Give 'Em Enough Rope Album Cover

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Re: Give 'Em Enough Rope Album Cover

Post by Chuck Mangione »

I'm (honestly) crazed that that hasn't brought up many quarrels or serious efforts, and enough to make a difference about it on here or in any other fan club. Year after year, it just sat there with the wrong vocals, Joe sounding so unauthentic on it, when it could have easily been pitch adjusted in any half-assed manner to render it more a listenable song. But no, it just sat there with people occasionally listening to it and at the wrong speed. :naughty: Tsk tsk.

Fuck the bell.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Chuck Mangione wrote:I'm (honestly) crazed that that hasn't brought up many quarrels or serious efforts, and enough to make a difference about it on here or in any other fan club. Year after year, it just sat there with the wrong vocals, Joe sounding so unauthentic on it, when it could have easily been pitch adjusted in any half-assed manner to render it more a listenable song. But no, it just sat there with people occasionally listening to it and at the wrong speed. :naughty: Tsk tsk.

Fuck the bell.
Yeah, we need to start addressing the more important stuff.

So...is it Sound "of" Sinners or Sound "of the" Sinners?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Chuck Mangione wrote:I'm (honestly) crazed that that hasn't brought up many quarrels or serious efforts, and enough to make a difference about it on here or in any other fan club.
The vast majority of the fans here don't define their fandom by an ability to spot trains or pick nits.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Mind you, it's not that good sounding a cover in any form. But it's a full fuckin song - not full second - for crying out loud, and no one even bothered to have the priorities to touch it. Not trying to sound negative against solely you, Briggy, I simply think we should keep our proclivities generally in the direction for more meaningful stuff like full songs than meer half-seconds of material, no matter if it's a line Joe burped out live or studial defect on record.

And I'm not taking credit for any hero work. It's a shitty cover that is hardly essential. I just think we should primarily focus, again, on getting songs and shows, etc. straight, instead of what Joe's pants have scrawled on it (another nitpicky but friendly example which several here are culprits of)...

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:I'm (honestly) crazed that that hasn't brought up many quarrels or serious efforts, and enough to make a difference about it on here or in any other fan club.
The vast majority of the fans here don't define their fandom by an ability to spot trains or pick nits.
I see your point. I don't personally consider myself a fan in that way. Typically more of a completist than an obsessive. But it can be either one on some days.

Heston

Post by Heston »

Chuck Mangione wrote:Mind you, it's not that good sounding a cover in any form. But it's a full fuckin song - not full second - for crying out loud, and no one even bothered to have the priorities to touch it. Not trying to sound negative against solely you, Briggy, I simply think we should keep our proclivities generally in the direction for more meaningful stuff like full songs than meer half-seconds of material, no matter if it's a line Joe burped out live or studial defect on record.

And I'm not taking credit for any hero work. It's a shitty cover that is hardly essential. I just think we should primarily focus, again, on getting songs and shows, etc. straight, instead of what Joe's pants have scrawled on it (another nitpicky but friendly example which several here are culprits of)...
What are we actually talking about here? Have I missed something?
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

There's an '84 interview with Joe bemoaning how interviewers sometimes miss the point — something like, "...and I'm going there're thousands of people dying in South America! And they ask, so, uh, could you tell us a bit more about your hair?"

Personally, he always struck me as a pomade man.

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Heston wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:I'm (honestly) crazed that that hasn't brought up many quarrels or serious efforts, and enough to make a difference about it on here or in any other fan club. Year after year, it just sat there with the wrong vocals, Joe sounding so unauthentic on it, when it could have easily been pitch adjusted in any half-assed manner to render it more a listenable song. But no, it just sat there with people occasionally listening to it and at the wrong speed. :naughty: Tsk tsk.

Fuck the bell.
Yeah, we need to start addressing the more important stuff.

:lol:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:
Chuck Mangione wrote:Mind you, it's not that good sounding a cover in any form. But it's a full fuckin song - not full second - for crying out loud, and no one even bothered to have the priorities to touch it. Not trying to sound negative against solely you, Briggy, I simply think we should keep our proclivities generally in the direction for more meaningful stuff like full songs than meer half-seconds of material, no matter if it's a line Joe burped out live or studial defect on record.

Booted versions of Heartbreak Hotel being at the wrong speed, they owe it to the fans to correct it as they sound like Joe has his feet to the fire.

Heston

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
Heston wrote:

Booted versions of Heartbreak Hotel being at the wrong speed, they owe it to the fans to correct it as they sound like Joe has his feet to the fire.
Ah right, I thought Chuck was referring to the Elvis version in his earlier post.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Heston wrote:
Are you referring to the inner spine/disc tray on The Essential Clash CD?

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Heston wrote:

I'm talking about Heartbreak Hotel take one and take two and how we should focus more on being erudite completists in terms of contributions of as many Clash performances as possible. Stuff that if we do have, maybe we've forgotten to make it downloadable. Also, Israelites video, S! outtakes, and any gems that we know are out there and within reach. And maybe someday your bell-corrected Koka Kola's and whathaveyou on the list, I guess. But that's lower on the list is what my point was.

http://clashcity.com/boards/viewtopic.p ... 30#p340987 Edit: 101 beat me to it.
Last edited by Chuck Mangione on 20 Jun 2013, 5:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Heston

Post by Heston »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Heston wrote:
I think so

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

Heston wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Heston wrote:
I think so
SoTS. Joe confirmed it in an interview after the Amarillo '83 show: http://www.pingwi-fi.com/wp-content/upl ... 122404.pdf

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:There's an '84 interview with Joe bemoaning how interviewers sometimes miss the point — something like, "...and I'm going there're thousands of people dying in South America! And they ask, so, uh, could you tell us a bit more about your hair?"

Personally, he always struck me as a pomade man.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft