yeah, we just got it yesterday, imports, have a few left'. When I listened to that the first time, I knew something was different from what I thought the band was "about".

So by the time Sandinista! came out (I'd already bought 'The Call Up' single, and was a bit nonplussed) I was less surprised or annoyed than I was on my first several listenings of LC. I remember having a good herb supplier then; it was Christmas time; I'd moved back home briefly, 16 or 17, and I recall decorating the Christmas tree with my younger sister and listening to S! from the next room, it being an abnormally cold winter that year (even by Minny standards) and feeling wonderfully warm inside (literally and figuratively) and being delightfully high with my sis, and thinking 'this album sounds like a Christmas tree looks'. All glissando and shining and sparkly but earthy and muddy and sensual.
So that's my take on the album - it's like a perpetual Christmas tree, with its presents stacked beneath it, that goes on and on, unwrapping and discovering new things for years to come. A wonderful work of music, art, imagination, humor, irreverence, deep soul, and ideas. Always those ideas the lads were presenting.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Heston wrote:I'm asking which format you would have preferred Sandinista as.
Something format, currently obsolete, that only people on off-shore oil rigs or Arctic stations might own.

Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Heston

Post by Heston »

muppet hi fi wrote:Triple (and as Chuck said) and then some.

I bought the UK import when it was released. I was already inured to where the Clash were going when London Calling came out, which fairly well shocked me. I remember calling Oarfolkjokeopus (record store in Mpls. managed by Replacements "discoverer" and manager Peter Jesperson), where I bought all my precious imports with my pizzeria dishwashing gig, and asked when the new Clash album would be in. The dude (Terry Katzman I think) said 'oh you mean (and I thought he said) "London For Calling"? Yeah, we just got it yesterday, imports, have a few left'. When I listened to that the first time, I knew something was different from what I thought the band was "about".

So by the time Sandinista! came out (I'd already bought 'The Call Up' single, and was a bit nonplussed) I was less surprised or annoyed than I was on my first several listenings of LC. I remember having a good herb supplier then; it was Christmas time; I'd moved back home briefly, 16 or 17, and I recall decorating the Christmas tree with my younger sister and listening to S! from the next room, it being an abnormally cold winter that year (even by Minny standards) and feeling wonderfully warm inside (literally and figuratively) and being delightfully high with my sis, and thinking 'this album sounds like a Christmas tree looks'. All glissando and shining and sparkly but earthy and muddy and sensual.
So that's my take on the album - it's like a perpetual Christmas tree, with its presents stacked beneath it, that goes on and on, unwrapping and discovering new things for years to come. A wonderful work of music, art, imagination, humor, irreverence, deep soul, and ideas. Always those ideas the lads were presenting.
Great stuff, Muppet.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Single disc. Pairing good material with lesser does not make for a better album, only a diluted one.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Ahem...some of us do live on oil rigs and need to be entertained. :rolleyes:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:Ahem...some of us do live on oil rigs and need to be entertained. :rolleyes:
That's what REO Speedwagon is for.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Jimmy Jazz
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

7" Single: Career Opportunities/Guns Of Brixton

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:7" Single: Career Opportunities/Guns Of Brixton
I wouldn't have put it past them to do it! :mrgreen:
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:7" Single: Career Opportunities/Guns Of Brixton
It's been done. :shifty: