The Clash @ US Festival (LC new?)

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

The Clash @ US Festival (LC new?)

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Complete "London Calling"

[youtube][/youtube]

BNC

[youtube][/youtube]

Looks like Historic Films also has the complete "This Is Radio Clash":
http://historicfilms.com/s9q6

HF's "Hate And War" is incomplete:
http://historicfilms.com/29xp

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Clash @ US Festival (LC new?)

Post by Rat Patrol »

[youtube][/youtube]

This is definitely a lower-gen upgrade. Clearer sound, no VHS scan lines, and Paul is all of a sudden is...uh...there in the mix. :yuck:

From the timecode, LC surviving the power interruption, blips of videotape static at the start, and the camera cuts matching the existing broadcast...I'm going to guess taped straight off the outbound feed from the satellite truck. If it were from the network it would've missed LC/TIRC during the outage...if it were from the raw inbound feed we wouldn't have all the finished-product camera edits in the same places.

Sadly still not the holy-grail master tape we got glimpses of in TFIU and the official-release Us '83 clip show. But it +1's the bootleg by scraping off all the VCR grime to lowest-gen for the broadcast source.

Somebody tell Graham. He can cross a little something off his bucket list if this is acquireable intact.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

I guess I kind of emmulated Paul's style of dress throughout my late teens, twenties, and thirties... :disshame:
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

biopunk wrote:I guess I kind of emmulated Paul's style of dress throughout my late teens, twenties, and thirties... :disshame:
No (unironical) shame in that.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Plot thickens.

[youtube][/youtube]

This is same broadcast-masterish sound and vid quality. No timecode. No watermark from that Historic Films outfit selling this. And it's tagged with the ubiquitous "Vevo" logo so it's a paid YT submission.

Also...somebody else had this whole show uploaded in high-quality including TIRC complete recently and got 'em all yanked down by DMCA requests. Is this new source about to get an officially sanctioned release or TubeYoubing?
Last edited by Rat Patrol on 24 Sep 2013, 11:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

I hope so,,,Mick owes it to us

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Chuck Mangione wrote:
biopunk wrote:I guess I kind of emmulated Paul's style of dress throughout my late teens, twenties, and thirties... :disshame:
No shame in that (unironical).
Yeah, after I posted that, I realised, considering what the rest of the band wore, I channeled my fashions wisely...
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

And it was ineed Historic Films that nuked that guy's entire YT account with takedown requests. He posted it 3 months ago...Historic Films posted their 2 watermarked clips yesterday. Shit...we missed a complete free upgrade by mere hours. :meh:

None of old VHS dubs have been taken down, and none of the KYR/SISOSIG clips that were repeated on TV shortly after the Festival were taken down. So...somebody is indeed intending to monetize the clean broadcast tape. Vevo only has the one TiV clip (mislabeled of course) posted June 10...maybe that's the advance promo for whatever Historic Films wants you to pay good money for to watch their watermark cover half the screen?

Well...if it got out momentarily out there, better brush up on my Spanish and start looking for this on all the foreign YT clone sites that don't have those pesky takedown requests stopping them from reposting every video their search crawlers suck out of YT.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

So, Historic Films and Icon TV Music own 2 different sets of footage?

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:So, Historic Films and Icon TV Music own 2 different sets of footage?
Looking at Historic Films' site, it's a shitload of TV broadcasts (including other US '83 artists). So they must have the Showtime feeds and a large collection of TV videotape. But all of their stuff appears similar to this...the broadcast feeds, not the source film. The holy-grail stuff is still under lock and key. I'm going to guess from the sheer size of the US Fest dump that they hauled themselves a big box of original broadcast VTR reels from the simulcast under contractually-kosher terms.

I can see the logic of cross-licensing stuff around like this. A 1983 standard-def cable telecast with 1983-level audio and picture quality is not going to be anything that moves DVD units in 2013, or anything a bread-and-butter DVD documentary distributor would waste time packaging up with any for-release production values. This is only a marginal upgrade over the VHS boot, and everyone has either already had the bootleg for 2 decades or has seen it clutter the tippy-top of a Clash YouTube search for 7 years now. But if they quasi-iTunes sell it in as-is, the lower-gen source is just good enough to monetize for those who want it. So long as they wield a heavy banhammer with the YT takedown requests on anyone who tries to immediately repost it. Which it looks like they are doing quite very vigorously right now.

The full film master sampled for the SISOSIG clip is the only thing that'll earn real revenue on an official release from hardcores and punters alike. But...look at the stratospheric difference between the broadcast quality vs. the master film quality. Nobody holding the holy-grail footage has to worry about sharing a piece of the pie with Historic Films selling a bunch of Flash-compressed individual clip rips from an aging Betamax VTR. If anything the smaller outfits are starting to see an advantage in setting the low-quality stuff loose if it's going to whet appetite for a bigger return on the higher quality stuff. Not everyone takes the big studio attitude that defeating the Internet is a bigger War on Terror than the War on Terror itself.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

FWIW...the guy with the nuked YouTube account is best known by the handle "TheDudeStrummer" elsewhere on the internets. Has a FB page full of rare Clash pics, had one of the largest Clash/Strummer-related YT channels, and was involved in some of the Strummer tributes. Which kinda sucks that Historic Films got his entire account shut down because he did have a lot of original video from the tribute shows on his channel. I don't think he's a member here, but if anyone knows who he is that's the guy to contact about this source. I'm not sure I'd want to give Historic Films money without knowing first with total clarity what resolution these videos would come in, whether they'd have that stupid watermark taking up half the screen, and whether it costs steep premium $$$ to get a normal-res version free from the watermark and over-compression.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Rat Patrol wrote:FWIW...the guy with the nuked YouTube account is best known by the handle "TheDudeStrummer" elsewhere on the internets. Has a FB page full of rare Clash pics, had one of the largest Clash/Strummer-related YT channels, and was involved in some of the Strummer tributes. Which kinda sucks that Historic Films got his entire account shut down because he did have a lot of original video from the tribute shows on his channel. I don't think he's a member here, but if anyone knows who he is that's the guy to contact about this source. I'm not sure I'd want to give Historic Films money without knowing first with total clarity what resolution these videos would come in, whether they'd have that stupid watermark taking up half the screen, and whether it costs steep premium $$$ to get a normal-res version free from the watermark and over-compression.
Seems someone among the Faceplace crowd here should contact him. Hoy?
"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back in Whittier, they're not much bigger than two meters.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Wow, these are fab.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Joe looks like he's telling Mick to turn himself down a bit at the end of Cadillac. And is gesturing for a conference at the end of Train in Vain. And generally seems surly.

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Inder wrote:Wow, these are fab.
Yes. You can almost hear the bubbles rising from Mick's guitar being drowned in the bathtub. And Pete's snare sounds tinnier than ever.

I swear, Bill Graham's thugs must've retaliated via mixing board against the press conference shenanigans. I know the band's not exactly in top form, but this mix is so skewered it sounds like purposeful sabotage. You can see in the LC footage Mick rushing to the back of the stage to see if there's something wrong with his amp.
Last edited by Rat Patrol on 27 Sep 2013, 1:38pm, edited 1 time in total.