Clash minutiae

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Re: Clash minutiae

Post by Spiff »

Silent Majority wrote:
Spiff wrote:Wikipedia says that The Clash and the Meskies both covered an Eddie Cochran song, which I think is wrong.

I'll correct these entries, unless anyone can come up with evidence to the contrary.

Anyone?
Probably a bit of Brand New Cadillac based confusion.
That sounds likely.

By reading up on Eddie Cochran on Wikipedia, I learned that Gene Vincent was in the same car crash that killed Eddie.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

modskin
Unknown Immortal

Post by modskin »

Spiff wrote:
Silent Majority wrote:
Spiff wrote:Wikipedia says that The Clash and the Meskies both covered an Eddie Cochran song, which I think is wrong.

I'll correct these entries, unless anyone can come up with evidence to the contrary.

Anyone?
Probably a bit of Brand New Cadillac based confusion.
That sounds likely.

By reading up on Eddie Cochran on Wikipedia, I learned that Gene Vincent was in the same car crash that killed Eddie.
Yup, and Wednesday was the 40th anniversary of Gene's death.

Here's some amazing footage from his later years (1969). From a BBC documentary.

[youtube][/youtube]

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

My mate was talking to "Mensi" Mensforth from the Angelic Upstarts, and he reckons that after visiting the Clash in the studio during the Sandinista sessions, Mensforth Hill was named after him. He also claims there are bits of an interview with him played backwards during the song.

-- Clash minutiae.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Heston wrote:My mate was talking to "Mensi" Mensforth from the Angelic Upstarts, and he reckons that after visiting the Clash in the studio during the Sandinista sessions, Mensforth Hill was named after him. He also claims there are bits of an interview with him played backwards during the song.

-- Clash minutiae.
I think he may be telling the truth !!

[youtube][/youtube]

As far as I know there is no place called Mensforth Hill ?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Clash minutiae --

Mick changes the vocal phrasing for the last chorus of Rock the Casbah, adding an extra syllable to the word "don't."

-- Clash minutiae.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
17 Mar 2012, 9:36pm
My mate was talking to "Mensi" Mensforth from the Angelic Upstarts, and he reckons that after visiting the Clash in the studio during the Sandinista sessions, Mensforth Hill was named after him. He also claims there are bits of an interview with him played backwards during the song.

-- Clash minutiae.
All true.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Heston wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 4:26pm
Clash minutiae --

Mick changes the vocal phrasing for the last chorus of Rock the Casbah, adding an extra syllable to the word "don't."

-- Clash minutiae.
Good catch. It's not that "don't" has an extra syllable, more like Shareef has one less syllable causing "don't" to fall on an earlier beat. Last chorus "Shareef" has two syllables, but in the previous choruses he kinda makes it have three syllables: "sha-re-eef."
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Heston

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 5:24pm
Heston wrote:
Clash minutiae --

-- Clash minutiae.
Good catch. It's not that "don't" has an extra syllable, more like Shareef has one less syllable causing "don't" to fall on an earlier beat. Last chorus "Shareef" has two syllables, but in the previous choruses he kinda makes it have three syllables: "sha-re-eef."
Yeah. I wanted to explain all that but couldn't be bothered. Thanks.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 5:32pm
matedog wrote:
10 Apr 2018, 5:24pm
Heston wrote:
Clash minutiae --

-- Clash minutiae.
Yeah. I wanted to explain all that but couldn't be bothered. Thanks.
-- Heston minutiae.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia