Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Re: Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Would be great if someone could chronicle The Bonds saga. Probably not enough detail to fill a book.
I 'd say there is: Gary Jucha, whom I recently interviewed for my website, is working on a novel set in that time frame. He was there for most of the run, and says that he took detailed notes about it -- so we'll see what emerges.

There are plenty of other aspects of the band's story to explore, in my humble opinion -- such as the Australian/Far East tour of 1982, which remains one of the less well-documented portions of their concert history. I've always been surprised that someone hasn't stepped up and given us that one.
Very excited this project is still moving forward. It's still the time of the band that most needs some in depth (reliable) treatment. And the dysfynction is still fascinating to read about. Listen to the first five records, read about the sixth. Good motto for Clash fans.
Yes, there was plenty of skulduggery to go around, though we're also going to talk about the band in context of the political events happening at the time -- including the miners' strike, of course, plus the rise of Reagan and Thatcher. Like I said: it'll be worth the wait.
Last edited by Chairman Ralph on 17 Apr 2017, 3:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Chairman Ralph wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 3:13pm
Yes, there was plenty of skulduggery to go around, though we're also going to talk about the band in context of the political events happening at the time -- including the miners' strike, of course, plus the rise of Reagan and Thatcher. Like I said: it'll be worth the wait.
Just to reiterate: this sounds great.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Just to reiterate: this sounds great.
Thanks. My hope is that our work also finally lays some myths to rest, as well.

Cross your fingers! :mrgreen:

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

The book I want to read more than any other is the one Mick hasn't written yet!!!

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

101Walterton wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 4:40pm
The book I want to read more than any other is the one Mick hasn't written yet!!!
I'd love to know what the hell Mick is up to these days. Talent like that shouldn't be allowed to retire.

Good luck with the book Ralph, I will certainly be buying a copy.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

muppet hi fi
Unknown Immortal

Post by muppet hi fi »

Ralph - you dig the boot of the May 15, '84 St. Paul gig? I was at that show (and the two earlier St. Paul gigs from '79 & '82).

Kinda surprised a chap such as yourself only got to see them in the Mark II era; I just turned 53, aren't you a year or two older?
Strong shoes is what we got and when they're hot they're hot!
- Marky Dread and his fabulous Screaming Blue Messiahs

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Seems like we'd have got it by now, wouldn't we? Still, never say never. :mrgreen:

I still keep hoping that he'll do the solo album to end all solo albums -- as he's more than capable of the task! :mrgreen:
I'd love to know what the hell Mick is up to these days. Talent like that shouldn't be allowed to retire.

Good luck with the book Ralph, I will certainly be buying a copy.
Thanks. As far as Mick's current doings, I think Teddy addressed that question some time ago -- but I can't find that particular response at the moment.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Ralph - you dig the boot of the May 15, '84 St. Paul gig? I was at that show (and the two earlier St. Paul gigs from '79 & '82).

Kinda surprised a chap such as yourself only got to see them in the Mark II era; I just turned 53, aren't you a year or two older?
Yes, I've always loved that one -- for me, one of the highlights is "Junco Partner," which has that sloppy, Rolling Stones-ish, "could fall apart any minute" vibe, but somehow, it hangs together.

To answer your other question: I'm the same age as you, actually.

I didn't get to see the four-man Clash lineup for one simple reason -- when they came here in 1980, I was too young to get into most of the venues they were playing at the time. Also, they usually came to Chicago and/or Detroit, places that I didn't start seeing until I made it to college.

I could have seen them on that summer '82 tour -- which included more mid-sized metro cities, like Grand Rapids, which isn't terribly far from my neck of the woods -- only a) I didn't know about it at the time, and b) my family was struggling financially, so I was preoccupied with that business.

By the time I got to college, fall of '82, I had another chance (theoretically) to see them at the old Pontiac Silverdome. I could have snagged a ride with somebody, I'm sure.

But I let it go, because a) I've always been allergic to enormo-domes of any sort, and b) that came during their tenure of supporting of the Who, so I didn't think it was worth trekking out to see what would have amounted to a 45-minute set.

So that's why my lone Clash concert experience came during the Mark II era, which was more than ample enough for me, especially since it marked the first glimpse of my future alma mater (Michigan State University).

If you had time or money to see everybody you ever wanted, you'd probably get nothing else done... :mrgreen:

So I saw Black Flag, the Clash, the Meat Puppets, New Order, Public Image, all "back in the day" -- didn't get to see Husker Du, The Replacements, X. To me, these all things all come out in the wash, at a certain point.

And that, incidentally, is why I find live tapes so important. Because, years later, I did get a copy of the Clash's '82 gig in Grand Rapids, and made a copy for my compadre, Tony Salazar, who eventually died at 39, from a brain aneurysm. I can't tell you enough how overjoyed he was to have it, because he wanted to go, and couldn't make it, either.

So it really does come out in the wash, and then some, in more ways than one.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

white man wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 6:04am
Would be great if someone could chronicle The Bonds saga. Probably not enough detail to fill a book.
It would make a brilliant New Journalism-style oral history, if only someone could get all those great and various people who were around the scene and those gigs to talk! We're starting to lose some of them too.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

It would make a brilliant New Journalism-style oral history, if only someone could get all those great and various people who were around the scene and those gigs to talk! We're starting to lose some of them too.
For sure! We've had pretty some good stories posted on this board, as I recall -- that would be one place to start, not to mention those folks from the support bands, and whoever worked there at the time.

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Chairman Ralph wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 12:46am
For sure! We've had pretty some good stories posted on this board, as I recall -- that would be one place to start, not to mention those folks from the support bands, and whoever worked there at the time.

All the Clash compatriots and the graffiti/music/film crowd from NYC, most all of which have passed on speaking to Clash biographers and would probably do the same now. The Clash reach in NYC at the time was like an octopus!

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

All the Clash compatriots and the graffiti/music/film crowd from NYC, most all of which have passed on speaking to Clash biographers and would probably do the same now. The Clash reach in NYC at the time was like an octopus!
Yes, it was -- that much seemed obvious to me at the time, when I stayed up to watch them on Tom Snyder. As far as who passes (or doesn't), that's not my department -- just one of many places to start, for whoever wants to take up the banner. :mrgreen:

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

I know, Ralph. I kind of wish people would talk, but I also understand why they don't. Even the most sympathetic journalist has their own ideas about the narrative. The one time I myself talked to a writer very close to the Clash camp, who I consider a friend, I wasn't completely thrilled with the way some things came out in the story.

Clash II I suppose is an entirely different kettle of fish, save those who have chosen to reenter classic Clash Ladbroke Grove society.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

I know, Ralph. I kind of wish people would talk, but I also understand why they don't. Even the most sympathetic journalist has their own ideas about the narrative. The one time I myself talked to a writer very close to the Clash camp, who I consider a friend, I wasn't completely thrilled with the way some things came out in the story.

Clash II I suppose is an entirely different kettle of fish, save those who have chosen to reenter classic Clash Ladbroke Grove society.
Speaking from experience, I can say that mistrust of the fourth estate isn't always the top reason why people don't talk -- though that factor can help, sometimes. For example, when I did the Danny Gatton book, quite a few people were willing to talk because I wasn't from his neck of the woods (Washington, D.C.), which made them feel better that someone who wasn't enmeshed in that scene was writing his life story.

Other times, folks hold out because a) they're nursing some ancient grudge over some long-forgotten issue against someone else that they know you've talked to already, or plan to approach, b) they swear they're doing their own project, to keep control of their story (which is fine, but doesn't always materialize)), or c) there's some other angle they're working (like a movie tie-in, a photo book, or something along those lines, of which nothing often comes, as well).

Whatever scenario applies, I usually tell folks, you're free to do whatever you want: just be aware that, at a certain point, the window closes, and the opportunities tend to dry up (in terms of public interest). Then again, never say never: I never imagined expected Woody Woodmansey would end up writing a book about his career as a Spider From Mars. But I try to get him for my Mick Ronson retro story, which appeared in Goldmine in fall '94, not long after his passing (though I get did get Trevor; didn't get Bowie, but didn't expect to). Then again, I suppose he never imagined that he'd be the last Spider standing. :mrgreen:

white man
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by white man »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
18 Apr 2017, 12:23am
white man wrote:
17 Apr 2017, 6:04am
Didn't Snoh have a page dedicated to it somewhere back in the day.