Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 12:09am
Marky Dread wrote:
19 Jul 2018, 7:11pm
I've remastered some of The second line-up gigs.
I'd love to hear those...

Download them all from here. Just scroll through the posts and grab them all the links are still live.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11166

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

JohnSimonBeverly
Dirty Punk

Post by JohnSimonBeverly »

Marky Dread wrote:
Download them all from here. Just scroll through the posts and grab them all the links are still live.

[/quote]

Oh, I've completely missed that thread - that's fantastic! Thank you! You've done an awesome job with these recordings. I've downloaded all the Clash II gigs, and some other old favorites - so nice to have, especially the Bond's gig in such improved quality.

I've always loved the December 6, 1984 Brixton Academy gig with the extended One More Time intro, and had been thinking of remastering it myself but couldn't find a good FLAC source. This is awesome. Thanks again!

I'd love to see you take on the Five Alive/Stockholm recording, but I've never heard of a FLAC of that in circulation that wasn't a needledrop. Someone, somewhere (in Sweden?) should know who recorded it. Fingers crossed it turns up.

Are you thinking of doing the Hofstra University '84 gig?

Again - many thanks for this!

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

JohnSimonBeverly wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 5:04pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Oh, I've completely missed that thread - that's fantastic! Thank you! You've done an awesome job with these recordings. I've downloaded all the Clash II gigs, and some other old favorites - so nice to have, especially the Bond's gig in such improved quality.

I've always loved the December 6, 1984 Brixton Academy gig with the extended One More Time intro, and had been thinking of remastering it myself but couldn't find a good FLAC source. This is awesome. Thanks again!

I'd love to see you take on the Five Alive/Stockholm recording, but I've never heard of a FLAC of that in circulation that wasn't a needledrop. Someone, somewhere (in Sweden?) should know who recorded it. Fingers crossed it turns up.

Are you thinking of doing the Hofstra University '84 gig?

Again - many thanks for this!
[/quote]

Yep probably there is a fair few left on my list, cheers.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Vimmattu
Long Time Jerk

Post by Vimmattu »

Chairman, congrats for your book! I will definitely order it. Thanks a million for your work on this. After reading CK's and Nick Sheppard's comments about the book, I am really, really looking forward to it. Thank you!
- Pilled up and rrattling -

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Chairman, congrats for your book! I will definitely order it. Thanks a million for your work on this. After reading CK's and Nick Sheppard's comments about the book, I am really, really looking forward to it. Thank you!
Nick Sheppard's daughter, Lola, came to the NY event, and conveyed similar comments from her dad. So that was another personal highlight, one of many, on this particular promo tour. I will post more tidbits from it, as I get done sifting through them.

So, you're quite welcome. As I've said, it will be worth the wait -- it has been, for me, and I'm glad to see that's true of you, and everyone else here.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 10:45pm
Nick Sheppard's daughter, Lola, came to the NY event, and conveyed similar comments from her dad. So that was another personal highlight, one of many, on this particular promo tour. I will post more tidbits from it, as I get done sifting through them.

So, you're quite welcome. As I've said, it will be worth the wait -- it has been, for me, and I'm glad to see that's true of you, and everyone else here.
Really looking forward to reading this.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Vimmattu
Long Time Jerk

Post by Vimmattu »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
23 Jul 2018, 10:45pm

This is beautiful! It seems you have brought some justice and redemption with your book.

I am also keen on reading about your take on the history and sociopolitics of the Clash II era.
- Pilled up and rrattling -

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

I'm reading the book as I type. Lot's of political background information which is of course relative and necessary when researching this period of the band. Scargill/miners strike/Thatcher the evil stepmother/Reagan the wizard of Oz..etc.

There's a picture of the 5 man Clash stood posing outside an employment office possibly Camden that I had not seen before. Fuck the NME would have had a field day with this pic back in the day. 5 guys in a protest group all who have jobs!

This is why The Clash failed for me. They wanted to fight everybody's corner when they should of concentrated on their own internal battle first.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 6:34pm
I'm reading the book as I type. Lot's of political background information which is of course relative and necessary when researching this period of the band. Scargill/miners strike/Thatcher the evil stepmother/Reagan the wizard of Oz..etc.

There's a picture of the 5 man Clash stood posing outside an employment office possibly Camden that I had not seen before. Fuck the NME would have had a field day with this pic back in the day. 5 guys in a protest group all who have jobs!

This is why The Clash failed for me. They wanted to fight everybody's corner when they should of concentrated on their own internal battle first.
Don't have the book in front of me, but was it from this session?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 6:40pm
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes from that same session. I have seen that picture above and didn't really pay attention to the signs in the window however the pic in Ralph's book shows the shops fascia board with huge letter saying "Employment".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 6:54pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Yes from that same session. I have seen that picture above and didn't really pay attention to the signs in the window however the pic in Ralph's book shows the shops fascia board with huge letter saying "Employment".
Didn’t we discuss this photo before? I remember someone saying that it is still an unemployment office.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

matedog wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 10:24pm
Marky Dread wrote:
24 Jul 2018, 6:54pm
matedog wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Didn’t we discuss this photo before? I remember someone saying that it is still an unemployment office.
Unemployment Office is probably the wrong term. Employment Agency. This is a company that offers job vacancies but they then take a cut of your earnings as opposed to a Job Centre where you apply for the job. I'm speaking in terms of this being 1984/5.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Unemployment Office is probably the wrong term. Employment Agency. This is a company that offers job vacancies but they then take a cut of your earnings as opposed to a Job Centre where you apply for the job. I'm speaking in terms of this being 1984/5.
In short, a temp agency, right? What 'zines like Temp Slave were warning us about, so long ago, if you remember that one, in particular. :mrgreen:

I asked Nick about where this photo was taken , and to my recollection, he said the location was Shepherd's Bush. It was one of the first photo sessions with the new lineup, and one that quite a lot of publications used during this era (such as the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's advance interview with Joe, for instance, before they played there). Hope that helps.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

My book arrived this morning but I missed the bastard postman as I was asleep. Gotta wait 24 hours before I can pick it up and I'm sitting here with nothing to do all day. Shit!
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
25 Jul 2018, 2:53am
In short, a temp agency, right? What 'zines like Temp Slave were warning us about, so long ago, if you remember that one, in particular. :mrgreen:

I asked Nick about where this photo was taken , and to my recollection, he said the location was Shepherd's Bush. It was one of the first photo sessions with the new lineup, and one that quite a lot of publications used during this era (such as the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's advance interview with Joe, for instance, before they played there). Hope that helps.
Thanks for the info CR. Not heard of that zine you mention.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia