Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Post by Heston »

biopunk wrote:Damn. Could have sworn it was you.

It must be on one of those EET threads...
Look back 3 posts, the link is there.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

biopunk wrote: Funnily enough BR16ADE_R055E, I actually do still have a M*A*S*H t-shirt from back then...
:cool:

biopunk
Unknown Immortal

Post by biopunk »

Heston wrote:
biopunk wrote:Damn. Could have sworn it was you.

It must be on one of those EET threads...
Look back 3 posts, the link is there.
Got it, thanks!
Chewing oot a rhythm on my bubblegum

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
BR16ADE_R055E wrote: Didn't I help you w/ that, Inder? Repro from Japan.
I want one are they still available anywhere or should I hire a contract killer to take Inder out?
That was long ago, circa 2004? I have a couple original ones that are long sleeve and have the star on one shoulder.
Cool design as Inder said.
Indeed. Better than the CTC artwork.
Yep much better.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

jeffslate
Dirty Punk

Post by jeffslate »

I located those Worcester, Providence and Hartford pics if you still need em.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I located those Worcester, Providence and Hartford pics if you still need em.
Thanks, Jeff, please advise Mark of your discovery -- we're just beginning to get into the planning stages of what we're doing, plus there's all the gifts that we have to make good on! :mrgreen:

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

we're just beginning to get into the planning stages of what we're doing, plus there's all the gifts that we have to make good on! :mrgreen:
Yup, seems like we've been under radio silence for quite awhile -- but here's what we're doing with our summer vacation, so to speak:

Suffice to say -- we've got some interesting things happening, and there's more coming in the pipeline...we're just getting warmed up, and I'm looking forward to the end result.

PS Obviously, the above timeline doesn't apply -- at this point, it's mid-2015. But things are about to hot up, as the song says.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

...Make that 2019.

Just a quick update to let everyone know: Mark and I have completed the rough draft, which we have to turn around to the publisher (Akashic) by May 1 (though that deadline may be pushed back a couple months, depending on how long the editing takes). We would then go into post-production, and have it hit the racks, as they say, by 2019.

We're also going to see if it will be possible to get the full CTC lyrics reprinted,as a special section, or something along those lines: no promises, of course, since those requests typically go through several pairs of hands, but we'll give it our best shot to make it happen.

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

2019? Damn, man - don't know if I'll still be among the quick by then!

Seriously, looking forward to this, Ralph. Not exactly my fave era for the Clash :shifty: , but if anyone can tell the story well, it's you.
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Seriously, looking forward to this, Ralph. Not exactly my fave era for the Clash :shifty: , but if anyone can tell the story well, it's you.
Thanks! For a lot of people, I suspect, it's not their favorite era, but those perceptions cut different ways -- for me, it was the only time that I did see the Clash, and it worked well for me. I distinctly remember "Pouring Rain" as the standout of the new songs, and going home, thinking, "If they can get a fraction of that down on vinyl, it'll be the kickass comeback record of the decade..." :mrgreen:

As far as the 2019 date goes, well, that's publishing. Generally speaking, it takes roughly a year to get a book onto the racks, from conception to completion -- so it's not an industry for the impatient. Mark and I also have varying commitments that slowed us down, at certain points. In my case, since I work from home, that means I constantly have to think of things to do, so all my stuff doesn't end up on the sidewalk. :mrgreen:

That being said, 2019 marks 35 years after the Clash Mk II started touring, so it works from that side of things -- and I'm confident that, once our book appears, it'll be worth the wait.

NoMoreHugh
Long Time Jerk
Location: Home is a black leather jacket fitting sweetly to my brain

Post by NoMoreHugh »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 12:15am

Thanks! For a lot of people, I suspect, it's not their favorite era, but those perceptions cut different ways -- for me, it was the only time that I did see the Clash, and it worked well for me. I distinctly remember "Pouring Rain" as the standout of the new songs, and going home, thinking, "If they can get a fraction of that down on vinyl, it'll be the kickass comeback record of the decade..." :mrgreen:

As far as the 2019 date goes, well, that's publishing. Generally speaking, it takes roughly a year to get a book onto the racks, from conception to completion -- so it's not an industry for the impatient. Mark and I also have varying commitments that slowed us down, at certain points. In my case, since I work from home, that means I constantly have to think of things to do, so all my stuff doesn't end up on the sidewalk. :mrgreen:

That being said, 2019 marks 35 years after the Clash Mk II started touring, so it works from that side of things -- and I'm confident that, once our book appears, it'll be worth the wait.
That will be interesting to read what your point of view is. I feel the history books have written a very different story to how i remember that period.
I didn't know the new songs as the new album wasn't out yet but when I saw them at Brixton I was confused how everyone was singing along to "We Are the clash" and other new songs when i hadnt a clue where they had come from. I was thinking these must be really early songs by the way they were being delivered and how well they were going down with the crowd - they sounded like anthems.

The busking time and everyone was talking about them - Joes mohican etc there was a feel that the clash was coming back with a very punk ethic and a back to basics theme. Then the first single came out which was a big contradiction to how they were selling themselves . It kind of all went downhill from there on. Live they really tore the place apart - just the boolegs dont reflect that at all .

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Then the first single came out which was a big contradiction to how they were selling themselves . It kind of all went downhill from there on. Live they really tore the place apart - just the boolegs dont reflect that at all .
I can relate. I had a similar moment, myself -- I remember bringing over the 12-inch single for a punk friend of mine, to his dorm, because he couldn't wait to hear it. As soon as the swirling synth and drum machine intro kicked in, his brow furrowed, and he said, gesturing to his turntable: "I thought this was what he (Joe) didn't want."

"That's showbiz!" I responded. We cracked up over that one, but, yeah, I can understand how you (or anyone else listening, for that matter) might have felt confused.

As far as the boots go, well, the listening experience varies dramatically, that goes without saying. Personally, two of my favorite audience recordings from this era are from The Expo (Portland, ME: 4/12/84), and St. Paul Civic Center (5/15/84) -- both grungy-sounding as all get out, complete with song cutoffs, weird tape flips and fairly ropey quality, honestly.

And yet, I feel like right there I'm in the room, a quality that many of the better-sounding recordings from this time don't always capture. Guess it's six of one, and half a dozen of the other, or something like that.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

Would be great if someone could chronicle The Bonds saga. Probably not enough detail to fill a book.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Very excited this project is still moving forward. It's still the time of the band that most needs some in depth (reliable) treatment. And the dysfynction is still fascinating to read about. Listen to the first five records, read about the sixth. Good motto for Clash fans.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 11:32am
Very excited this project is still moving forward. It's still the time of the band that most needs some in depth (reliable) treatment. And the dysfynction is still fascinating to read about. Listen to the first five records, live the sixth. Good motto for Clash fans.
Fixed.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft