Sound System Announcement

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Re: Sound System Announcement

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:Wow. Covering at least four price points now - Hit Back, Hit Back plus DVD deluxe, The Studio Box, and Sound System (with an iTunes variant). Go Sony!

Maybe they can add one with CTC and lower the price for that. Kidding!!

No one is paying for a remix and no one is agreeing to a remix. It would sell about fifty copies anyway... Also, there's a good argument to be made whether it's "The Clash" and as such belongs in the artistic canon of the band. Mick calls it "the dodgy Clash.". It's still available as a CD for anyone who wants to buy it.
It says The Clash on the sleeve, and it always will. I don't know why they don't just accept it after all this time. It might even reel a few more fans in. ;)
I always thought Essential was the most thorough "Best Of" and it included This Is England. Now that has been re-erased.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Heston wrote:
TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:Wow. Covering at least four price points now - Hit Back, Hit Back plus DVD deluxe, The Studio Box, and Sound System (with an iTunes variant). Go Sony!

No one is paying for a remix and no one is agreeing to a remix. It would sell about fifty copies anyway... Also, there's a good argument to be made whether it's "The Clash" and as such belongs in the artistic canon of the band. Mick calls it "the dodgy Clash.". It's still available as a CD for anyone who wants to buy it.
It says The Clash on the sleeve, and it always will. I don't know why they don't just accept it after all this time. It might even reel a few more fans in. ;)

+1
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Chuck Mangione
Spitting Image

Post by Chuck Mangione »

Heston wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:There's also this...

I really despise the way CTC is written out of history. Can people not make their own judgements as to whether they think it's rubbish?
Agree. Clash II deserve some form of recognition. Even sites I respect a lot like The Clash Blog or the Loving the Clash facebook page give very little acknowledgement of any topic Clash II related. Dedication means the whole thing, warts and all.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

biopunk wrote:
Heston wrote:

+1
It's nice to have some warts on a legacy, I think. A glossy black and white, Sony approved vision of the Clash, wearing super cool sunglasses in New York, that drops a ceaselessy fascinating abortion by the wayside isn't as interesting as what actually happened.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog

Post by matedog »

"Ceaselessly fascinating abortion" is probably the best description of Cut the Crap I've ever heard.

So yeah, it's annoying and a bit questionable to leave it off, but I'm still pretty excited for this set.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Even Essential Clash has some glaring omissions. No GotW, Spanish Bombs or Death Or Glory but they found room for bloody Stop the World?

We are yet to see the definitive Clash comp imo.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

So it looks as though the advert at the end of Cost of Living won't be on this set either.
Why the hell not? What's the big problem adding a minute and a half of the original disc to a $300 box? Fucking assholes.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

I thought this new box set was going to be like the Jam's Direction, Creation, Reaction, which gave you all the studio songs they recorded (the good, the bad and the ugly). It's an interesting listen, with singles, then the album, a few rare tracks and the b-sides.
I don't mind CTC being omitted, but This is England and Pouring Rain are great songs and should be included.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

tmtmrm wrote:I believe the giant cig will be a poster tube for the poster.
I think the ciggy looks very tacky. Not a good message for minors buying the box set, either.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
I think the ciggy looks very tacky. Not a good message for minors buying the box set, either.
Probably not the target market, to be fair, unless they're very wealthy youngsters, completely certain about an old rock band.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

matedog

Post by matedog »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
You're right to a degree, but that might be a little late:

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Silent Majority wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Probably not the target market, to be fair, unless they're very wealthy youngsters, completely certain about an old rock band.
I can imagine that the young hipsters will illegally download the stuff, dig it, and want the badges, dog tags, etc. in the box set. Then they ask their parents to buy it for Xmas.

Also, why isn't the poster tube shaped like a spliff? :shifty:

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

matedog wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
You're right to a degree, but that might be a little late:
Yeah, even in the promo vids for the box set, non-talking Joe is holding a fag. A giant ciggy poster tube is more in your face, though. And it's something the consumer is actually purchasing.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

Heston wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:There's also this...

I really despise the way CTC is written out of history.
Yeah. I listened to CTC this morning, though.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

Well, it's the complete works of The Clash with Mick Jones. It's like leaving that Henry VIII that Shakespeare ostensibly collaborated on with Fletcher at the end of his career out of the First and Second Folios. This is the surviving band's own production of their own Folio. Joe agreed to leave anything from CTC off Clash on Broadway and never played that material again. Paul didn't want it on here, and we know how outspoken he is ("I'd do it again" about sacking Mick). There's enough warts here. Not everything makes an anthology. You've all got Cut the Crap. So have I. Anyone who wants it can get it. They don't have to wear it like a badge in this box set if they don't choose to.