Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Here's an announcement that should be of some interest around here -- I'll just let the press release do the talking for now:

JOINT COMMUNIQUE FROM CO-AUTHORS MARK ANDERSEN/RALPH HEIBUTZKI
WASHINGTON, D.C. – In the fall of 1983, the Clash's lead singer, Joe Strummer, set about a daunting task: refashioning Britain's “Only Band That Matters” without two key members: guitarist Mick Jones and drummer Topper Headon.

With help from three twentysomething replacements – drummer Pete Howard, and guitarists Nick Sheppard and Vince White – Strummer aimed to revisit the first album's stripped-down martial urgency, and blow away the era's prevailing trends. “Pop will die,” he vowed, “and rebel rock will rule.”

Just two years later, the “Clash Mark II” lineup would dissolve amid a critically panned album (Cut The Crap), internal bickering, and managerial mind games. With rare exceptions, however, the whole story has only been told in bits and pieces.

Now, Mark Andersen and Ralph Heibutzki will join forces to tell the definitive account of this era in We Are The Clash: The Last Stand of the Only Band That Mattered, due out in summer 2013, on Akashic Books.

Andersen is best-known as co-author of Dance Of Days: Two Decades of Punk in the Nation's Capital (2001) and co-founder of punk activist collective, Positive Force DC, while Heibutzki first appeared in print with Unfinished Business: The Life & Times Of Danny Gatton (2003).

Both were originally working on separate but parallel tracks, until they decided to join forces – and produce a book that will speak for itself.

"I was a Clash fan from 1977 on, and the band was a tremendous inspiration for me as a teenager," Andersen recalls. "But this period of The Clash -- for all its failures --actually may have had an even bigger impact on the work I've done with Positive Force and other community projects since 1984."

“This is not only a great musical story, it's a compelling human interest saga,” Heibutzki said. “The issues that 'Strummer and company' faced during those two turbulent years – notably, the struggle to regain '77-era idealism in a hyper-commercialized environment – are relevant for any reader, musician or not.”

"Too many folks simply dismiss this era of the band," Andersen agrees. "This book will not only challenge some conventional musical critiques, but also place The Clash's drama in its proper political context: Reagan, Thatcher, the defeat of the miners' strike and the subsequent ascendancy of right-wing economics and politics."

The authors welcome all contributions, including anecdotes, flyers and graphics, plus whatever recollections that people wish to share, whether they saw the band live, or had any dealings with them. To contribute along those lines, contact Andersen at wearefamilydc@gmail.com or Heibutzki at chairmanralph@yahoo.com.

For additional information, visit http://www.chairmanralph.com.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Post by Heston »

Ohhhh yes. :approve:
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Chairman Ralph wrote:"Too many folks simply dismiss this era of the band," Andersen agrees. "This book will not only challenge some conventional musical critiques, but also place The Clash's drama in its proper political context: Reagan, Thatcher, the defeat of the miners' strike and the subsequent ascendancy of right-wing economics and politics."
This aspect especially appeals. Music as social and cultural history is more interesting to me than a relating of personality conflicts (tho in this case that voyeurism has its allure).

Very much looking forward to this, Ralph, and hope the project realizes your vision for it.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

clashrocker
Sightsee MC

Post by clashrocker »

I have skin cancer so I wish that they'd speed up the release date as I might not be around in the future to read about the past, and if the authors are looking for ideas for another book they might want to consider a book about Mick Jones' forays into formations of other groups throughout the years, maybe something called In and Out. Don't kill the messenger for this idea or hold his feet to the fire. Just a thought.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

What is it about Jones' time with different groups that gets your dander up?
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

clashrocker
Sightsee MC

Post by clashrocker »

I'm just sayin', he moves around quite a bit, never really establishing a base with anyone, besides Clash and some parts of BAD, otherwise he's been all over the map. He should start a group called GPS, at least then we might be able to track his comings and goings.

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

I'm quite happy for mick to have 20-odd things on his to-do list. Keeps him on his toes :shifty:

Rat Patrol
Unknown Immortal

Post by Rat Patrol »

OH...FUCK...YES. There's our EET Week '13 hook. :cool:

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

Solid.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

This sounds fantastic, I can't wait.

Also, Andersen's Dance of Days is one of my absolute favorite music history books. A collaboration between him and the Chairman on the final years of the Clash is like freakin' catnip for robots.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Also, Andersen's Dance of Days is one of my absolute favorite music history books. A collaboration between him and the Chairman on the final years of the Clash is like freakin' catnip for robots.
Thanks, Flex, for the good words -- and everybody else, as well. Mark and I look forward to whatever recollections or feedback that we get, because we definitely to hear from anyone who experienced the band during this era. A lot of work lies ahead, but we're excited about putting the whole story together.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Chairman Ralph wrote:

Thanks, Flex, for the good words -- and everybody else, as well. Mark and I look forward to whatever recollections or feedback that we get, because we definitely to hear from anyone who experienced the band during this era. A lot of work lies ahead, but we're excited about putting the whole story together.
I know a couple of people who hung around with the Clash on the North East leg of the busking tour. I will pester them for some stories.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I volunteered with Positive Force House back in college...I wonder if I ever crossed paths with Mark Andersen.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I know a couple of people who hung around with the Clash on the North East leg of the busking tour. I will pester them for some stories.
Thanks! Or have them get in touch with either one of us -- that works, too.

clashrocker
Sightsee MC

Post by clashrocker »

I don't have any personal connections with anyone in the band so I can't give you anything there but I did see a couple of Clash II shows in 1984 and it didn't compare to the real Clash. Sure, strummer strutted around like a man possessed and Simonon displayed all of his rock star moves but the inclusion of the other members of the band singing Mick's leads really threw me. I would have been happier if they just stayed in the background and played and let Strummer carry the load. I remember that the stage had scaffolding on both sides with tv monitors and Strummer had part of the microphone stand with the mic positioned upside down so that it looked like a walkie talkie. I was more intrigued by the new songs that they played than the older material in fact and felt that they should have let Mick rest in peace. Also I have to say that I liked Cut the Crap when it was released and made a mix of some of those songs with songs from the first BAD album, essentially having a new Clash album to listen to.