Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Clash clash clash. ¡VIVAN LOS NORTEAMERICANOS DEL IMCT Y LAS BRIGADAS DEL CADILLAC NUEVO!
Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Re: Clash II Book Coming Soon...Summer 2013

Post by Heston »

matedog wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 9:54am
Hermann Young Wagner isn't the dude's real name. I can't remember it exactly, but it is listed in the book
Very punk...

https://www.discogs.com/artist/330335-Hermann-Weindorf
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 4:02pm
matedog wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 9:54am
Hermann Young Wagner isn't the dude's real name. I can't remember it exactly, but it is listed in the book
Very punk...

https://www.discogs.com/artist/330335-Hermann-Weindorf
Hermann Strummer!

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Worked with Hannes Schöner (of Fair Control), Udo Jürgens, Righeira, Alex Köberlein, Stephan Remmler, Christian Franke, La Bionda, Ricchi E Poveri.
I like how The Clash don't even get a mention in his bio.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Heston

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 4:59pm
Worked with Hannes Schöner (of Fair Control), Udo Jürgens, Righeira, Alex Köberlein, Stephan Remmler, Christian Franke, La Bionda, Ricchi E Poveri.
I like how The Clash don't even get a mention in his bio.
Bernie probably made him sign a disclaimer.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

I'd say the outcome made him sign a disclaimer, but apparently he's responsible for this

R-2167497-1285009786.jpeg.jpg
R-2167497-1285009786.jpeg.jpg (80.57 KiB) Viewed 4727 times

Heston

Post by Heston »

Olaf wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 5:53pm
I'd say the outcome made him sign a disclaimer, but apparently he's responsible for this

What in the name of fucking god is that all about?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Heston wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 6:00pm
Olaf wrote:
09 Aug 2018, 5:53pm

What in the name of fucking god is that all about?
To be honest, I'm kinda reluctant to try and find out.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Just wrapped up the other day. This was a great read. A lot of time is spent on the busking tour which I guess I always found to be interesting, but never thought too much of. Clearly it was the absolute highlight for all three new guys and the book does a good job of emphasizing how unusual/ballsy a move it was.
Exactly. So ballsy, in fact, that -- with a couple of notable exceptions, including Frank Black (or whatever he calls himself these days), and Julian Cope -- no major band has done anything like it since. Having busked a time or two myself, I know how hard that kind of gig is, but it was certainly one of the best moves the reconstituted Clash made, without a doubt.
Hermann Young Wagner isn't the dude's real name. I can't remember it exactly, but it is listed in the book. Hey Ralph, did you try to get a hold of him at all?
I reached out to the studio (Weryton) a couple times via e-mail, but never got a response. There's always folks who adopt that "too cool for school" attitude, either because a) they don't think you're serious, b) they don't think it's worth their time, or c) they think inclusion in a book automatically equates to their pension pot (or should)...none of which were true, with us. Par for the course with these sorts of things.
]There was a demo Joe and Kosmo made with random mariachi musicians in late 84. This would be a fascinating listen if it ever surfaces (though I'm not holding my breath).
What about the song that Vince mentions in his book -- the one recorded for the kid who was in a coma? That'd be quite a find in itself, it ever turned up. Then again, I could say that for a tape of the gig I went to at MSU -- I've never seen that surface, either, though you'd think somebody or other had a recorder tucked under their coat that night. Oh, well.
Kosmo mentions that this time with the band was the lowest point of his life. Clearly he has regrets.
As illustrated by his comment of wanting to leave quite a bit earlier, but not wanting Joe and Paul to feel let down if he did. I imagine he was quite torn up, at various points in the story, especially once it became clear that things were about to go south.
Paul comes across as a non-factor in the whole escapade.
I suppose. I think Paul has always been a "go with the flow" sort of guy, and these days, if he ever doubts the wisdom of that posture -- he only needs to check his bank balance for confirmation that it worked out well enough. :mrgreen:
We discussed Joe's mental state earlier, but he was a total mess as well around this time
See my comments earlier in this post about the HFA factor, as well. No doubt, he was a mess, for lots of reasons that we enumerate in the book.
Also, thanks for the shout out in the acknowledgements. That was a complete surprise to me! I've had a lot of help with the megalist and Rattie in particular for reuploading all the shows after megaupload was shutdown.
Shouldn't have been! We're standup guys, and we believe in giving credit where credit is due, no more, no less.

vacuumcleaner
Corner Soul

Post by vacuumcleaner »

Dear Everybody,

I stumbled upon a copy of We Are the Clash at the Alhambra (California) library on Friday. Totally shocked and happy. There I was glumly trying to escape the heat wave thumbing through old encyclopedias (which is what I do for fun). But then I was cool under heat.

I liked that photo which was taken where they took the photo for the first Clash album.

Chairman Ralph
Long Time Jerk

Post by Chairman Ralph »

Dear Everybody,

I stumbled upon a copy of We Are the Clash at the Alhambra (California) library on Friday. Totally shocked and happy. There I was glumly trying to escape the heat wave thumbing through old encyclopedias (which is what I do for fun). But then I was cool under heat.

I liked that photo which was taken where they took the photo for the first Clash album
Glad you found it, and can stay cool -- we're in for a roughly week-long stretch of high 80s-plus temps, starting Friday. :cry: But I look forward to seeing what you think when you're done.

A couple other items, while I'm thinking about it...note to muppet: the Jerry Nolan bio Q+A should run later this week, or early next week. It'll probably run in two parts. I only mention it here, since you asked the question here.

Here's an overview of the signings that I have done -- for an interesting triva item, go to pic number six, that's all I'm sayng for now:
http://chairmanralph.com/communiques/

Live Audio from our joint event/presentation at Politics & Prose (Washington, D.C., 7/06/18), and Brickbat Books (Philadelphia, PA, 7/10/18):
http://chairmanralph.com/spokenwordtracks/

Last but not least, here's an email interview that Mark and I just did, get it right here:
http://www.vol1brooklyn.com/2018/08/22/ ... the-clash/
Last edited by Chairman Ralph on 05 Sep 2018, 2:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

BR16ADE_R055E
Unknown Immortal

Post by BR16ADE_R055E »

deny
Long Time Jerk

Post by deny »

Hi Chairman Ralph

I have finally received my copy from Amazon which has taken ages to arrive.

Whilst I am looking forward to reading it & I am filled with some dread as this was a truly depressing period.

Cheers

dent
Joining the Street Parade

lanini66
Dirty Punk

Post by lanini66 »

I'm still waiting for my copy. Amazon sucks...

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Amazon DOES suck. Can we all boycott them please?

Extra incentive: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/04/tech ... value.html
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
05 Sep 2018, 12:23pm
Amazon DOES suck. Can we all boycott them please?

Extra incentive: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/04/tech ... value.html
Amazon can get fuckin' bent. I ordered a copy from my indie bookstore and requested a copy be stocked at the local library.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!