Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
dave202
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Post by dave202 »

JohnS wrote:
07 Sep 2018, 8:16pm

Thatchers decision to close the pits was not driven by a desire to save public money, her aim was to crush the NUM, the most powerful union in the country and described by her as “the enemy within”.
One of Thatcher's chief supporters when she was head of the opposition prior to the '79 election was Kieth Joseph. He said in a speech at conference in 1977 that when they got into power they would have to bide their time, but when the opportunity was there they would have to take on and beat the power base of the trade union movement, and in case anybody didn't know who he meant, he mentioned the miners by name.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I want to add that I loved the bit on Eddie King's designs. Seriously cool.

Telecaster
Dirty Punk

Post by Telecaster »

Really enjoyed this book. There's an interesting story about a recording session in NYC.

I don't know how Nick, Pete and Vince managed to put up with the negative atmosphere for so long.
There was never going to be a positive way forward for the band, with Bernie in control.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

dave202 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 12:19pm
JohnS wrote:

Thatchers decision to close the pits was not driven by a desire to save public money, her aim was to crush the NUM, the most powerful union in the country and described by her as “the enemy within”.
One of Thatcher's chief supporters when she was head of the opposition prior to the '79 election was Kieth Joseph. He said in a speech at conference in 1977 that when they got into power they would have to bide their time, but when the opportunity was there they would have to take on and beat the power base of the trade union movement, and in case anybody didn't know who he meant, he mentioned the miners by name.
John Cooper Clarke knew the deal.

In an X-certificate exercise
Ex-servicemen excrete
Keith Joseph smiles and a baby dies
In a box on Beasley Street

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Marky Dread wrote:
27 Sep 2018, 12:36pm
dave202 wrote:
19 Sep 2018, 12:19pm
JohnS wrote:

Ex-servicemen excrete
JCC is a wise man :mrgreen:

TeddyB Not Logged In
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 20

Post by TeddyB Not Logged In »

On topic, Mick mentioned yesterday he is going to finish reading “Ralph Heibutski’s book” before he moves onto Bob Woodward’s “Fear” (of course, like many of us, having already read multiple excerpts of the latter). FYI Ralph, Mick bought his copy in Foyle's. He also mentioned that he thought Joe looked messianic on the cover. I joked, like, you mean crazy? But he didn’t.

Off topic, I thought it was pretty cool that Beto O’Rourke said that Ted Cruz was “working for the clampdown” in their first debate.

Semi-on topic, Dr. John Cooper Clarke, with twice the wit of the Sleaford Mods, who I posit are a JCC pastiche with a different accent.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 20

Post by Silent Majority »

TeddyB Not Logged In wrote:
28 Sep 2018, 3:25am
On topic, Mick mentioned yesterday he is going to finish reading “Ralph Heibutski’s book” before he moves onto Bob Woodward’s “Fear” (of course, like many of us, having already read multiple excerpts of the latter). FYI Ralph, Mick bought his copy in Foyle's. He also mentioned that he thought Joe looked messianic on the cover. I joked, like, you mean crazy? But he didn’t.
Nice one, Ralph, I'm made up for you.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Ex-servicemen excrete
Yes, he did! One of my inspirations, who's inspired a few writings along similar lines. I'm looking forward to his Anthologia collection, which is yet another thing that I have to squeeze out -- or strum up, as it were -- a few additional pennies for. :mrgreen:
I don't know how Nick, Pete and Vince managed to put up with the negative atmosphere for so long.
There was never going to be a positive way forward for the band, with Bernie in control.
Indeed. That said, as Mark and I have observed, one of the most impressive aspects of the story is Vince, Nick and Pete's dedication -- which held, more or less, up till the end -- to the band, and trying to make this new incarnation work.
Off topic, I thought it was pretty cool that Beto O’Rourke said that Ted Cruz was “working for the clampdown” in their first debate.
Oh, not off topic to me!

We need more punk rockers, past or present, in Congress, as opposed to what we do have -- this crazy quilt collection of angry white jillionaires (like those clogging up the Senate Judiciary Committee, for instance -- Charles Grassley's avert-thy-gaze stare reminds me of a woozy mummy shaking off the cobwebs as it stumbles out of its crypt, wondering, why is so much fresh air and light flooding into the chamber...but I digress).
On topic, Mick mentioned yesterday he is going to finish reading “Ralph Heibutski’s book” before he moves onto Bob Woodward’s “Fear” (of course, like many of us, having already read multiple excerpts of the latter). FYI Ralph, Mick bought his copy in Foyle's.

He also mentioned that he thought Joe looked messianic on the cover. I joked, like, you mean crazy? But he didn’t.
Thanks, Teddy, look forward to seeing what he's got to say about it all! With an exception here or there, the good vibes (and comments) continue to stream in, so the view looks fine from here.

101Walterton
The Best

Post by 101Walterton »

Does Joe looking messianic mean he looks like he can score a blinding free kick?

bmc
Dirty Punk

Post by bmc »

Quick review

Great book. Well written-ish. Intertwines Joe's political statements on stage against Thatcher, Reagan through 84/85 with the actual political events. A chronology that includes much first-hand commentary from the time and more recent comments from those involved. Traces the band's songs and tours.

If you like music, hate politics this book is not for you. If you hate the thought of the Clash without Mick, this book is not for you either as it seeks not to rubbish or disown post-Mick Clash. As a historical record of Clash 2 there is no comparable. It says this was an authentic Clash moving on with some successes before eventually succumbing to Bernie's strange behaviour and Joes personal issues.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

bmc wrote:
30 Sep 2018, 4:06pm
Quick review

Great book. Well written-ish. Intertwines Joe's political statements on stage against Thatcher, Reagan through 84/85 with the actual political events. A chronology that includes much first-hand commentary from the time and more recent comments from those involved. Traces the band's songs and tours.

If you like music, hate politics this book is not for you. If you hate the thought of the Clash without Mick, this book is not for you either as it seeks not to rubbish or disown post-Mick Clash. As a historical record of Clash 2 there is no comparable. It says this was an authentic Clash moving on with some successes before eventually succumbing to Bernie's strange behaviour and Joes personal issues.
Any news on the BMC book, please?

bmc
Dirty Punk

Post by bmc »

I tend to work logically so I’ve gone back to tidying up the site with lots of missing stuff. New site, same look, beefed up will be done by Xmas. Kinda helping tidy up the research part. We had a problem when some stuff was taken offline (links) so we’re archiving them and updating the myriad of video.

Then the book.

It’s huge so it will have to be stripped back to gigs, recordings, set lists, brief details and an indication of some links. The lite version.

Once done we’ll look at a encyclopaedic book, maybe just electronic?

Graham

bmc
Dirty Punk

Post by bmc »

Forgot to add to my review. BMC gets no reference. There’s no reference to the banks of monitors on stage (or the video production) which was seen as radical and copied by U2.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

bmc wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 1:56pm
I tend to work logically so I’ve gone back to tidying up the site with lots of missing stuff. New site, same look, beefed up will be done by Xmas. Kinda helping tidy up the research part. We had a problem when some stuff was taken offline (links) so we’re archiving them and updating the myriad of video.

Then the book.

It’s huge so it will have to be stripped back to gigs, recordings, set lists, brief details and an indication of some links. The lite version.

Once done we’ll look at a encyclopaedic book, maybe just electronic?

Graham
Thanks for the update. An electronic version sounds like a good idea.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

bmc wrote:
01 Oct 2018, 1:59pm
Forgot to add to my review. BMC gets no reference. There’s no reference to the banks of monitors on stage (or the video production) which was seen as radical and copied by U2.
I remember reading about this in the book, am I remembering something else?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc